TV shows are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: TV shows are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

Loki season 2

I'm conflicted on this season. I liked the overall story, but the time travel and multiverse stuff felt messy and inconsistent. And the writers never attempted to explain any of that. Like, Loki's time slipping is pointed out to be impossible in the TVA, and the character's essentially just pass it off by saying "that's weird". I mean, any explanation would have just been technobabble nonsense, but not to even attempt to justify it after making a big deal that it's impossible? That's just lazy writing to me.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I've been watching the live action Netflix Avatar the Last Airbender series. So far I've only watched 4 of the 8 episodes. I enjoyed the first two episodes. The 3rd and 4th... not so much. Being only 8 episodes, they've compressed a lot of plot elements from various episodes of the cartoon together. It worked well enough for the first two episodes, given a lot of was they compressed was background stuff they explored through several episodes of season 1 of the cartoon. So we basically get the whole story of the start of the war and Aang running away when he learns he's the Avatar, ending up in the iceberg right off the bat. But starting with episode 3, they start putting together plots that had nothing to do with each other. Some of it kinda works, and most of it doesn't. Such as, the Freedom Fighters and the Mechanist living in Omashu. It works in that the Freedom Fighters target the Mechanist, who they'd obviously see as a threat for handing over plans to the Fire Nation. But how is the Mechanist being blackmailed by the Fire Nation? The whole point of him making the deal with the Fire Nation in the cartoon is that they had no such protection at the Northern Air Temple. Well Fire Nation spies are all over the city... somehow. The writers never really explain it, they just have Zhao say they have a way. If they can do that, why haven't they just taken the city already? They sorta forget about the war balloon plot. I mean, I guess they can bring it up again at some point, and they kinda will have to, but it looses the pay off when they don't show the Fire Nation getting their hands on it here. So the plot kinda falls apart. Oh, and really surprising, they throw in some of The Cave of Two Lovers, a season 2 episode from the cartoon, into episode 4 of this show, which was completely out of place here, nor did I like the changes they made to it. Frankly, I think they threw it in more for fanservice since fans love the Secret Tunnel song so much, and they didn't even do that justice.

So I dunno... I still need to finish the season. I think it's better than the live action movie they did years ago so far, but it's still not as good as the original cartoon.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Continuing Netflix's Avatar The Last Airbender...

I was not a fan of many of the changes they made in episodes 5 and 6... It starts out as Hei Bai's story, but shortly after we see Hei Bai (in dark spirit form), the kids become lost in the fog of lost souls (nice reference to the Legend of Korra) and end up meeting Koh. Oh, and Sokka has done the ice dodging ritual before his father left to fight in the war... And did a pretty bad job of it apparently, so he overheard his father said he's disappointed in him. Exact opposite of everything in the cartoon. Anyway, at this point Hei Bai's part in the story get dropped. Aang does plant a seed, but without actually seeing it pacify Hei Bai, it felt like an empty gesture. Anyway... Aang, running away from Koh, stumbles upon Gyatso in the spirit world. I'm guessing that he's like Iroh in LoK, given he explains to Aang he chose to live in the spirit world following his death. Not sure if I like this change or not. It feels a little cheap for Gyatso to tell Aang there's nothing he could have done against the Fire Benders, rather than Aang to learn how to forgive himself for running away. At any rate, he tells Aang he needs to go talk to Roku about Koh. They completely neutered the Avatar Roku plot. It was way too easy for Aang to talk to Roku and they've also removed Roku informing Aang about Sozin's comet. Instead, he tells Aang about a totem he stole from Koh. And rather than Roku taking over to help Aang get out, June captures Aang. For some reason, they have June flirting with Iroh. I'm guessing they didn't want the old man hitting on the younger woman, but it's odd to flip it like this.

Episode 7 and 8 reaches the Northern Water Tribe. Still have Master Pakku's sexism, but they've cut out that he had been betrothed to Katara's and Sokka's grandmother. So it's just the fact that the women all want to help defend their home that helps convince him to change. Zhao having been to Wan Shi Tong's Library is cut out. Apparently the Fire sage's had all the information he needed about the moon and ocean spirits. They have a prototype war balloon to get them to the spirit oasis as well. Which would work... except we never saw the Fire Nation spies in Omashu get those plans. The Freedom Fighters stole it first. Aang merging with the ocean spirit is implied to be something he can't come back from... but it plays out mostly the same as it did in the cartoon. Once the moon spirit is restored, the ocean spirit separates from Aang. In the aftermath, turns out the siege of the north was just a distraction so the Fire Nation could capture Omashu, and Sozin's Comet is on its way...

It was just announced today that this series has been greenlit for season 2 and 3. Hopefully they tighten up the writing. I think it started out strong, but when it came to condensing different plots, it got extremely rough. I've left a lot out they changed. It would take too long to point out everything, because they really changed a lot in order to condense the story, but also make it somewhat different from the cartoon. Some of the changes are ok, but most of them I don't think the writers thought out completely... Sometimes they contradict themselves. I'm surprised that they included some stuff from the later seasons, and even Legend of Korra, but left out some important details from the season they were supposed to be adapting first and foremost. The more I think about it... the more problems I come up with. It certainly is better than the M. Night Shyamalan movie, but it's still far below what a live action adaptation of this series should be.