Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

Post by JediTricks »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:51 pmI have to agree. The show has earned just about every action sequence we see. I've finished episode 11, so only one more to go. The prison arc was very strong, and so were all the related plots. Everything on this show really works to create a real sense that danger is everywhere. Good to see Saw Garerra turn up and Luthen's escape from the Imperial ship was exactly the type of action sequence you describe: not action for the sake of it, but something that grows out of the situation and tells us more about Luthen as a character, and it doesn't outstay its welcome. Andy Serkis was great, nice to see him in live action. I hate to see the season end after one more episode, it's been far better than I expected it to be.
Well, how did you like the finale?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:12 am
andersonh1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:51 pmI have to agree. The show has earned just about every action sequence we see. I've finished episode 11, so only one more to go. The prison arc was very strong, and so were all the related plots. Everything on this show really works to create a real sense that danger is everywhere. Good to see Saw Garerra turn up and Luthen's escape from the Imperial ship was exactly the type of action sequence you describe: not action for the sake of it, but something that grows out of the situation and tells us more about Luthen as a character, and it doesn't outstay its welcome. Andy Serkis was great, nice to see him in live action. I hate to see the season end after one more episode, it's been far better than I expected it to be.
Well, how did you like the finale?
I thought it was appropriate that they went back to Ferrix. I like the way Andor evaded the trap set for him, though it wasn't entirely him being clever, a lot of that was due to the riot that broke out. I'm curious to see where they go with season two now that Andor is officially working for Luthen. I still don't quite understand what the point of Syril Karn still being a part of the plot is though. Mon Mothma agreeing to marry her daughter off to Davo Sculdin's son shows just how far these people are willing to go to fight the Empire. Good stuff all around. I didn't expect much from this series, but it has turned out to be really enjoyable, and like you, I'd enjoy seeing more than two seasons if they can keep up this level of quality.

And how about that final reveal that the prisoners were working on components of the Death Star's main weapon? Ouch.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Tales of the Jedi - a great little animated series of shorter episodes following Ahsoka and Dooku before, during and in Ahsoka's case, after the Clone Wars. Dave Filoni continues to make nothing but great Star Wars animated episodes. Nice to see a young Dooku, still a Jedi, with a young Qui-Gon as his padawan. We revisit early Clone Wars and get to see Ahsoka after she and Rex escaped at the end of the series. Really, if you enjoyed any of the animated Clone Wars series, you'll enjoy this.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Bad Batch season 2 - this feels like it's given up, there's one great episode and the titular Bad Batch don't show up at all for one second, every other episode is filler and not especially interesting filler.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:45 am Bad Batch season 2 - this feels like it's given up, there's one great episode and the titular Bad Batch don't show up at all for one second, every other episode is filler and not especially interesting filler.
I didn't care much for the treasure-hunting episode, but I've enjoyed the rest. In particular the idea that a lot of the clones are having regrets about following Order 66 (not that they realize they had no choice) and where that could lead in future. I enjoyed Tech analyzing racing and then giving it a try as well. It's interesting to me to see these clones who were designed for war having to adjust to life beyond that war and experiencing different things. Revisiting Dooku's home was also a good idea. The movies had no time to examine the fallout from the war, but a series like this seems like the ideal place to do just that.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Bad Batch continues to be enjoyable, and to advance the post-Clone Wars narrative. There's this nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that I should be watching some big, overarching narrative instead of the smaller, self-contained episodes we've been getting (and we do get the big picture with The Clone Conspiracy/Truth and Consequences), but why? Watching the characters find their way in the early days of the Republic is a perfectly valid storytelling choice. The big picture is there, in the background, and the characters stories intersect with it from time to time. I enjoy that the latest episode picked up a Clone Wars plot thread that I didn't think would ever be revisited, and that the destruction of Kamino continues to have major consequences.

The Mandalorian season 3 - the first episode was a catch-up with old characters episode. Not a lot of new ground covered here, just touching base with various characters to see where they are now, given that it's been a year since Boba Fett and over two years since the last Mandalorian season. I hate that it takes so long between seasons, but I guess this is a case of quality over quantity. Loved seeing the Purgil make an appearance during the hyperspace scene. Watching the animated and live-action shows cross over like this is very satisfying, and rewarding for a long-time viewer like me.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I get really annoyed with the "Disney Star Wars is bad!" line of thought that's out there. I'm not a fan of Disney as a corporation these days, but it hardly seems fair to take out a dislike of Disney on the various different Star Wars shows they've produced. I didn't like the sequel trilogy, but the majority of the tv series have been very enjoyable. The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, the final Clone Wars season, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Bad Batch and Andor are all shows that I've enjoyed to one degree or another, regardless of the fact that Disney produced them.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:15 pm I get really annoyed with the "Disney Star Wars is bad!" line of thought that's out there. I'm not a fan of Disney as a corporation these days, but it hardly seems fair to take out a dislike of Disney on the various different Star Wars shows they've produced. I didn't like the sequel trilogy, but the majority of the tv series have been very enjoyable. The Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett, the final Clone Wars season, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Bad Batch and Andor are all shows that I've enjoyed to one degree or another, regardless of the fact that Disney produced them.
Same here, mostly. I still enjoyed the sequel trilogy, but boy did it have some major issues. My wife and I had a hard time getting through Andor, not that we weren't enjoying it, but we tried watching it three times and fell asleep. At this point I think Star Wars is like Marvel and DC, pick the parts you like and ignore the things you don't or aren't interested in. I no longer feel like I have to have seen everything Star Wars to be up on Star Wars.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I understand the vitriol towards the Disney Star Wars films. The sequel trilogy was a horrible mess. Solo I felt was unnecessary with the story they ended up telling. Rouge One has been the only decent film they've produced. Although even with that, I feel it was a mistake to have the Tantive IV at the battle above Scarif, and the exhausts port on the Death Star being an intentional built-in weakness.

The Disney Star Wars tv series I'd say have been pretty good. I've really enjoyed Mandalorian. Book of Boba was alright, but the best episodes were essentially Mando episodes. Obi-Wan Kenobi, was decent, but much like Rouge One, I felt like there were some things that don't work in terms of continuity. Andor, I've had a hard time getting into. We just started watching it again this week, and we're up to episode 4 I believe. It's starting to pick up. I haven't seen any of the animated series, but I always hear that they're good.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I loved the Bad Batch episode featuring Crosshairs on an icy planet, finally getting it through his head that he's not going to fare well as part of the Empire. On the other hand, the third episode of the Mandalorian was the first episode that was a real miss for me. Why in the world did we spend most of an hour with Dr. Pershing on Coruscant? I could care less about that character, I want to see Din and Bo Katan having adventures, I don't care about the Imperial amnesty program. Feels like a real misfire for a show that normally does no wrong as far as I'm concerned.