Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Trek

Post by Sparky Prime »

NYCC Picard season 3 trailer.

Some interesting developments... and one thing I really hate.
Spoiler
Worf claims he is a pacifist now.... Which makes no sense. Worf always showed a great deal of restraint compared to other Klingons, given his human upbringing, but he still had the heart of a Klingon warrior. Also, if he's a pacifist, why does he have a sword on his back?
Other things of note:
The Enterprise F from Star Trek Online is now canon.
Riker stole a line from Rattrap: "We're all gonna die".
Lore is back, appearing here in a Starfleet uniform for some reason.
Professor Moriarty is back as well. I guess he was freed from the memory module. Wonder if they'll address if mobile emitter hologram technology has become common place following Voyager's return.
Unfortunately, I have no confidence in these writers at this point, so while this looks good, I'm expecting they'll find a way to screw it up like the first two seasons.

Star Trek Discovery season 5 first look

Not a very good teaser if you ask me... I didn't really get anything out of it to know what this season will even be about. I know it's just a first look teaser, but they could have given us something besides some fairly generic action shots.

Prodigy midseason return trailer
Forgot that we haven't even finished the first season yet. The show has been on hiatus for a long time... I'm liking what I'm seeing here.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Prodigy returns!

Episode 11
Spoiler
The kids are doing good deeds (such as saving an alien whale from poachers while maintaining the Prime Directive) while on their way to the nearest Federation subspace communications relay (wish they'd given us a better idea of where this station is located, since they didn't actually tell us. I assume it's on the edge of Federation space, ). There, they meet a Denobulan who runs the station alone (for some reason, he's got the standard Starfleet rank pips, as well the rank insignia the Maquis crew members on Voyager wore). The kids express their desire to join Starfleet, and he scans them into the computer. Oddly, after scanning Dal, the computer brings up a message to inform Starfleet Command but offers no further explanation. Dal is excited to know the Federation knows something about his species.

While the kids make themselves at home on the station, the Protostar logs are downloaded... Which includes the virus that the Diviner put on the ship. Instantly, the station goes to red alert and its phasers begin to blast itself to bits. The kids attempt to make it back to the Protostar, but it separates from the docking port and begins to orbit around the station. Hologram Janeway reports the transporters have been damaged as well and are offline, so she suggests the kids find the escape pods. The Denobulan blocks the kid, blaming them for the chaos, accusing them of sabotage, and takes the only escape pod himself. The kids take some space suit and jump to the Protostar. They miss the shuttle bay, but Janeway saves them with a tractor beam. Gwyndala remembers her father telling her about the weapon, and tells the others she remembers everything (really thought they'd draw out her memory lapse, after she saw a reflection of Zero's true form in the previous episode, for much longer than this).

Meanwhile, the Dauntless arrives at Tars Lamora as they continue to track down the Protostar. There, Admiral Janeway and crew encounter the Diviner, apparently being kept alive by his suit which has put him into stasis (pretty sure floating unprotected in a vacuum, he'd still die, regardless of his suit putting him into stasis).
Overall good episode, but I felt they undercut some of the drama from the previous episode. It was good to hear Robert Beltran returning as Chakotay, albeit a holographic recreation.

Lower Decks - season 3 episode 10 - season finale

This turned out to be a pretty interesting episode...
Spoiler
Following the reveal of the new, fully automated, Texas-class starship in the previous episode, Captain Freeman argues against the use of an automated Starship. It goes against Starfleet's sense of exploration and cannot do everything that a manned starship can do. The Admirals disagree after Freeman's "Project Swing By" didn't turn out so well. Freeman suggests a contest between the California-class and the Texas-class starships. The first to successfully complete three standard 'second contact' missions wins.

The Cerritos starts off well, but is slowed down when they have test the sand at the second planet for signs of life, causing them to miss the third planet when it phases out of their dimension, thus causing them to fail the final. Freeman argues that the Texas-Class failed to check the second planet for signs of life, but it isn't until Rutherford realizes the Texas-class uses the AI programming he used for Badgey (and subsequently also why his memories were erased) that the Admiral in charge of the Texas-class reveals it's all part of his evil plot (because every Starfleet Admiral inevitably becomes evil?). He switches the Texas-Class ship to fully sentient and orders it to destroy the Cerritos, but it kills him and attacks the starbase instead, and activates two more of them.

