Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:50 pmAt this point I think Star Wars is like Marvel and DC, pick the parts you like and ignore the things you don't or aren't interested in. I no longer feel like I have to have seen everything Star Wars to be up on Star Wars.
Agreed, very much so. I've honestly enjoyed most of the Star Wars television offerings, but even there I haven't seen everything. I'm with Sparky, it's the Disney Star Wars movies that have largely been a disappointment, though Rogue One is pretty good.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:08 pmOn the other hand, the third episode of the Mandalorian was the first episode that was a real miss for me. Why in the world did we spend most of an hour with Dr. Pershing on Coruscant? I could care less about that character, I want to see Din and Bo Katan having adventures, I don't care about the Imperial amnesty program. Feels like a real misfire for a show that normally does no wrong as far as I'm concerned.
I really liked following the Dr. Pershing story in this episode personally. We still haven't actually found out what his research involving Grogu was all about. I mean, we can guess he's probably trying to find a way to give non-Force users the ability to use the Force, but the applications for cloning and combining DNA can go in other directions as well. I also liked learning about the Imperial amnesty program. I think it's interesting to see how some of those ex-Empire people are being integrated into the New Republic society. Although I don't understand what the point was of Kane going to all that trouble just to lure Pershing into a trap. If she was tying up loose ends, I think she could have come up with something a lot simpler than that.

That said... This story came out of no where. It really should have been tied to the plot in some way.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:04 pm
andersonh1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:08 pmOn the other hand, the third episode of the Mandalorian was the first episode that was a real miss for me. Why in the world did we spend most of an hour with Dr. Pershing on Coruscant? I could care less about that character, I want to see Din and Bo Katan having adventures, I don't care about the Imperial amnesty program. Feels like a real misfire for a show that normally does no wrong as far as I'm concerned.
I really liked following the Dr. Pershing story in this episode personally. We still haven't actually found out what his research involving Grogu was all about. I mean, we can guess he's probably trying to find a way to give non-Force users the ability to use the Force, but the applications for cloning and combining DNA can go in other directions as well. I also liked learning about the Imperial amnesty program. I think it's interesting to see how some of those ex-Empire people are being integrated into the New Republic society. Although I don't understand what the point was of Kane going to all that trouble just to lure Pershing into a trap. If she was tying up loose ends, I think she could have come up with something a lot simpler than that.

That said... This story came out of no where. It really should have been tied to the plot in some way.
It may well be very relevant down the line. Glad it worked for you. I tend to think Kane is still working for Moff Gideon, and wonder if what she did to Pershing wasn't just silencing a potential witness? I'm sure we'll find out.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ahsoka episode 1 - Very much a Rebels sequel, down to spending half the episode on Lothal with Sabine, a lothcat, and all the familiar setting seen so often in Rebels. Also picks up on the Mandalorian episode with Ahsoka hunting Thrawn, and even has Clancy Brown playing the governor he voiced in Rebels. The music and the direction feel very much like classic Star Wars, and the episode is nearly an hour long. Great stuff, well worth the wait. Looking forward to more.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I watched the first episode last night... I have to say I enjoyed it over all. Although, I've only watched maybe a couple episodes of Clone Wars and Rebels each so I'm not familiar with the backstory and characters here. I know I'd get more out of this series if I were, but so far I don't feel like I need to have seen those shows... Other than maybe to explain how Ahsoka is still around and never appeared in the OT.

I was really happy to see the E-Wings in this show. That's something I wish the sequels had introduced... Ship designs that weren't present in the OT.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Episodes 2 and 3.... I had some issues with.
Spoiler
I'm kind of disappointed Sabine survived getting run-through by a lightsaber. Star Wars has been really downplaying just how lethal lightsabers should be, seeing as Reva survived multiple lightsaber wounds through her chest in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series, and I hate the retcon of Maul surviving getting cut in half (not to mention falling down that giant shaft) from the Clone Wars cartoon I believe. I mean, sure, the saber cauterizes the wound, but there would be extreme damage to the internal organs there as well. Sabine's liver, a kidney, maybe some of her intestines should be toast. Yet, she's perfectly fine in like... a day, seemingly without any lasting impact.

An Inquisitor is still around? I'm not very familiar with their history, but what I've seen said that group ceased to exist prior to the events of A New Hope. I feel like they should have commented on that. Not to mention two Jedi(?), Shin and Baylan. Yet, they haven't even commented on any of that.

