Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 2019 (IDW comic series) discussion

Post by Shockwave »

That would really suck if it's true. I would hate to enter another period where there's no Transformers comics being made. We haven't had that in 20 years.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Honestly, I think I'm done with TF comics if this one ends soon. I don't have it in me to slog through another reboot, especially since it's unlikely to be as good as this one.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

According to this solicitation (link back to the original does not work), Transformers Galaxies is ending with issue 12, but the ongoing does not seem to be. See the bolded sentence in the description.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/what-if ... citations/

Transformers #24
"Wheeljack: Orbital Decay". Untethered from the world below, Cybertron's former inner moon is in a decaying orbit around Cybertron's sun. Wheeljack and his team race against the clock to save it, but the sun's pull might not be their only problem.

In Shops: Oct 14, 2020
SRP: $3.99

Transformers Galaxies #12
W) Brandon M. Easton (A/CA) Andrew Griffith
"Storm Horizon", Part Three! Outfitted with heavy-duty battle armor and nearly alone, Ultra Magnus must go head-to-head with a fleet of enemy ships and a black hole if he ever wants to save the rest of his crew and Alpha Trion! It's wall-to-wall action as he finally faces the mastermind behind his recent troubles in the thrilling final issue of Transformers Galaxies that leads into the next major events of the Transformers ongoing, starting this fall!

In Shops: Oct 21, 2020
SRP: $3.99
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Oh thank Primus! I really don't want to go through another TF content blackout. Although it would be a very 2020 thing to happen.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 21

Post by Dominic »

Hopefully, the solicits are accurate.

My worry is that they were written months in advance, and might not reflect what is likely to happen after the shutdown.

And, the recent turmoil at IDW is not cause for optimism.

Issue 21:

Yet another reason to hope this series keeps going.

Both sides focus on protecting witnesses and possible informants while the situation spirals further out of control.

The breakdowns towards the end are sloppy. Not sure if the problem is Ruckley or the artist.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

With issue 21, it feels like we've hit the first battle of the (as-yet undeclared) war. It's supposed to be a police action and an arrest, but the fight escalates as the issue goes on, and with Megatron's giant holographic announcement, and the quakes in the oldest section of Cybertron, there's probably no going back at this point. The art disappoints a bit this time around, but it's serviceable. As always, one sign of a good series is that it really makes me want to get the next issue to see what happens next, and this book does that month after month.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

I loved issue #22. LOVED IT.
Spoiler
I've been waiting for Quake to get offed for months, and Bumblebee getting to do it, the way he does it, is perfect.
I even liked the art in this issue. I think that's the first time that's happened.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Issue 22

Post by Dominic »

On a wholly personal note,I am regretting my decision to use 2016 Quake as fodder for customizing projects. I could have used Hardhead and/or another figure. But, I economized and went with Quake.

And, I giggled when Quake was decapitated. (The fact that 2016 Quake is a headmaster is why I used it for customizing.).

This issue is a solid continuation of a solidly written series, and is a good example of why I argue that single-issue arcs are a problem. The multi-issue pacing of this series allowed Rckley to get a story out of Sentinel's calculated handling if Quake, without using narration boxes or thought bubbles.

I suspect the fact that Bumblebee killed the Senate's only witness is going to figure heavily in to the next few issues.

Need I mention how bad the art is?

I got the least relevant cover variant (the Decepticon group shot). If I see the Prowl cover elsewhere, I might spring for it.

Next issue, I *really* want the Megatron cover.
Last edited by Dominic on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:02 am I loved issue #22. LOVED IT.
Spoiler
I've been waiting for Quake to get offed for months, and Bumblebee getting to do it, the way he does it, is perfect.
I even liked the art in this issue. I think that's the first time that's happened.
I did not expect that at all. Glad to see Quake get what was so clearly coming to him, but the way it happened surprised me.

Sentinel Prime has seemed very much in charge up until this issue. He seemed slightly on the desperate side in this issue, and bringing Quake in on a public street in full view of the crowds was so obviously a stupid decision, as seen in how events play out. Since we all expect Orion to become Optimus Prime at some point, I've been watching for Sentinel Prime to meet a bad end eventually, but how it happens will be interesting to watch.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

andersonh1 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:47 amSince we all expect Orion to become Optimus Prime at some point, I've been watching for Sentinel Prime to meet a bad end eventually, but how it happens will be interesting to watch.
I'm expecting Orion to get an emergency battlefield promotion. Everything's already collapsed, violence is everywhere, and Sentinel dies with Orion happening to be the closest, and still loyal, member of the Senate.

I agree with you that bringing in Quake through a crowded street was foolish. It was an act of desperation from someone clearly feeling the stress of their failing control.