Transformers: Legacy

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers: Legacy

Post by Sparky Prime »

Some new Target Exclusive reveals today...

Red Cog - a repaint of Cog from the Siege line.
Dinobot - A repaint of Kingdom Grimlock. I guess they're going for the look of the original toy, but with the white and black stripes in beast mode... it looks more like Grimlock. Actually, I'd prefer if this were Grimlock, it looks better than the Kingdom release IMO.
Terrorsaur - A repaint of Golden Disk Collection Terrorsaur, with the original toy's paint scheme.

And Masterpiece Movie Blackout
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If I see Terrorsaur or Cog, I will pick them up. (The only thing that I am going to make a point of hunting for is Jhiaxus.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Another Amazon exclusive set, the Wreck 'N Rule set, has been revealed...

Comic Universe Impactor and Spindle - Retool of Siege Impactor to look more like the Marvel comics version and a retool of Fossilizer Paleotrex changing the skeletal T-Rex alt mode into a skeletal Spinosaurus.
Leadfoot and Masterdominus - Retool of Kingdom Mirage and Fossilizer Ractonite, changing the skeletal Styracosaurus into a skeletal Mastodon
Springer - Redeco of Siege Springer
Prime Universe Bulkhead - Redeco of Legacy Bulkhead
Diaclone Universe Twin Twist - Redeco of Titans Return Twin Twist using the Diaclone colors.

Each comes with a piece of the "Wreckers Hammer" that can be assembled by collecting all 5.

Kinda odd how the first two in the set are a pair of deluxe-class figures, while Twin Twist is on his own. I would have thought they would have paired him with his brother, Topspin. Kinda neat that they gave these figures the Wreckers faction symbol from the Botcon comics. Not sure why they decided to include two Fossilizers with new alt modes in these sets. I would have liked to see some more classic Wrecker characters, or considering this is some kind of a multiversal team, maybe Prime Wheeljack from the Kingdom Wheeljack mold and Tigatron using the Covert Agent Ravage mold.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

A few of those would be tempting if they were not Amazon exclusives. Impactor looks amazing. Springer and the Jumpstarter also look good.

The Skeletonizers were probably meant to be general release figures. (And, they are unavoidable if somebody wants to buy all of the legitimate Wreckers.) Leadfoot is a retool of Mirage, making it an easy skip.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Boy, that wreck n' rule set went over like a lead balloon, huh? The hammer was cardboard role play stuff.

I ended up getting all 4 deluxes and 2 voyagers in wave 1, as well as 1 of the core:

- Iguanus - fun little dude, good detailing and paint, great range of motion, motorcycle mode's a little silly but not terrible; A-

- Prime Arcee - doesn't quite convey the character, but a decent figure with great range of motion as well, awkward transformation, bike mode is ok but nothing to write home about, accessories are goofy but not really terrible or anything, alternate storage of front wheel weapon looks cool; C+

- Dragstrip - underwhelming, paint is bland, sculpt is bland, leaves panels on the arms and shoulders, not a terrible bot but way overhyped; vehicle mode is ok but not great, and it could have been great so easily, boring accessories; C

- Kickback - great robot, good accessories, lazy transformation and clumsy, sloppy alt mode; B-

- Skids - charming robot mode, some clumsy stuff but overall personable, transformation is a bit finicky, vehicle mode does exactly what it should; B

- Blasters - I never got the original, so this is my first. It's fine and aims way too low, nothing is a surprise, bot mode is ok and alt mode is ok, transformation has a few annoying sections but is otherwise brainless; Eject shouldn't have been clear, nothing added by that, but is a good figure; B

- Bulkhead - excellent figure, excellent transformation, excellent alt mode, only drawback is chest hollowness and character accuracy; A-
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Legacy Kickback's transformation is what it needs to be. It is based on a basic toy from 40 years ago. There are a few things that I would have done differently (mostly in the arms), but it does not have any significant deficits. My biggest complaint is that the sculpt makes Kickback look too robust.

Blaster is a repack from "Kingdoms", which prioritized for screen accuracy. By that standard, it is as close to perfect as a non-Masterpiece Blaster is going to be. Eject being cast in clear plastic is a problem, and is likely a last minute change.

I skipped the others. Skids looks like something that I would have picked up if I liked the character more (or was simply trying to get all of the 84-85 characters). Dragstrip looks like what the character is supposed to look like. But, there is no way I would consider getting the rest of the team (based on how bad Motormaster looks).
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I really want to be interested in the new Menasor. I really do. But, I just can't. The whole appeal of a combiner is the idea of the parts making the whole. Motormaster can basically become Menasor by himself without the other Stunticons, so then what's the point? I also don't like the lack of a Scramble City interchangeability.

