Platinum edition Ultra Magnus,anyone buying this?

No noses? No problem! Zombiebots? Sure, why not. A confusing new canon that allows loose and contradictory material? And now a new sequel show with an entirely different art style that takes place way in the future!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Platinum edition Ultra Magnus,anyone buying this?

Post by Tigermegatron »

Platinum edition Ultra Magnus,anyone buying this? It's being labeled as a shared exclusive that BBTS has in stock. http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/prod ... ode=retail

My 2 cents: At first when I saw pics months ago,I was seriously thinking about buying this toy. Then as the months passed by,The toy impressed me less & less.

What I don't like about the toy is all the added retools the designers put on the original 2012 Weaponizers Optimus Prime mold. like the huge shoulder pads,the huge G-1 styled Utra Magnus upper chest plate,the cartoony face sculpt. All these add-on's make the original sculpt look awful,ridiculous & throws off the decent proportions the original sculpt had from last year.

About the only cool thing this mold has,is that huge hammer.

So,No thanks,This toy is a easy pass. to add insult to injury this toy cost $59.99,while the Weaponizers Optimus toy cost $29.99. I've got enough cool Ultra Magnus molds like the 2001 Robots in disguise Super sized Ultra Magnus toy & the 2009 TF Animated Leader sized Ultra Magnus toy,I don't need this awful Platinum edition Ultra Magnus toy.
Last edited by Tigermegatron on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Re: Platinum edition Ultra Magnus,anyone buying this?

Post by Mako Crab »

I gave it some thought, and decided that since there were only 2 new characters introduced in season 3, I'd add them both to my collection to have a complete cast. So when it came to Magnus, I decided that I'm going to get the PRID Voyager class Magnus that was out a while back. I really like his robot mode in that version, and I was happy that he wasn't a simple retool of an Optimus mold. Alt mode is a flat-nosed tow truck even, furthering their differences. So yep. I think that's the way to go. He might not be the most show accurate, but when you really start looking at all the different Magnus toys, none of them are an exact match anyway.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Mako Crab wrote:I gave it some thought, and decided that since there were only 2 new characters introduced in season 3, I'd add them both to my collection to have a complete cast. So when it came to Magnus, I decided that I'm going to get the PRID Voyager class Magnus that was out a while back. I really like his robot mode in that version, and I was happy that he wasn't a simple retool of an Optimus mold. Alt mode is a flat-nosed tow truck even, furthering their differences. So yep. I think that's the way to go. He might not be the most show accurate, but when you really start looking at all the different Magnus toys, none of them are an exact match anyway.
I agree with this,I too am sick & tired of Optimus Prime toys getting repainted into Ultra Magnus.

In the case of the Weaponizers Optimus Prime toy,I felt this had the superior colors & adult fan themed sculpt. I don't like the Platinum Ultra Magnus because the added retooled parts throw off the original molds proportions--->Especially the UM huge shoulders.

The TFP Voyager sized Optimus mold I felt was a mediocre inferior toy compared to the First Edition Voyager Optimus toy. Hionestly no amount of newer colors nor remolded parts can fix the inferior base mold.

I too,Think the 2012 new mold TFP Voyager given to Ultra Magnus was a great mold in both modes.

The thing is,I don't need nor do I want to buy every single new mold Hasbro makes of a TF character. Some characters Hasbro gets overly obsessed with & literally pumps out 10+ new molds of the same character in different sizes spread across different TF toy lines. I just don't have the space nor money to have over 50 optimus toys,over 70 bumblebee toys,over 30 megatron toys,over 25 ratchet toys,over 20 soundwave toys,over 60 Starscream & his seekers repaints toys,etc... I'll only buy a mold if I think it's a good mold according to my preferences,I could care less about it matching the media design. I don't need any awful TF toys.

In the case of Ultra Magnus,I'm satisfied with owning the 2001 Super Sized toy,the 2008 Animated leader sized toy & the 2012 TFP voyager sized Ultra Magnus toy.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

Totally. I've been giving thought to buying the Beast Hunters version of Optimus just cuz that's how he looked in the show. But honestly, I don't really like it that much and I'm more than satisfied with my FE Optimus representing the character. Same thing with the repaints of BB and Smokey. Fine. Nice for the show. Whatever. I already have them and don't feel like adding duplicates to my collection.

I will say, that I'm interested in trying my hand at 3D sculpting. I would much rather create my own TFP Unicron than settle for that piece of crap toy that Takara pumped out. This is coming from a guy that's never sculpted anything in his life too. But I'd learn how just for that!
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Mako Crab wrote: I will say, that I'm interested in trying my hand at 3D sculpting. I would much rather create my own TFP Unicron than settle for that piece of crap toy that Takara pumped out. This is coming from a guy that's never sculpted anything in his life too. But I'd learn how just for that!
From a few miles away,It's a interesting design in robot mode minus the hands & serious misproportions in bot mode. The mountain/volcano mode & coat/armor modes are epic horrible. I'd be a buyer at the Hasbro USA price of $19.97,Anything higher,the mold is just not worth it.

I'd love to see Todd McFarlane get hired by Hasbro as a freelancer just to do a nightmarish version of Unicron in the live action movie verse. that is basically a supreme sized robot mode that transforms into a planet mode.

If any cancelled Takara TF proto type needs to get resurrected & get made into a toy it's that BW NEO Unicron toy. Yes,I Know the Proto type was rumored to be leader sized,but Takara can always upsize the dimensions & turn it into a Supreme sized toy. http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... es-173316/
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

My buddy Rob is a big UM fan. When he first saw this, he was very excited, but TRU wants $60 and for a figure that's otherwise half that, it was a difficult choice. Ultimately, he found the Weaponizers Optimus at liquidators for $15 and bought both himself and me one, liked the figure enough that he went in on the Platinum UM as well for full price but as a boxed experience, and I think I agree with that choice for him. I wouldn't buy one at $50 or $60 because I'm not a huge UM fan but also because that mold is fun but difficult to justify as a higher pricetag figure on its own.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

JediTricks wrote:My buddy Rob is a big UM fan. When he first saw this, he was very excited, but TRU wants $60 and for a figure that's otherwise half that, it was a difficult choice. Ultimately, he found the Weaponizers Optimus at liquidators for $15 and bought both himself and me one, liked the figure enough that he went in on the Platinum UM as well for full price but as a boxed experience, and I think I agree with that choice for him. I wouldn't buy one at $50 or $60 because I'm not a huge UM fan but also because that mold is fun but difficult to justify as a higher pricetag figure on its own.
I blame the TRU USA Store/site prices for their TF store exclusives. Had USA retail stores like Walmart or Target sold this as a store exclusive it wouldn't have been double the original price. It would have had a slight mark up like maybe $41.

I just went to the TRU site,Their charging $10 more ($39.99) for the Army green colored version of BH Weaponiers Optimus Prime.

Paying double for Platinum Ultra Magnus is something i'm not willing to do. Especially since it's not even a decent Ultra Magnus homage,As it has no trailer that forms armor for the super robot mode.

I'm a "Medium" Ultra Magnus toy/character fan. I don't need to own every single recolor,retool or new mold that Hasbro/Takara pumps out. The only Ultra Magnus toys I felt worthy of buying were the 2001 RID Super sized toy,the Animated leader sized toy,The 2012 TFP voyager Ultra Magnus & I'll probably buy the MP-22 Ultra magnus toy.