Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by andersonh1 »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:09 am Hey Anderson, would you tell me the places you get the hardcovers from again? I'd like to get the 4th compilation for less than $50 if I can help it, but I can't find the links that you posted before.

Thanks!
Cheap Graphic Novels has it for $32.49. I need to order myself a copy!

https://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/prod ... ctid=73295
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Thanks a bunch!
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 39

Post by Dominic »

This issue focuses mostly on Exarchon's plans for Cybertron. Ruckley does a good job of making Exarchon a threat while not making him/them invincible. Exarchon has a few set-backs this issue, but is a bigger threat by the end.

I am not sure how to view the fact that 2 unrelated characters simply recognize Exarchon. On the one hand, they are noticing something wrong. On the other hand, "big threat that we destroyed is back" is a hell of a leap to make when somebody is acting a bit strangely.

Another nice touch, this issue confirms that the "ghosts" Cyclonus regularly talks to are in fact hallucinations. He uses them to "think the unthinkable", and process unpleasant ideas. (When he accepts Provoke's death, she appears with the "ghost".)

One question: How is the Skywarp that Exarchon was "wearing" the regular Skywarp, rather than the Skywarp from the alternate timeline? (I must have fogged out when reading where/when that was explained.)
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:45 am Thanks a bunch!
You're welcome. Sit back and wait though, it'll be three weeks before you see your book. These guys take their time, but it's worth it for the cost savings and the care they take in packing the book.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

andersonh1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 pm
Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:45 am Thanks a bunch!
You're welcome. Sit back and wait though, it'll be three weeks before you see your book. These guys take their time, but it's worth it for the cost savings and the care they take in packing the book.
That works for me. I'm in no hurry as long as I know I'm getting one.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers 39 - Lots of plot threads picked up in this issue, and several people now know that Exarchon is back. Looks like Skywarp isn't quite dead given that Shockwave is busy repairing him. Ultra Magnus isn't intimidated by Sixshot, and it looks like Deathsaurus isn't quite himself... this is a typical middle chapter that starts where the last book left off and ends in an open-ended place, but at least there's some sense of forward progression and finality for some characters. I hate that this series will be winding down soon.
- fun to see Catgut after Bumblebee again.
- There's less "quotable dialogue" this issue than most, but I like Ultra Magnus's "I don't have time for you right now Sixshot, but I guarantee I'll make time very soon."
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 40

Post by Dominic »

Issue 4o:

This issue is the start of what is (likey to be) the last arc of the series. Some of the plot points remind me of "Escape". But, unlike "Escape", the creative and editorial team know that they are losing the license, the ending is likely to be more final (even if this series as a whole as been written as an origin).

As has been normal for the last 3+ years, Ruckley's plotting and execution (aka "writing") is weighted by less than stellar art. Given that the backdrop for this issue is Crystal City, the art really drags the writing down, because it should look so much better.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: issue 40

Dominic wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:04 pm As has been normal for the last 3+ years, Ruckley's plotting and execution (aka "writing") is weighted by less than stellar art. Given that the backdrop for this issue is Crystal City, the art really drags the writing down, because it should look so much better.
It's strange to me that they chose to color all the backgrounds in browns, as opposed to anything that could be considered crystalline.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

War's End #1:

"War's End" reads like it is part of the 2019 "Transformers" series, so it makes sense to discuss it in this thread. Depending on when this series was planned, it was possible that IDW had some ideas that their time with the license was running out. As it is, it looks like "War's End" is being used to end IDW's second run with the series on-time.

The set-up is that a small group of Autobots (including the non-toy Geomotus) have been sent out to investigate something in the Sonic Canyons. They run afoul of Exarchon (who is using Deathsaurus' body).

The main focus on this series is likely to be tying off loose ends more than anything else. Unlike "Escape", which was written with the intent of using plot-threads later, "War's End" is likely end on a more decisive, if perfunctory, note.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Transformers #40 - One of the things it feels like we rarely see in Transformers, despite the fact that it's ostensibly a war comic, are actual massive, army vs. army battles that have strategic goals like taking territory or toppling a crucial leader. Ruckley has shown at least one of these when the Forge was attacked, and then around Termagax's house near the Sea of Rust, and now we get the attack on Crystal City, which Megatron intends to end the war. This reads like a war story, but we still get great characterization, the occasional flowery dialogue, and good interactions between characters. When is the last time Optimus and Bumblebee spoke? 15 issues ago? I'd have to go back and look.

It's good to see Strika acting as a general, and I enjoyed that she and Obsidian got to share a little panel time. I wasn't sure he survived his previous appearance. Given that everyone who wanted to evacuate went to Darkmount, I wonder if this series will end with the Autobots evacuating Cybertron in the one remaining Ark, leaving an open-ended, ongoing war but with a note of hope that Cybertron can be retaken?

War's End #1 - Exarchon is openly moving now, and I enjoy that he's contacting old allies and clearly has some long term plan that he's been working on. Good to see that Skywarp survived (barely) and that we may finally be seeing the answers to Cybertron's geologic disturbances that have been a running subplot for a long time now. Like "Escape", this feels like it should be a subplot in the main book, but if the story is strong enough to stand on its own as a mini-series, I'm all for it.