Spotlight: Bumblebee

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Spotlight: Bumblebee

Post by Dominic »

This issue is listed as being set during the end of Costa's run, specifically during "Police Action", after Prime and most of the other Autobots have left Earth.

Barber spends the issue showing how Bumblebee went from being a reluctant, and anemic, leader to the more robust, if not entirely credible, leader shown in "Robots in Disguise". BB is not a leader by nature, and tries to work within his limits. But, the situation constantly forces him to expand past his limits. Thundercracker is established to have stayed on Earth. And, in case anybody has been missing the hype, Barber (and maybe Roberts) is planning something big with the MetroTitans. That art is a bit looser than I would prefer. But, the comic is not bad over all.

Grade: B/C

Dom
-almost got the Ramondelli cover.
andersonh1

Re: Spotlight: Bumblebee

Post by andersonh1 »

Picked this up but haven't read it yet. I have a hard time even now being all that interested in Bumblebee as a character, even if his turn as a weak leader has been an interesting concept overall. The main thing I noticed, which annoyed me, is that we're getting Spotlight Trailcutter next. So I guess even though he's been Trailbreaker for all this time, IDW's has to conform to the current Generations toy name and he'll have some in-story reason to call himself something new. Ugh.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote:Picked this up but haven't read it yet. I have a hard time even now being all that interested in Bumblebee as a character, even if his turn as a weak leader has been an interesting concept overall. The main thing I noticed, which annoyed me, is that we're getting Spotlight Trailcutter next. So I guess even though he's been Trailbreaker for all this time, IDW's has to conform to the current Generations toy name and he'll have some in-story reason to call himself something new. Ugh.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

andersonh1 wrote:The main thing I noticed, which annoyed me, is that we're getting Spotlight Trailcutter next. So I guess even though he's been Trailbreaker for all this time, IDW's has to conform to the current Generations toy name and he'll have some in-story reason to call himself something new. Ugh.
Yes, exactly.

Hey, I'd rather have someone change their name for a credible in-story reason than to just...randomly change their name, back and forth, forever, like some characters. *coughBlueSilverstreakcough*
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

It always seems so strange to me when people cast Bumblebee as an authority figure. What, 'cos he's the gutsy little audience projection character? Isn't that what Hot Rod's for..?

I just don't think Bumblebee should ever be 'cool'. That's what makes him cool. He's just a resourceful little spy who likes a swim now and then.

Now *Goldbug*, sure...
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Originally, the Autobots put it to a vote...and Bumblebee won. Seriously. That was, in real world time, about four years ago, give or take. Prime has come in and come back out of leadership here and there since then, but the rest of the time it's been Bumblebee. (I think it might be roughly four years of comic time as well; IDW is generally pretty good about keeping things on track through various "Now it's a year later!" jumps.)

As for why 'IDW' would choose him? I dunno, it's an interesting dynamic? You can't really put Hot Rod in his position because he's too busy being a fuckup in space. (I think he was busy being a fuckup on Earth when Bumblebee was elected.) In fact, Hot Rod is currently the big-time leader of the whole MTMTE crew. (And he's not doing a very good job of it. I'd say Bumblebee was doing better, but he didn't notice that his second in command was a Decepticon mindslave for the last ten issues, so, uh.)

Goldbug is a different guy in IDW. He's just a dude, there's nothing special about him. In fact, I'd wager the only reason Goldbug is a separate guy is just so IDW could put their foot down and say, "Yeah, no, we're not turning him into Goldbug, ever."

(Every time I go to type "Goldbug," I type "Goldburg." You'll appreciate that, G.)
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

If I was in charge of IDW, Goldbug would only ever appear while some other TFs are having a conversation, run in, tackle them all, roar at the audience and then leave without a word.

Vote for ME.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Yes, exactly.

Hey, I'd rather have someone change their name for a credible in-story reason than to just...randomly change their name, back and forth, forever, like some characters. *coughBlueSilverstreakcough*
It is really not fair to complain or criticize IDW for dealing with real life concerns. Certain names have been changed for copyright reasons. It is what it is.

(The fact that Bluestreak and Silverstreak are now arguably different characters is another matter entirely though. That was just sloppiness.)

I just don't think Bumblebee should ever be 'cool'. That's what makes him cool. He's just a resourceful little spy who likes a swim now and then.

That has kind of been the point of IDW's handling of Bumblebee.

BB is not really a very good leader. He is a better leader than Hot Rod, (who needs to be shot and disposed of). But, BB is really not fit to be anything more than a custodial leader, if even that much.

During Costa's run, BB was voted in because he was a nice guy and he was in the room. (He was consistently undercut by others, without them even attempting to undercut him.) The "Spotlight" issue being discussed here shows him winning a small victory using his technical skills. On Cybertron, (during Barber's current run on RiD) BB's lack of skill as a statesman is costing him the moral support that he earned by being a nice guy, especially since most of Cybertron's population is not inherently favourable towards him.

In contrast, Starscream actually does have the inherent ability to lead, but he has no moral capital or support.

And, my god, if IDW is not using Metalhawk well. (Contrary to what most people are saying, Metalhawk is not supposed to be an asshole. He is just a guy who is trying to look out for himself and the people.)

Dom
-and, seriously, Hot Rod as leader is every bit the disaster you would expect form putting that kind of guy in charge of anything.....
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:And, my god, if IDW is not using Metalhawk well. (Contrary to what most people are saying, Metalhawk is not supposed to be an asshole. He is just a guy who is trying to look out for himself and the people.)
We've been over this, Metalhawk is a prick who has no idea how 'looking out for his people' works. He's gotten better since those first few issues, I admit, but I still say that he could have 'looked out for his people' better by actually going out, mingling with them, showing them support in the various situations that popped up, rather than just following Bumblebee around for 2-3 issues going "You suck you suck you suck you suck you suck you suck no I'm not going to stop following you because you suck you suck you suck..." Not to mention that whole 'undermining the peace and working together angle by jumping as soon as new guys arrive on Cybertron and telling them how much everyone who isn't him sucks', or worse, that thing where when Sky-Byte came in he was all "We have to give everyone an equal chance at a new life on Cybertron, regardless of their background! Even former Decepticons deserve our forgiveness and the benefit of the doubt!" and then Turmoil showed up and he was all "Except for that guy! Fuck him!"

Seriously, Metalhawk is a petty douche, and might actually know less about 'leadership' than Bumblebee.

As for the whole Trailcutter thing, it's worth noting that this new run of Spotlights has the discitinction of being specifically produced in anticipation of Hasbro's new wave of 30th Anniversary Generations Deluxes due out at the end of this year, and will actually be packaged with those toys. So consistency is important in that, it'd be weird for kids to pick up a toy of 'Trailcutter' and get a comic book about 'Trailbreaker' packaged with it. And the way fans have been screaming about a new Trailbreaker toy for the last few years, it makes sense for him to be among Hasbro's new offerings. I don't see how the 'new' name is offensive, at any rate, it's the character itself you're attached to, right, not the specific permutation of his copyrightable name. So what's the big deal?
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

BWprowl wrote:Seriously, Metalhawk is a petty douche, and might actually know less about 'leadership' than Bumblebee.
To say nothing of how he conducts himself around underage girls! Hawk-san!