life is hectic at the moment

Comments, suggestions, problems, other board business, bring it here and drop us some knowledge
Dominic
Supreme-Class

life is hectic at the moment

Post by Dominic »

Sorry. I have not been around much. And, for the next few weeks at least, that is likely to continue.

Between prepping for the A+ Certification, looking for a new job, trying to help with the Bell Time Club, and various other errands that I want to get done before I find work (even if it is only temporary), I have not had much time for internet fun.

I actually left my old job last week. Summers are typically slow, with fewer if any hours. And, there are likely going to be administrative shake-ups between now and fall. I was in a good place with all of my supervisors and superiors. So, it seems like the best time to leave a job that I was not planning to keep through this year anyway.

Dom
-actually planned for this to happen last year.....
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Re: life is hectic at the moment

Post by Gomess »

Oh, the luxury of being able to quit a job whenever you want without being consumed by fear. =p

Well, good luck finding something new, a few of us are experiencing that.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Good luck finding a new one. Unemployment rates are still pretty high, but not as bad as they were at least.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Gomess, I do not think you fully grasp what the situation at my old job was.

Summers are traditionally slow. I typically get sent home for a week or so at the beginning. Best case scenario, I work shorter hours (and get proportionally less money.) I am all but guaranteed a week or two of no work at all in July or so. This is followed by a few weeks where I might get "typical" (but still part-time) hours until late August....where I can expect at least a week of no work followed by a short week or two in September.

Mind you, even without that, this is a job that I could not really afford to stay at to begin with, which is why I went back to school (and have since finished) in the first place.

Add to this the fact that there is going to be a significant shake-up by the end of the year. (And, one of my former co-workers sees that sort of thing as an opportunity to put herself over by cutting others in the back. It never works for her in the long term. But, it makes things miserable for people. She started a fire a few years ago that is arguably still poisoning the atmosphere at the place even now.)

I leave now, I leave on a high note. Most of the people there, including those I might need a reference from, have positive memories of me.

I did not take this lightly. And, I am a bit worried. (Studying for the A+ takes priority now because it will help me get a job in the long run.) But, leaving is necessary, albeit difficult. And, this was the right time.

Dom
-will likely be getting temp bookings in the next week or so.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

It's been a long time since I really talked to you guys. What is it you do again, Dom? I want to say something in the IT field but I'm not entirely sure.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Best of fortunes, Dom.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I certainly hope you find something better and am glad you were able to leave on a high note. Good luck.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I was working in adult ed (tutoring and proctoring, with a bit of advising), but am planning a move in to IT.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have a strong lead on a temp job. I should know by the end of the week.

Details I have so far:
-telecom company.
-more relevant to my ideal field.
-lower hourly pay (though more realistic than my previous job's higher than reasonable rate)
-more hours per week (resulting in more take home)
-possibility of permanence
-long commute

Needless to say, if this pans out, I will be much busier, especially as I still have to prepate for and book the second half of the A+ Certification test.

Dom
-also helping an author friend to network.