The Cerritos and a Sovereign-class ship attempts to stop the three Texas-class starships, but the Sovereign is disabled. The Cerritos draws them away from the starbase by telling them Rutherford can shut them down, and uses their warp core as bomb, destroying two of them. The third severely damages the Cerritos, but is saved when all the California-class ships arrive and destroy the remaining Texas-class ship.
Very reminiscent of TOS episode "The Ultimate Computer". There's even a computer terminal modeled after the M-5 unit, although this appears to just be an Easter egg given how they explain the technology. Apparently autonomous starship technology hasn't really improved in the last 100 years.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I seriously need to get caught up on Prodigy. I like what I've watched so far, but haven't had a lot of time to watch anything lately, so I'm well behind on the series. I saw where Chakotay is in the show along with Janeway, and given how much I enjoy Voyager, that alone makes it worth watching for me.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Seven episodes into Prodigy, and I'm really enjoying the show. The mystery of what happened to Chakotay and his crew is always in the background, and the various characters are all more likeable and interesting as time goes on. It feels like a show that adheres more to the ideal of Star Trek than some of the other shows like Discovery or Picard have done.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Prodigy episode 12
Spoiler
The kids are reviewing the conversation Gwyndala had with her father on the holodeck back in episode 10 about the Protostar having a weapon onboard that'll destroy the Federation. They search the ship for the weapon, eventually discovering a hidden room under the bridge. Strangely, it unlocks with Gwyn's shapeshifting weapon forming into a key, there is no apparent Starfleet key pad for it or anything... It makes me wonder if this chamber is an original part of the Protostar or if the Diviner added it. At any rate, inside they find the weapon (not sure why it has hardware, the weapon we've seen is really a computer virus), but quickly find the technology is well beyond them, as it even avoids phaser fire. They aren't able to dwell on it however, as the computer gives them a proximity warning...

The Protostar has come across a Borg cube! Holo Janeway scans the ship, finding the drones have been put to sleep by a neurolytic pathogen, and warns the kids they should get out of there, but they think the Borg technology might give them a way to disable the Diviner's weapon. Entering the cube, they make their way to the vinculum but cannot access it. Zero interfaces with it via a Borg alcove, which ends up activating the drones. The Collective plan on taking the weapon for themselves and capture everyone. The kids are taken to an assimilation chamber (not sure why the Borg didn't immediately inject any of them with nano-probes). Then the assimilated Zero shows up, they're able to snap Zero out of it which also temporarily knocks out all the drones again, allowing them to escape. Zero reveals the Borg didn't have a way to deactivate or remove the weapon, so for the time being. They're stuck with it and cannot go to the Federation.

Meanwhile, the Dauntless arrives at the Starfleet subspace communication relay station the Protostar visited in the previous episode (where is this relay located?!). There's no mention of the escape pod the Denobulan took, which should still be in the area. In their sickbay, the Diviner regains consciousness...
Spoiler
Really interesting to see a Borg cube in this episode... I wish they'd given us a little more though. Holo Janeway mentions the Borg being asleep as the result of a neurolytic pathogen... Is this a reference to future Admiral Janeway's actions in the finale of Voyager? We know she infected the Queen with a neurolytic pathogen, resulting in the destruction of the Queen's complex, but it's never been clear what effect that had on the Collective. Picard season 2 also mentioned the Collective as they knew it had been hobbled, but they didn't explain why, or how they even knew that.

Little too convenient the Protostar comes across an inactive Borg cube just as they find the Diviner's weapon that they need help analyzing. Also seems odd that the Borg can't figure out a way to deactivate or even move the thing. Zero being 'assimilated' seems a little too easy as well. As a non-corporeal entity, the Borg Collective seems to simply trap Zero's mind, and all it takes is some encouragement to break free of it? Zero pulls off a piece of Borg technology from the exo-suit, after breaking free, so it's unclear what its purpose was. Also wish it wasn't so easy for the Borg to be put back to sleep by Zero breaking free. Not sure how that worked.

