Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Re: Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

Post by andersonh1 »

Six episodes into the Mandalorian second season, and it's still great. It's not flawless, there have been several "planet/threat of the week" episodes where Din follows his quest to find a Jedi and ends up helping the locals before he can move on to the next stop, so it felt a little repetitive for a few weeks. But each episode taken on its own merits has been very strong, and the casting rumors turn out to have been correct, with appearances by Bo-Katan, Ahsoka and Boba Fett, both in and out of his armor. Nice to see Katee Sackhoff playing her character in live action, and I thought Ahsoka was well cast and reasonably consistent with the older Ahsoka from Rebels. Good to see both of these characters in live action for the first time. It was great to see Temura Morrison back in Star Wars, and his Boba Fett gets more to do and more awesomeness than the character got in Empire and Jedi. His survival and escape from the Sarlacc is official now after having been fan theory for a long time. No explanation is given as to how he lost his armor in the first place, though I'm sure there's a reason. I look forward to the next episode every week.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:57 amHis survival and escape from the Sarlacc is official now after having been fan theory for a long time. No explanation is given as to how he lost his armor in the first place, though I'm sure there's a reason.
Since the Marshall got his armor from Jawas, I assume it's because they salvaged it after the Sarlacc pooped and/or vomited it out. I think Boba's deader than any attempt at a realistic SW continuity.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:09 am
andersonh1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:57 amHis survival and escape from the Sarlacc is official now after having been fan theory for a long time. No explanation is given as to how he lost his armor in the first place, though I'm sure there's a reason.
Since the Marshall got his armor from Jawas, I assume it's because they salvaged it after the Sarlacc pooped and/or vomited it out. I think Boba's deader than any attempt at a realistic SW continuity.
I'm looking at Boba Fett's survival like Darth Maul's equally as improbable survival: if it gives us a good story and a more developed character, I'm fine with it. I would assume the armor protected Boba Fett well enough for him to escape or kill the creature from the inside.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:22 am
Ursus mellifera wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:09 am
I'm looking at Boba Fett's survival like Darth Maul's equally as improbable survival: if it gives us a good story and a more developed character, I'm fine with it. I would assume the armor protected Boba Fett well enough for him to escape or kill the creature from the inside.
I got the impression they were implying the Sarlacc was probably killed by a Krayt Dragon, still during the events of RotJ. The Jawas already had the armor when news about the second Death Star's destruction was making the rounds, and they'd pointed out the Krayt they fought had made its home in an abandoned Sarlacc pit, something that apparently only happens if the Sarlacc is killed. With how slow a Sarlacc's digestion was said to be, I can see him surviving a few hours up to a few days until the Sarlacc was killed, allowing for him to escape.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Sparky Prime wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 pmI got the impression they were implying the Sarlacc was probably killed by a Krayt Dragon, still during the events of RotJ. The Jawas already had the armor when news about the second Death Star's destruction was making the rounds, and they'd pointed out the Krayt they fought had made its home in an abandoned Sarlacc pit, something that apparently only happens if the Sarlacc is killed. With how slow a Sarlacc's digestion was said to be, I can see him surviving a few hours up to a few days until the Sarlacc was killed, allowing for him to escape.
That's a good possibility. His line about "fate stepping in" as well as his still being in the vicinity of the Krayt Dragon's cave might support that idea. Din Djaren escaping from being eaten by the Krayt dragon would indicate that Mandalorian armor is capable of allowing the wearer to get out of some pretty extreme situations, and if he could do it, Boba Fett surely could as well.

I do wonder why he didn't take his armor back from the Marshall though.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I seem to recall someone saying that Sarlacc pits never get abandoned "unless you eat it", which implied to me that the sand people ate the Sarlacc. Or maybe it died (either from natural causes or the Krayt Dragon). Or maybe they were implying that the dragon ate it. But I got the impression that something else ate the Sarlacc and the dragon then took over the pit left behind. I dunno. But the Sand People almost immediately start eating the dragon once it's dead so it's possible they ate the Sarlacc too.

As for Boba Fett dying, I always thought that if he wasn't dead, we would have seen him come back during the Return of the Jedi. The episode with the dragon implied to me that he was still dead and I'm only like 1 1/2 episodes into this. I'm disappointed to hear that he's actually back, but I'll give it a chance and I'll also concede that the possibility of him being alive is a hell of a lot better than Maul, who was 100% definitely dead in the end of Phantom Menace. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed his story arcs in Clone Wars and Rebels, but my suspension of disbelief goes out the window every time I watch the movie and see him get split in half, separate, bounce off the walls of the pit and fall down a bottomless pit (or so deep that we can't even see the bottom). Yeah, IF the lightsaber didn't kill him, then his head bouncing off the walls likely would have done it and if that didn't then slamming into whatever floor of that pit at terminal velocity would have done it for sure. It's just too far fetched to be believable.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:50 amI'm disappointed to hear that he's actually back, but I'll give it a chance and I'll also concede that the possibility of him being alive is a hell of a lot better than Maul, who was 100% definitely dead in the end of Phantom Menace. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed his story arcs in Clone Wars and Rebels, but my suspension of disbelief goes out the window every time I watch the movie and see him get split in half, separate, bounce off the walls of the pit and fall down a bottomless pit (or so deep that we can't even see the bottom). Yeah, IF the lightsaber didn't kill him, then his head bouncing off the walls likely would have done it and if that didn't then slamming into whatever floor of that pit at terminal velocity would have done it for sure. It's just too far fetched to be believable.
I completely agree. I never liked the idea of bringing Maul back after his death in Phantom Menace. Maybe he survived being cut in half by a lightsaber but that in itself I feel is a bit of a stretch. We know the lightsaber would cauterize the wounds, but that'd still be major trauma with some serious damage to several of his organs. But add in the fall down the giant pit, bouncing along the walls? Force powers or not, he's dead. Boba Fett, I never really saw a need to bring back either (although I have to say, I was surprised that I found I really enjoyed seeing him again). But unlike Maul, I can at least see the possibility he survived. The whole reason Jabba wanted to throw his prisoners into the Sarlacc pit was to torture them as well as kill them. Given he says they'll "find a new definition of pain and suffering, as you are slowly digested over a thousand years" at least implies they'd survive (in unspeakable agony) within the creatures stomach for some amount of time.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Wow. The Mandalorian finale has
Spoiler
Luke Skywalker
show up at the end
Spoiler
to take Grogu and give him Jedi training.
So many good moments in this episode, and the season as a whole. No idea where they're going for season three.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

I haven't watched it yet, but that's honestly what I assumed would happen.
Spoiler
What else are you gonna do with the little guy? And we know Luke opens up that school so it can be abandoned after the "Ben Solo incident." I wonder if Grogou survives that? I wouldn't mind some far flung future story were we get to see him as a adult.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I missed the post-credits scene the first time. So we're getting
Spoiler
"The Book of Boba Fett" next year, eh? I'm in. How did Bib Fortuna get off the sail barge before it exploded?