Star Trek

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Trek

Post by Shockwave »

Wasn't the Enterprise J referenced in Enterprise supposed to be in the 31st century? That would mean that Starfleet went through the same amount of starships named Voyager in 100 years less than it took the Enterprise. That would mean the starships named Voyager have gone through some shit. The NX-01 wouldn't count because it's not legacy numbered.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:04 am Wasn't the Enterprise J referenced in Enterprise supposed to be in the 31st century? That would mean that Starfleet went through the same amount of starships named Voyager in 100 years less than it took the Enterprise. That would mean the starships named Voyager have gone through some shit. The NX-01 wouldn't count because it's not legacy numbered.
The Enterprise J was in the 26th century, it was Daniels that was from the 31st century.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I knew the 31st century was mentioned somewhere. And I just got done watching that series too.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Season 3 episode 6
Spoiler
I haven't been able to learn much about this episode yet, save for some upgrades Discovery gets... Over 3 weeks, Discovery has received a retrofit to upgrade it with 32nd century technology. The hull has been refit, programmable matter has been integrated with their newly upgraded systems, and the nacelles are now detached, which apparently improves maneuverability and makes the ship more efficient in flight (not sure how that makes any sense, given space is a vacuum). They've also changed the registry number... it is now NCC-1031-A. Yes, they added an A. Even though that's not how we've seen legacy registries work in Star Trek... This is like when the Enterprise got a major refit in TMP, it is not a brand new ship named in honor of Discovery. This also creates a visual dis-continuity with the Short Trek episode "Calypso", given Discovery appeared in its original configuration in that (not that such things seems to bother these creators). I do like the look of the refit, but once again, they kinda ruin it by adding an A to the registry that it shouldn't have. The crew also get new 32nd century comm badges, which not only is a communicator, but has built in holographic padd, transporter and tricorder functions. Yet, they still have the same uniforms for some reason...

The rest of the episode I gather is basically Burnham (with help from Georgiou) needlessly going rouge to save Book, who has located a Starfleet vessel's black box but ended up captured by the Emerald Chain, a syndicate of Andorians and Orions. After successfully saving Book and the lives of the people of the planet he was being held at, Admiral Vance tells her he probably would have authorized the mission to recover intelligence, and that she'd be in the brig if not for the fact the mission was a success in saving the lives of the people being held by the Emerald Chain. Saru demotes her from first officer and restricts her to just her duties as science officer.

In a preview clip for next week's episode. Burnham and Tilly discuss the black boxes recovered so far. The data tells them there is a very, very small delay from when each of the ships lost contact from which they could triangulate where The Burn originated from. They'll still need more data to narrow down and pinpoint that location in four dimensions though.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Garret Wang and Robert McNeill have reached "Threshold" in their Voyager watch-through, so if you want to know what they think of what is widely regarded as the worst-ever Voyager episode, take a listen. I don't think it's the worst, but it's near the bottom for sure.

https://the-delta-flyers.captivate.fm/
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Unification III
Spoiler
This episode is sorta a sequel to TNG 2 part Unification episodes, featuring Spock on Romulus working on reunification between the Romulans and Vulcans. At some point following the destruction of Romulus, reunification has slowly and finally happened, with the Romulans returning to Vulcan at some point following the destruction Romulus. Vulcan has also been renamed Ni'Var.

Prior to The Burn, with dilithium running out, Ni'Var was working on solutions to the problem and came up with SB-19 (essentially a network of jump gates, devices that can slingshot starships light years in an instant, which also apparently has extensive sensor data.) The Ni'Var felt the technology was dangerous and wanted to sideline it, but as one of the most promising alternatives to using warp drive with dilithium at the time, the Federation pressured them to continue working on it. When The Burn happened, the Ni'Var thought SB-19 caused it, and left the Federation blaming them for forcing them to continue the research. Apparently the Romulans wanted to remain part of the Federation, and it was the Vulcans that decided they should leave.