It was cool seeing the Borg in animated form. We got to see some assimilated aliens that we've never seen before. I noticed none of the drones seemed to have a Borg tool arm though, they all had two hands. The design of the cube itself appeared to be based on the Cube in season 1 of Picard, with more of a 'Tron'-like design aesthetic. It's fine, but I miss the plasma-lightning panel thing at the top of the alcoves.
Overall, good episode, albeit a few too many conveniences, and a bit rushed. They didn't make the Borg feel like the threat they should be.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Prodigy episode 13
Spoiler
Admiral Janeway asks The Diviner what he knows about Chakotay and the Protostar, but his mind is fragmented after seeing Zero's true form. With what they get from him, Janeway believes Chakotay has been captured and the Protostar stolen. Meanwhile, despite being unable to go to the Federation, the kids decide to continue to do good deeds and respond to a distress call. They quickly discover the inhabitants have modeled their society after Kirk's crew of the Enterprise, although everything they know is a little off... calling themselves Enderprizians (some of them even having impressions of Shatner and Doohan) and believe the kids are members of "Star Flight" prophesized to come back to help them. Eventually it's revealed Ensign Garrovick (who presumably told inhabitants all they know about Starfleet and the Enterprise) crash landed on this world over a hundred years ago in the Galileo shuttlecraft, which has been leaking warp plasma in a cave full of dilithium crystals, which has been poisoning anyone who gets near it. Now knowing the source of the illness, Zero is able to develop an antidote, and the kids help close up the entrance to the cave. Back on the Protostar, Rok-Tahk discovers that Murf has formed a cocoon.
This was a fun episode, with a ton of TOS references. I kinda wish they'd explained a few things though. For starters, it's not clear where this planet is. I'd have to imagine it's near Federation space, but the episode is not clear on the circumstances for why the shuttle ended up crashing on this planet. So is the Protostar in the Alpha or Beta Quadrant? And why was the shuttle and the Ensign apparently never located/recovered? I mean, these are minor questions in the grand scheme of the episode, but I just find it a little hard to believe Kirk wouldn't have located the shuttle....
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Prodigy episode 14
Spoiler
The kids land the Protostar on a Xindi trading outpost, hoping to get transport to the Federation and come back for the Protostar once they've figured out how to remove the weapon. Admiral Janeway has also come to this planet, since Barniss Frex (the Denobulan from the communication relay station) has also ended up here. A few of the kids run into Janeway's crew but fail to set the record straight. After talking to Frex, the kids run for it, picking up The Outrageous Thadiun Okona along the way. Back on the Protostar, the kids attempt to escape using the Protodrive, but the Dauntless disables them. Okona suggests masking their warp signature to hide in the Neutral Zone. Admiral Janeway decides to risk going after the Protostar rather than risk the ship falling into Romulan hands, but her first officer (which Janeway refers to as Number One, which seems odd since she never did that with her first officers) refuses the order, and three Romulan Warbirds decloak warning the Dauntless entering the Neutral Zone would be an act of war...
Good to see some Reptilian Xindi appear for the first time since Enterprise in this episode. Seems odd they're on an ice world though. Wouldn't think reptilians would like that. Also good to see Thadiun Okona again, appearing as we last saw him in season 2 of Lower Decks. Little disappointed he didn't do more in this episode, but then, he's obviously not done in this series yet. Found it a little odd Admiral Janeway refers to her first officer as Number One, when she's never done that with her first officers before. Also... They make it a point to explain what the Neutral Zone is in this episode, being a buffer between the Federation and Romulan Empire that neither side can enter... But then they have three Romulan Warbirds in the Neutral Zone at the Federation boarder? Shouldn't Janeway be pointing out they are in violation? At any rate, it's good to finally get some idea where in the galaxy they're at.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

They bring back the Outrageous Okona? That's an interesting choice.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Prodigy episode 15
Spoiler
The crew grows to like Okona, causing Dal to become jealous of him. In need of repair and spare parts, Okana suggests the planet Noble Isle, which is where he was supposed to go to deliver his now confiscated cargo anyway. Okana introduces them to Dr. Jago, a genetic scientist. She's angry that Okona lost her shipment, but is pleased to see he brought her an interesting specimen... Dal. Turns out Dal is the product of "artificial hybrid speciation". She presumes human DNA was used as a basis, but was augmented with DNA from 25 other species, but claims the work was sloppy. She offers to make him better by activating his dormant genes, which he initially declines, but after the others leave, Dal accepts her offer.

Meanwhile, the Dauntless is still stuck at the border of the Neutral Zone facing off with two Romulan Warbirds. Janeway requests permission to enter the Neutral Zone from Admiral Jellico (Ronny Cox reprising the role), but he denies her request given how close they are to a peace agreement with the Romulans, and orders her to destroy the Protostar if the Romulans attempt to steal it. Ensign Asencia request permission to sneak into the Neutral Zone, which Janeway denies, but this makes them realize the Romulans must be planning to do the same thing...

Sure enough, the kids are attacked by a group of Tal Shiar agents (with uniforms and weapons like seen in season 1 of Picard). Okona ditches the kids, so using his new genetic implant, Dal activates more of his dormant genes and easily takes out the Romulans, but shortly begins to mutate uncontrollably. Making a run for it, they end up battling the Romulans on a orbital elevator. Admiral Janeway fires on the Protostar, but aborts the photons when they detect that the kids have defeated the Romulans, thanks to Murf's new fighting skills with his new humanoid form. The kids begin repairs to the Protostar's engines, and remove Dal's genetic implant, restoring him back to normal.

