Transformers One

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Transformers One

Post by Sparky Prime »

The Transformers One trailer came out today. This film is fully animated, telling the origins of Optimus (Orion Pax) and Megatron (D-16) on Cybertron.

I figured when this film was announced it would be more cartoony in tone and animation style. But this still isn't what I had expected. It's just odd to see Optimus and Megatron being... so goofy out on a wild adventure. It makes me think of the Super Mario movie that came out last year mixed with Guardians of the Galaxy. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm just not sure it makes sense for Optimus and Megatron, even if it is essentially them as kids. I'm not a fan that they decided to put Bumbl... B-127 in the film. Optimus and Megatron both matured, but Bumblebee, who apparently has been alongside them from the very beginning, never did? I get 'Bee has become the face of the franchise for general audiences, but this really should have been a different character, like Dion or Ironhide or Ultra Magnus... You know, someone who isn't supposed to still be the young up-and-coming scout once they end up on Earth in millions of years. Scarlett Johansson and Laurence Fishburne I think sound pretty good as Elita-1 and Alpha Trion, but Chris Hemsworth, Brian Tyree Henry and Keegan-Michael Key just don't sound like good matches for Optimus, Megatron and Bumblebee to me. Not sure how I feel about the idea that they start out not being able to transform, and have to be given transformation cogs. Character designs I'm mixed on. Some are great. Others look... The humanoid faces just don't look right.

So I dunno.... There are some things I like about this trailer, mostly in terms of visuals, but they've made a lot of decisions I think could have been better...