Dawn of the Dreadforce (TF knock-off comic)

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Misanthrope Prime
Dinobot

Re: Dawn of the Dreadforce (TF knock-off comic)

Post by Misanthrope Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote: I was more talking about the original Sentai, rather, since that's arguably aimed at an even younger audience than MMPR is. AU knows more than I do.
Did someone say my name?

*puts on reading glasses and brings out his "big book o' sentai"*

There's one big difference between American and Japanese tokusatsu right now- we only have on Toku series, Japan has two (Sentai AND Kamen Rider, though KR is coming to the states in a few months, we'll see if it makes a dent or not). Sentai is aimed at a younger crowd, let's say 3-8 years old, arguably the same age as power rangers. And whereas kids in the US simply "move on" from PR, in Japan, you move on to Kamen Rider, a more adult, slightly darker series aimed at 8-13 year olds. As such, the toys, both handled by bandai, are designed with an age range in mind. PR/Sentai toys are designed for little kids, yes, with the knowledge that older kids will be buying another toyline. Furthermore, in Japan, it's common to sell individual combiner pieces for like, 500 yen a pop, whereas the combined pieces are usually packaged as entire megazords here in the states. Since most Japanese series end up getting redonkulous amounts of combiner pieces that all have to fit onto one robot (Go-Onger, 2008's series, used a total of TWELVE different combiners in ONE robot) and it has to stay together. That means big study pieces of plastic, not articulated bits.
Last edited by Misanthrope Prime on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Misanthrope Prime wrote:Since most Japanese series end up getting rediculous amounts of combiner pieces that all have to fit onto one robot
Don't be ridiculous.

Really, AU, you're a writer, you should know better than this. I let Dom slide on his occasional misspellings because he's Dom. You just have no excuse.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

As a matter of fairness, I am also a writer.

Editing is a different thing from writing though. (My eyes and hands also conspire to hinder me on this front. Though I have noticed my thought process has deteriorated in recent years.)

Dom
-really likes AU's new AV image.
Misanthrope Prime
Dinobot

Post by Misanthrope Prime »

Psh, I wrote it late at night, happy now?
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Misanthrope Prime wrote:hippy now?
Yes.

Also, the hell have you been? All the fun discussion on the moralities of genocide you've missed!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

onslaught86 wrote:Also, the hell have you been? All the fun discussion on the moralities of genocide you've missed!
He's on AIM, constantly, and keeps blathering on about this and that, which is odd.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.