Meanwhile, back on the Dauntless, Ensign Asencia reveals to the Diviner that he wasn't the only Vau N'Akat sent back in time to capture the Protostar. She is using a genetic implant to disguise herself as a Trill and has a Drednok robot as well, disguised as a table.
Nice to finally get some explanation for Dal's origins, and why the comm relay station computer simply said to report him to Starfleet command when it scanned his DNA.
Spoiler
Dr. Jago says Dal's the product of techniques based on the research of Dr. Arik Soong and his protegees... but I don't see how she could possibly know that. After all, Arik Soong would have died about 200 years ago. His work would be antiquated by the 24th century and I have to doubt would be well known among alien cultures, considering his work was outlawed on Earth as it is. Not to mention, Soong's work was all about augmenting the human genome, not splicing it with other species. Wouldn't there be any contemporary geneticists Dr. Jago would be familiar with?

At any rate, this opens up some new questions about Dal's origins... Who created him and why? And we still don't know why he ended up at Tars Lamora. Dal seems to assume he's a failed experiment, but I doubt that's the case.
I liked that Okona references TNG episode he was in. He tells the kids about it. He's in this episode more than the previous episode, but I still wish he'd done more. He helps facilitate the plot, suggesting the kids go to Noble Isle to make repairs and introducing them to Dr. Jago... But it doesn't capture the same loveable scoundrel motif that the character had in TNG since he, nor the kids, run into any trouble because of his actions.
Spoiler
Not sure how the Dauntless is able to tell exactly what's going on on Noble Isle. I'm guessing the planet is fairly close to the Federation side of the Neutral Zone if the Protostar could get there without warp drive.... but I don't think long range sensors would be able to make out this level of detail from that range. Not to mention, the planet has constant ion storms that prevents beaming and communication. And he Dauntless is also able to fire at the Protostar from that far as well? I mean, I don't know what range a photon torpedo has exactly, but Star Trek generally shows weapons range to be relatively close (edit, looked it up and TNG established a range of about 300,000 kilometers, for reference the distance between Earth and the moon is on average around 384,400 km. So yeah, those torpedoes shouldn't have made it to the planet).

The revelation that Ensign Asencia wasn't a Trill but another Vau N'Akat was surprising. I wondered why they seemed to be paying special attention to this Ensign out of the rest of Admiral Janeway's crew. She's had more screen time than the rest of her crew, but I wasn't expecting this.
Overall, despite a few plot conveniences, this was a really good episode. Cool cameo, and some surprising revelations.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Prodigy episode 16

Surprisingly, this is largely a backstory info dump episode.
Spoiler
As the kids pass the time while repairing the Protostar, Rok-Tahk explains she was a "monster" in a fake gladiator show. Eventually she grew tired of always loosing, and fought back. As a result, she was sold to Kazon slave traders. Not sure how/why Kazon were in the Alpha Quadrant... Zero explains how they were part of a Medusan exploration crew. The crew escaped but Zero was left behind when they were attacked by Kazon slave traders. Jankom Pog explains he was on a pre-Federation Tellarite sleeper ship. He was awakened when the ship needed repairs (and the reason he says his name so often is the result of a drone that kept asking him to state his full name before addressing anything he said), but as a result the ship didn't have enough oxygen for a crew of 30, so Jankom takes an escape pod to save the rest of the crew... Because apparently there is enough oxygen for 29 crew members. Jankom is then captured by Kazon slave traders... Finally, the kids get the protostar drive repaired.

Meanwhile on the Dauntless, Admiral Janeway's first office informs Janeway of a bounty on the kids, and begins to realize these kids aren't criminals. They think they should look into the person that placed this bounty... The Diviner. Elsewhere, Ensign Asencia explains to the Diviner that her name is The Vindicator, and explains how first contact with the Federation caused a civil war among their people. After the destruction of their world, a wormhole opened and the Protostar emerged. They captured Chakotay and his crew and prepared to use the ship to go back in time to destroy the Federation... But Chakotay remotely sent the ship back through the wormhole unmanned. The Diviner organized the last of the Vau N’Akat into a group known as The Order, and each piloted the last of their fleet ship through the wormhole... But as the wormhole collapsed, they each ended up in a different time and space. The Vindicator arrived in the Alpha Quadrant 3 years ago, while The Diviner arrived in the Delta Quadrant 20 years ago. Admiral Janeway enters, hoping the Diviner has remembered something, but sees Asencia/Vindicator in her true form, and the Diviner knocks her out now that he has his memories back... Wasn't seeing Zero's true form supposed to drive him permanently insane? Gwyndala was the one who temporarily lost her memories because she saw a reflection of Zero.
This was a good episode, but I really think they should have had it earlier in the series. 16 episodes in and we're just now getting back story for the majority of the cast? Also... the Kazon seem to be all over the galaxy now? Not sure how when their technology is not that advanced.