40th Anniversary Transformers event

The originals... ok, not exactly, but the original named "The TransFormers" anyway. Take THAT, Diaclone!
Generation 1, Generation 2 - Removable fists? Check. Unlicensed vehicle modes? Check. Kickass tape deck robot with transforming cassette minions? DOUBLE CHECK!!!
andersonh1

40th Anniversary Transformers event

Post by andersonh1 »

I went to see this at the local movie theater today, and really enjoyed it. It was basically the first four episodes of the original Transformers series on the big screen (I was 13 when they first aired!!), except that for the first episode they brought back the surviving voice actors and had them act out their parts, so it was essentially a new voice recording session with the old actors. There was a split screen with the episode taking up 2/3 of the screen on the left, and the actor reading his line on the right. We had Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Dan Gilvezan, Michael Bell, a few others, and a modern voice actor playing Chris Latta's roles who did the best imitation of Latta's Starscream that I've heard. Gregg Berger (Grimlock) was the narrator, Sparkplug and a few other voices. There was an "in memoriam" at the very end for various actors who have passed away. I enjoyed it, and given that they gave us a few outtakes from the recording session, it seems like the actors enjoyed it as well. Not a bad way to spend a few hours on a Sunday afternoon watching some Transformers.
andersonh1

Re: 40th Anniversary Transformers event

Post by andersonh1 »

The split screen.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: 40th Anniversary Transformers event

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:46 pm (I was 13 when they first aired!!)
I was born on the day Transformers premiered (which I suddenly realize means I'll be 40 this year as well... yikes). So, unfortunately, I was too young to watch it as it originally aired. Although I do remember watching reruns when I was little, particularly the "Generation 2 Cybercube" version.

For some reason I thought this event would be for the original movie. Interesting it was "More than Meets the Eye". Fitting, being where it all started for the anniversary. Wish I'd looked more into it, would have been cool to see those episodes in a theater.