I did get the core figures though.

Hot Rod: MASSIVE improvement over the previous legends one, which is Combiner Wars Blackjack repainted. I actually handed that one to my wife and told her that if she ever wanted to destroy or throw something she could use that. Legacy Hot Rod is pretty great, but I would have preferred that he have his guns rather than the combining weapon thing. Still highly recommended. A

Skywarp: I have Starscream so why would I not get Skywarp? If you have Starscream and you like him, you'll like this. If you didn't like SS, you won't like this. Not much else to say. EXCEPT... He doesn't come with the side guns. He comes with part of the sword combiny thing that Hot Rod and Iguanus come with. I solved this by using Acid Storms from the Combiner Wars version.

Iguanus: Pretty much what JT said.

Amazon Exclusive Mutant Tigatron: My wife loves tigers so I got this for her growing tiger shelf. I like it. Was never crazy about the mutant heads, but it works well enough. If you liked the regular version, you might like this, depending on if you like repaints with retooled heads, otherwise you can probably skip this. B-

As for the new stuff coming out, I'm pretty much going to skip most things. Definitely going to skip Metroplex. I didn't get Omega Supreme or the Ark and this is not on my radar. Looks cool, but not enough for me to warrant spending 200.00. The various deluxes and other figures look fine, I'm definitely in for Terrorsaur if I see one and Tarantulus as well. But since I'm not doing the others in the regular scale, I'll probably skip everything else for now.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:16 pm I really want to be interested in the new Menasor. I really do. But, I just can't. The whole appeal of a combiner is the idea of the parts making the whole. Motormaster can basically become Menasor by himself without the other Stunticons, so then what's the point? I also don't like the lack of a Scramble City interchangeability.
This is the problem with cartoon-accuracy, the cartoon was drawn pretty stupidly so you have the limb-bots bolted to panels rather than acting as limbs, and now we're stuck with that.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:CosmicRust ... ft_bug.jpg
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:KtVS2_Intr ... enasor.jpg

As for the scramble-city, the legs can swap with Combiner Wars-era limb bots, they obviously did try to keep that alive, it just wasn't entirely feasible, and that's a bummer. I will end up getting the Stunticons more to fill out my WFC Decepticon ranks than to build Menasor.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:16 am
Shockwave wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:16 pm I really want to be interested in the new Menasor. I really do. But, I just can't. The whole appeal of a combiner is the idea of the parts making the whole. Motormaster can basically become Menasor by himself without the other Stunticons, so then what's the point? I also don't like the lack of a Scramble City interchangeability.
This is the problem with cartoon-accuracy, the cartoon was drawn pretty stupidly so you have the limb-bots bolted to panels rather than acting as limbs, and now we're stuck with that.
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:CosmicRust ... ft_bug.jpg
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:KtVS2_Intr ... enasor.jpg

As for the scramble-city, the legs can swap with Combiner Wars-era limb bots, they obviously did try to keep that alive, it just wasn't entirely feasible, and that's a bummer. I will end up getting the Stunticons more to fill out my WFC Decepticon ranks than to build Menasor.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Hasbro trying for G1 cartoon accuracy. I never have been, even back during G1 when they tried it with Action Masters. The other thing I always hated about the cartoon combiner models, at least with Menasor in particular, is the leg bots being turned around so the car mode is facing backwards. I NEVER had them combined that way. One could, if they wanted to, but I always liked getting "knee" articulation from having them turned with car facing outwards. It didn't work great, but it was better than the static pose you get with them facing the way the cartoon had it. Same for the Aerialbots.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The real problem is that Hasbro is getting away from cartoon accuracy with "Legacy". Kickback and Dragstrip are recognizable, but are not consistent with the Marvel/Sunbow control art. But, Hasbro gave Dragstrip facade parts (the engine block, and a hollow head for the sake of maintaining screen accuracy. Hasbro could have gotten screen accuracy with a better design, or just ignored it entirely.

To add insult to injury, Hasbro has been sitting on a good Menasor design for almost 15 years.

Don Figueroa came up with a good combination scheme for Menasor during the Costa run of the IDW series. All of Figueroa's designs are meant to work as toys, While the visual of the design would not have worked in "Legacy", the mechanics of that design could have been applied to something that looked more consistent with the current line.

The only reason to get the modern Stunticons is if you are going to keep them in vehicle mode. (Motormaster is horrendous in robot and torso modes.)