I really like the idea of the huge hyperspace ring. Large enough to transport a Star Destroyer and powerful enough to travel to another galaxy is a cool idea. But... did they already know Thrawn is in this other galaxy? To my understanding, like half the Star War galaxy is unexplored/forgotten territory. How'd they have this thing nearly complete before they had the map showing them this hyperspace lane to the other galaxy?

I'm confused about the topic of Sabine's Force abilities... Or lack-there-of. She doesn't appear to be Force sensitive whatsoever, which makes me wonder why Ahsoka decided to make her an apprentice in the first place. Ahsoka says just being a living being gives someone a connection to the Force and some people just have more of a natural talent for it, which I guess makes some sense, but that's not what we've been told or seen in any of the films when it comes to someone actually being able to use the Force. Ahsoka also says that the Jedi's methods of selecting candidates ultimately failed, but... I'm sure she's referring to Anakin, and I don't know if she is aware the Jedi Council objected to him being trained, but either way, her saying that feels disingenuous when the process did work for hundreds of years.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I agree with some of what you've said here.
Spoiler
Poor Qui-Gon. Everyone survives lightsaber wounds except him. Yeah, I have a big problem with how survivable lightsaber stabbings have become. I can see pulling that once as a fluke, but we've seen it too often now. Maul surviving being cut in half is absurd, but they made such good use of the character I was willing to accept it as some dark side of the force power, again as a one time thing. But they've pulled this trick too often now.

Other than that, my only other real complaint about Ahsoka is that we need some men on this show! I get that Rebels didn't leave us many options with Kanan dead and Ezra missing. Zeb is the only other male main cast member, and being CGI the character is probably too expensive to have around too often. It's good to see Ahsoka, Sabine and Hera again, but we seriously need a male main cast member who isn't a villain. Huyang and Chopper don't count.

Otherwise, I am really enjoying the show. The action is good, the plot has me interested, and I'm invested in these characters after four seasons of following them on Rebels. The revelation that Morgan Elsbeth is a Nightsister is a nice link back to Clone Wars and Rebels, and probably explains why she fought fairly well against Ahsoka in the Mandalorian. I think we see just enough of the New Republic to carry the story without delving too deeply into how it works, which I thought dragged several episode of the Mandalorian down during season three. I love the idea of the giant hyperspace ring that can reach another galaxy, something I don't think Star Wars has ever done before. And it was great to see the Purgill in live action after a hint when Grogu saw them.

I wonder where this series is going. Thrawn will be back, we know that from the trailers, but how all these characters will land in the end and what the status quo will be is something I'm not sure of.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Episode 4
Spoiler
I'm confused what happened to Marrok after Ahsoka slashed him with her lightsaber. Was that his suit exploding or did he actually turn to smoke when he died? I would have liked some explanation about his character before they killed him off.

I am aware the 'world between worlds' place was introduced in Rebels... not having seen Rebels, this left me somewhat confused as well. And honestly, I don't really like this as a concept in Star Wars. I mean, I don't think there should be a mystical realm like this that they can actually travel to. And Jedi can unintentionally teleport to this place? And why is this how they decided to have Ahsoka talk to Anakin?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Anakin is dead, since this is post-Return of the Jedi. I guess they wanted to go a different route than having him show up as a Force-ghost. Ahsoka is only alive because of the world between worlds, because Ezra was there and could see different points in time, and he pulled her out of a fight with Darth Vader when Vader was about to kill her, so it makes sense that the series would want to revisit that down the line.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, I know this series is post RotJ. What I mean is I feel like talking to Anakin in the World Between Worlds cheapens the concept of the Force ghost. Becoming a Force ghost was a super rare thing that few had ever achieved, giving those with the Force a rare opportunity to still be able to talk to those individuals despite their physical death. The World Between Worlds totally negates that in that it serves as pathways between time and space in the Force. It doesn't matter that Anakin became a Force ghost, or anyone else for that matter. Anyone, at any point in history, is accessible through the World Between Worlds. I would rather see Ahsoka talking to Anakin as a Force ghost because of the significance that entails.

And it feels a little world breaking if Ahsoka can be saved from (certain?) death by getting teleported to the World Between Worlds. Even Ezra, from what I've seen, had to find a specific place to open a portal to gain access to it first.