War for Cybertron: Earthrise line

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

War for Cybertron: Earthrise line

Post by JediTricks »

Your first look at the Earthrise line for 2020 is... yup, another goddamned Optimus Prime!

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/01/397332-397332

And Grapple's back, guys! Grapple! And he's got his hook cleverly stored... on the side of his vehicle mode? He seems fine, a little hollow but that seems to be the MO of the brand now.

Ironworks is another Weaponizer, this time instead of an alt mode that is a vehicle, he's... uh... a brick with parts? I mean, "a base", yeah, that's it, he turns into a base. It looks like as a base he interlocks with other bases, including Optimus' trailer.

And also there's more Micromasters which don't really affect me whatsoever one way or the other.

So, here we are at Earth modes, that's the next step in the War for Cybertron line. It makes me a bit wistful we never got an Earth game in the (unrelated) War for Cybertron video game series.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Earth Rises line

Post by Dominic »

I like these more than I want to.

There is nothing that I plan to go crazy looking for. But, I like these more than I want to.

The Micromasters (Hotrod Patrol members) happen to be characters that I like (based on the old Dreamwave series), so I am likely to get them. The Ironworks figure/display is the sort of thing that I have been wanting Hasbro to make for *years*. And, is visually compliments the hotrods.

I am intrigued by the Optimus. But, the last time a $50 Optimus intrigued me, it turned out to be something best avoided.

Grapple does not look bad. But, that price-point has disappointed me too many times recently.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

*Sigh* We're back to Earth forms already? I wasn't a big fan of most of the Siege designs, but I feel like it's too soon to be rehashing these versions of the characters again. And what is this, the fourth or fifth Optimus Prime in the line? Makes it seem especially odd they did a Star Convoy version already, when you'd think they'd have saved that for whatever they call the next line after Earth Rises.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Most of the current "Seige" figures are only a step or two removed from Earth forms. (Even Brunt has treads, like an Earth tank. Reflector has a combined form that is a camera. Most of the Micromasters are in Earth modes.)

Most lines have at least one Optimus Prime. A $50 figure (especially after there was a $50 Optimus this year, along with a $30 Optimus) is a bit much. But, it has been years since Hasbro has released a non-Masterpiece Optimus with a trailer.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Most of the current "Seige" figures are only a step or two removed from Earth forms. (Even Brunt has treads, like an Earth tank. Reflector has a combined form that is a camera. Most of the Micromasters are in Earth modes.)
That's why I wasn't a big fan of the Siege figures. Most of them weren't Cybertronian enough...
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I fixed the title, it's apparently "Earthrise".
Dominic wrote:I am intrigued by the Optimus. But, the last time a $50 Optimus intrigued me, it turned out to be something best avoided.
Oh really? Which one?
Grapple does not look bad. But, that price-point has disappointed me too many times recently.
I only have 2 Siege Voyagers but both are adequate in their way. I know you don't like Starscream, but that figure works better in person than it deserves (I did get it for $20), and Megatron has some interesting stuff going on. Both are certainly quite flawed, but at least have no stickers.

Sparky Prime wrote:*Sigh* We're back to Earth forms already? I wasn't a big fan of most of the Siege designs, but I feel like it's too soon to be rehashing these versions of the characters again. And what is this, the fourth or fifth Optimus Prime in the line? Makes it seem especially odd they did a Star Convoy version already, when you'd think they'd have saved that for whatever they call the next line after Earth Rises.
Yeah, it seems weird that they would skip over the Fall of Cybertron step just to make sure they can do the same characters a year later.

Going back 6 years to Thrilling 30, we've had at the very least:
  1. Legends Class (Thrilling 30, 2013)
  2. Deluxe Class Orion Pax (Thrilling 30, 2013)
  3. Voyager Class (Combiner Wars, 2015)
  4. Voyager Class Battle Core (Combiner Wars, 2015)
  5. Leader Class (remold of Ultra Magnus, Titans Return, 2016)
  6. Voyager Class (Titans Return, 2016)
  7. Masterpiece (re-release of MP-10, 2017)
  8. Leader Class (Power of the Primes, 2017)
  9. Voyager Class (Siege, 2018)
  10. Leader Class Galaxy Prime (Siege, 2019)
  11. Ghostbusters Masterpiece (repaint of MP-10, 2019)
  12. Leader Class Star Convoy (remold of POTP LC, 2019)
  13. Masterpiece MP-44 (2019)
Dominic wrote:Most of the current "Seige" figures are only a step or two removed from Earth forms. (Even Brunt has treads, like an Earth tank. Reflector has a combined form that is a camera. Most of the Micromasters are in Earth modes.)
I hadn't thought about the Micromasters, but that's entirely true.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: War for Cybertron: Earthrise line

Post by Dominic »

Oh really? Which one?
The current series has a larger Prime that is a riff on the old "Cybertron" figure (from 2005).

