Animated Review Thread

Some cartoon with big chins and a little girl that got beloved by fans and taken off TV to make way for a different show on another network. Yeah, that's fair.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Re: Animated Review Thread

Post by donosaur »

I assume that if any bot saw Shockwave and Longarm separately, they'd be able to figure out they were the same. His entire disguise depends on the autobots having no idea that Shockwave exists. So the crane is just a really tanky looking crane, but no one has any reason to notice. There'll be no Punch/Counterpunch style shenanigans.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Precisely so. Of course, that's ruined by the end of S2, but.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

Not on Cybertron, ha! I imagine there could be an episode where Sentinel refuses to believe/chooses to suppress the information Optimus gives him. The former could be a little too much like "Mission Accomplished," it would be more likely to be the latter. Of course the sooner Shockwave gets outed, the sooner we get to see him tear up some Autobots. I'm hoping he's almost as dangerous as Megatron.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Well, from what we've seen of the trailers for "Transwarped", it looks like Shockwave's ousting will form the core of the plot there.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Target Purple Shockwave

This is only the fourth TFA figure I've added to my collection. I enjoy the show for the writing, but the aesthetic isn't one that I like, particularly applied to Transformers. So only a few of the figures have tempted me. G1 Shockwave's always been a favorite, and the purple deco on TFA Shockwave combined with the $5 price tag sold me. Was it a good purchase? Read on... since I currently have him sitting in Longarm disguise, I'll start there.

Longarm Prime: stumpy, dark figure. Primarily purple and black, with small areas of white. The Autobot insignia is raised, something I always enjoy. He's got elbow, shoulder and knee movement. The crane arm is stuck on the back, and I like to display it with the arm going up rather than hanging down like a tail or something. Longarm's color scheme doesn't quite seem 'Autobot-ish', but then this is not the original scheme he was designed for. An adequate figure, understandably restricted by all the sliding and rotating joints that allow for transformation.

Shockwave: The 'true' identity of the figure, so I suppose I should judge how different Longarm Prime is from Shockwave rather than the other way around. And the answer is, not much. I appreciate the effort that went into making Shockwave taller, with the rotating faction sigil and different details here and there, but truth be told only a blind man won't see all the similarities between Shockwave and Longarm. The homage to G1 Shockwave, which is what sold me on the figure in the first place, works pretty well with the purple color scheme.

Vehicle modes: both are one of the 'it's X because we say it is' variety. The H-tank is passable, but the crane is just about absurd in its failure to convince. Even as a 'Cybertronian' vehicle, it looks like a pile of parts rather than anything real. Or possibly an H-tank standing on its tiptoes.

I'm impressed by the ideas behind this figure, and the attempt to do a two-robot/two-vehicle transformer is laudable, but the ultimate execution is so-so. Shockwave's robot and tank are the better of the two, while Longarm gets a decent robot mode and an unimpressive vehicle mode. This figure was worth the $5, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Animated Activators Bumblebee

Since I got this little guy packed with Shockwave, I thought I'd review him as well. Activators, so far as I can tell since this is the only one I own, are essentially the basic or scout class figures for Animated. The gimmick is spring-loaded auto transformation. I've never picked one up because they are, bluntly, way overpriced at $8.50 each. But as part of my $5 Shockwave set, Bumblebee was quite affordable.

Vehicle mode: a little yellow sportscar with a black stripe and red siren on top. In the show, Bumblebee scanned the police lieutenant Fanzone's car for his vehicle mode, hence the siren. A little yellow mini-car is typical for BB, so the vehicle mode suits him.

Transformation: press the strobe light on top, and the transformation is 75% done. The arms spring out to the side, and the top of the car and the back spring backwards and reveal the head. All that's left to do is fold the arms down, split the legs and fold the front of the car down to form the feet.

Robot mode: If you like the Animated aesthetic, you'll like this figure. I'm a bit 'meh' about it. It's a decent figure in it's own right. Stable, with a decent amount of articulation. The hands molded at an odd angle inside the doors are the only real problem I have. They just don't look good.

Overall: a 'cute' and decent little representation of Animated Bumblebee. Normally overpriced, but an otherwise decent basic Transformer.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

...excuse me, did you say $5 price tag?

Clearance sales must be spectacular in your area. Now I gotta get down to a Target and see if they're on special here.

I dunno, it's weird, but I kinda don't like the purple on Shockwave. For some reason he reminds me of Energon Shockblast. Which I also sorta liked, but still...

For five bucks, though, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

Holy crap you're alive
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

SCOOOOOOUUUUUURGE!! Dude, I am so happy to see you're still around! *manhug*

Anyway, sorry to hit you with bad news right when you come back, but not only did the sale end weeks ago, but it was actually a mistake. It was supposed to be $2 off, but whoever set everything up goofed and made it $20 off instead. The packs were only five dollars for a couple of days, then they corrected the price. Of course, most people who wanted them grabbed them during then anyway (I was one) but it's still a major burn for those that find out later.

But hey, you're back! Let's celebrate that, at least!
Skriek
Protoform

Post by Skriek »

I got Activators Megatron today, and he is awesome. He's as awesome as Leader Megatron isn't. His knees aren't pointed inward, his head can turn, his feet can move differently in such a way that it is better, even though they lost the ability to move them in the way that makes his soles touch the ground. (Are you still following?) And because of the ball joints in his legs general poseability is better. I was amazed when even his fists could turn, something I did not expect.

He could use some more paint though, they only painted the front, so if you turn him to the side, he's almost all grey.
And the vehicle isn't that good, but hey, he's an activator.
Recommended. Though not for the price I bought him for (€11), but I live in the Netherlands, so other people can probably get him for cheaper. I expect.