Discovery is sent to Ni'Var to reopen diplomatic relations now that they have new data about the cause of The Burn, and Spock's sister is the only one that can do it (seriously? why is every situation in this show Burnham is always the 'only one that can do it', even in situations where someone else is shown to be most suited for it?). They also want the data from SB-19, as it can help lead them to where The Burn originated from.

The warp nacelles reattach to the ship when they used the spore drive. Still don't know how having them detached at sub-light speeds is supposed to make the ship more maneuverable.... And wouldn't that take a little time for the warp plasma to charge the coils or something in order to use the warp drive?

The Vulcan president of Ni'Var refuses their request for the SB-19 data, citing cultural and political reasons, along with the sensitive relations the Vulcans and Romulans still have. Burnham forces the issue by requesting "T'Kal-in-ket", in which Burnham will have to "rigorously defend" her theories in front of a quorum, a request that cannot be ignored once invoked.

Burnham meets a member of the Qowat Milat (tying in the concept that was recently introduced in the Picard series) in this century... which turns out to be her mother. She's her advocate for the T'Kal-in-ket.

It's odd to me they didn't redress any of the sets with all the upgrades to Discovery. The bridge I can kinda understand, they really only needed to upgrade the consoles, but something like the transporter room I feel should look very different with how far that technology would have changed in 900 years. Do they really even still need a transporter room with built-in transporters to every comm badge? Engineering should also be very different, with how much warp drive technology has improved.

Saru names Ensign Tilly his new first officer following Burnham's demotion from the position... I'm pretty sure first officer position is meant to follow the chain of command, it's not a position that can be assigned to just any crewmember of any rank, meaning whoever the third officer should have gotten it. And highlights an ongoing problem with this series, these characters and their roles after 3 seasons are still so ill-defined, we don't know what the chain of command for these characters is.

Burnham gets the SB-19 data, and while talks of rejoining the Federation is premature yet, it would seem Ni'Var is open to the idea again.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