I have always liked the general design of the "Cybertron" Prime. And, the current comic is using (the unarmored form of) that toy as the model for Prime. But, there is no excuse for a $50 figure (especially one based on a design from over a decade ago) to have painted facade-kibble (wheels in this case) in robot mode.

I only have 2 Siege Voyagers but both are adequate in their way. I know you don't like Starscream, but that figure works better in person than it deserves (I did get it for $20), and Megatron has some interesting stuff going on. Both are certainly quite flawed, but at least have no stickers.
Starscream is inexcusable.

Megatron and Soundwave are passable. (And, I am biased on Megatron, given how much I like the comics.) If I did not have the 2006 figure, I might consider the current Voyager-class Prime. But, it does not look good enough to buy as a replacement (despite the 2006 figure being more than a decade old.) Springer...just..... No.

Yeah, it seems weird that they would skip over the Fall of Cybertron step just to make sure they can do the same characters a year later.
Optimus Prime is a main character. It makes sense that Hasbro would try to keep a Prime on the shelves at any given time. ("Star Wars" uses a similar model for main characters. Every wave has at least 1 main character from every era of the franchise, meaning that a collector can probably get at least one iteration of a given character in the course of a year.)

I hadn't thought about the Micromasters, but that's entirely true.
I wish that Hasbro made full teams, and was more willing to use character specific molds. I almost did not buy the Air Strike jets and the Autobot cars. (Both current sets happened to included members I liked individually, and I was generally worn down when I found both sets.) I would have bought the Decepticon cars and Autobot Rescue Patrol, had they been a complete teams (with character specific molding).
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Optimus Prime is a main character. It makes sense that Hasbro would try to keep a Prime on the shelves at any given time. ("Star Wars" uses a similar model for main characters. Every wave has at least 1 main character from every era of the franchise, meaning that a collector can probably get at least one iteration of a given character in the course of a year.)
Transformers has other main characters besides just Optimus Prime, and Hasbro is kinda getting into the territory of there being like 3 versions of Optimus on shelves at any given time.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Looks at Cliffjumper, Wheeljack, Hoist and the ones previously revealed:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/03/new ... rse-397565

Hoist looks decent, but that Wheeljack is a big wow for me! I didn't expect to want another, but I do want that figure.

Starscream looks wrong in both modes, like something is incomplete in bot mode (around the sides of the midsection) and a riff on the Classics figure. I dunno if I'll bother, maybe I'll get a repaint or a conehead if they do that instead.

Official renders and details on the figures:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/03/tra ... -up-397830

It looks like the Battle Masters don't even really transform this time around, they just have a piece of shield/roadway that is their main gimmick. I think that's asking WAY too much of buyers.

The alternate transformation on Ironworks is more interesting than the first images of him.

Cliffjumper's skis! :D
Dominic wrote:The current series has a larger Prime that is a riff on the old "Cybertron" figure (from 2005).

I have always liked the general design of the "Cybertron" Prime. And, the current comic is using (the unarmored form of) that toy as the model for Prime. But, there is no excuse for a $50 figure (especially one based on a design from over a decade ago) to have painted facade-kibble (wheels in this case) in robot mode.
Oh, yeah, that Galaxy Prime looks like butt, worse in every way to the 2005 figure except for Hasbro's bottom line. And a second time being remolded from Ultra Magnus.

Optimus Prime is a main character. It makes sense that Hasbro would try to keep a Prime on the shelves at any given time. ("Star Wars" uses a similar model for main characters. Every wave has at least 1 main character from every era of the franchise, meaning that a collector can probably get at least one iteration of a given character in the course of a year.)
The amount of Optimus Primes is egregious. The Star Wars brand hasn't leaned heavily on that "include a main character in every wave" stuff in a while, in fact there's a new Black Series Jedi Luke that'll be a damned Walmart exclusive. It seems to be Disney trying to get less of the OT characters out there to flood the zone with masked characters they hope will be iconic. (But aren't.)
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The big obstacle for most of these is going to be distribution. (Honestly, if I do not find Impactor, I am likely to just give up the line.)
Looks at Cliffjumper, Wheeljack, Hoist and the ones previously revealed:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/03/new ... rse-397565
Cliffjumper and Hoist do not look bad. (I am keeping the 2014, if only because I *really* like the comic it was packaged with.)

Wheeljack looks excellent.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/10/03/tra ... -up-397830

It looks like the Battle Masters don't even really transform this time around, they just have a piece of shield/roadway that is their main gimmick. I think that's asking WAY too much of buyers.
Oh...wait....

At first glance, I thought that ramp/shield guy was part of the Ironworks set. But, you are probably right. Those are worse than the "extra" Headmaster figures a few years back.

It seems to be Disney trying to get less of the OT characters out there to flood the zone with masked characters they hope will be iconic. (But aren't.)
That is....stupid.

I am all for releasing swarms of army-builders. But, casual collectors are going to want main characters. And, they are not going to hunt for those toys.