The chain of command problem I'm blaming on Alex Kurtzman. He simply doesn't understand how military organizations work which is a HUGE problem with the 2009 film and is so bad in that one that it even has consequences into the next two films. It's the same problem here as well and in every new Trek that's on CBS right now. He REALLY needs to stop writing (I think at all period) about anything with a military style set up. So, yes you're correct, the second officer should be promoted to 1st officer in the event that the 1st officer is no longer available. This is also a problem I've had since the first episode: Burnham would never have been reinstated to begin with and definitely would NEVER have been put in any sort of position of Authority. Now it also seems that she's a Mary-Sue because she's always "the only who can do it" for whatever bullshit scenario they've created. Gah, the more I read about this, the more I'm glad I don't watch this.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:57 amThe chain of command problem I'm blaming on Alex Kurtzman. He simply doesn't understand how military organizations work which is a HUGE problem with the 2009 film and is so bad in that one that it even has consequences into the next two films. It's the same problem here as well and in every new Trek that's on CBS right now. He REALLY needs to stop writing (I think at all period) about anything with a military style set up. So, yes you're correct, the second officer should be promoted to 1st officer in the event that the 1st officer is no longer available.
I almost mentioned Kurtzman was one of the same writers that thought they could take a CADET Kirk, that hadn't even graduated from the academy yet, and promoted him straight to Captain in the 2009 film, completely bypassing chain of command or any sense of reality. I fully agree, he needs to stop writing. I don't think he's ever written anything that didn't take huge leaps in logic.
Now it also seems that she's a Mary-Sue because she's always "the only who can do it" for whatever bullshit scenario they've created. Gah, the more I read about this, the more I'm glad I don't watch this.
Yeah, this is also something I almost pointed out.... Back in episode episode 5, they set up Nhan as the only crewmember that could deal with a situation, as a Barzan that could relate to a fellow Barzan. But nope, one of the other characters cuts in and says Burnham is the only one that can deal with it, because Nhan was "too close" to the situation. The episode before that, when they needed someone to accompany Adira to Trill, which at first they select a medical officer (which would have, you know, made sense), but then they end up sending Burnham instead because she can relate to Adira's feeling of disorientation and loss. And now with this episode, Burnham is the only one that can deal with the situation with the Vulcans because she's Spock's (adopted) sister. Which, didn't they classify that she even existed? Not that that made sense in the first place, given her fame as the first Starfleet officer to mutiny.... But they really seem to be going out of their way to put Burnham at the center of every situation, even when they set it up for other characters.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:38 pmI almost mentioned Kurtzman was one of the same writers that thought they could take a CADET Kirk, that hadn't even graduated from the academy yet, and promoted him straight to Captain in the 2009 film, completely bypassing chain of command or any sense of reality. I fully agree, he needs to stop writing. I don't think he's ever written anything that didn't take huge leaps in logic.
Yeah, you're not wrong about that and in thinking about it, it actually does kind of overshadow the whole film (at least for me). Because the whole time I'm watching CADET Kirk throughout the movie, I'm wondering when or how enough time in the movie is going to elapse for it to make sense for us to be watching CAPTAIN Kirk by the end of it. And unfortunately, it never happens, he just magically gets promoted at the end of it, which is stupid. And Chris Pine is not young enough to pull off someone who would be young enough to be at Starfleet Academy. I have mixed feelings about the movie. It was entertaining, the special effects were fine, the acting was fine, the cinematography was fine, but the writing was just so terrible that it takes me out of the experience. And that's where it fails as a movie.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:20 pmYeah, you're not wrong about that and in thinking about it, it actually does kind of overshadow the whole film (at least for me). Because the whole time I'm watching CADET Kirk throughout the movie, I'm wondering when or how enough time in the movie is going to elapse for it to make sense for us to be watching CAPTAIN Kirk by the end of it. And unfortunately, it never happens, he just magically gets promoted at the end of it, which is stupid. And Chris Pine is not young enough to pull off someone who would be young enough to be at Starfleet Academy. I have mixed feelings about the movie. It was entertaining, the special effects were fine, the acting was fine, the cinematography was fine, but the writing was just so terrible that it takes me out of the experience. And that's where it fails as a movie.
It certainly does overshadow the whole film. Really, almost the entire crew ends up together, in their respective positions no less, through a series of forced coincidences that defy logic. Chekov should only be 13 years old from what TOS established, yet he's somehow 17 in this timeline and already an ensign. Apparently he was a child prodigy for having gotten through the academy by 17, ahead of cadet Kirk... Did Chekov enroll when he was 14? Sulu is the helmsmen because some other guy happened to call out sick. Uhura gets on the Enterprise because of her relationship with Spock, then gets the communications officer job because of a transmission she intercepted that Kirk happened to overhear her talking about earlier, and because she can distinguish Romulan from Vulcan (although I really have to doubt the languages are anything alike after centuries evolving separately, or that it should matter with the universal translator). Also, why is she still at the academy? She has the rank of lieutenant when she is assigned to a ship, and she was enrolled in Starfleet before Kirk. Shouldn't she have graduated? Scotty happened to be on a planet (or moon of Vulcan given its proximity? despite Vulcan has no moon. Which reminds me, Discovery also shows a moon when they arrive at Vulcan/Ni'Var) Kirk gets marooned on, and with Prime Spock's (who also just so happened to be marooned there) help, perfects the transwarp beaming formula that makes spaceships irrelevant (one of the dumbest things in these films for how broken a plot device it is). Then he becomes chief engineer because.... reasons? I mean, the chief engineer the Enterprise had was killed earlier, but how would Scotty get the position over anyone who'd actually been assigned to the ship? Scotty essentially abandoned his post to go with Kirk for no apparent reason.

McCoy... actually makes sense. As I recall, they established he was already a doctor prior to joining Starfleet, which may have allowed him to automatically jump up a few ranks, despite enrolling at the same time as Kirk. And with the death of the chief medical officer on the Enterprise, naturally he would assume the role. Spock... I guess makes sense as well, given the absence of Pike's "Number One" in these films. Although, I kinda miss the inclusion of the Number One character. It would have made Spock seem a bit younger if he was still a Lt. Commander, and second officer under Number One.

It's an enjoyable popcorn flick, but it's so disappointing as a Star Trek movie, that like you, takes me out of the experience because of how poor the writing is.