Bumblebee

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Bumblebee

Post by Sparky Prime »

The first official trailer has been released for the upcoming Bumblebee film.

This movie will be a prequel to the other live-action films, taking place in 1987 and obviously focus on Bumblebee. This will also be the last film set in that continuity.

Have to say I'm liking the old Volkswagen bug look on Bumblebee, and it's great to see a much more G1 inspired looking Decepticon seeker. Wish we'd seen more of that sort of design during the previous 5 films.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Bumblebee

Post by Dominic »

I was hoping it would be set in WWII. (Bumblebee takes his mode from the wrong side....)

Joking aside, the Decepticon looks like Starscream.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

It looks better than I expected, and the more G1-reminiscent vehicles and modes do appeal to me. I had kind of shrugged my shoulders at this movie, with Bumblebee not being a character I care that much about, but it might be fun.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I thought this is no longer a prequel to the other films, it's now a reboot according Good ol' Hasbro. Is that not the case?

Making Bumblebee smaller in bot mode was smart, and you can figure out what parts are what on him and Starscream, it is easy to see this as not-Bayverse.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:I thought this is no longer a prequel to the other films, it's now a reboot according Good ol' Hasbro. Is that not the case?
Bumblebee was already filmed and in post-production at the time they decided they would be rebooting the franchise. According to Hasbro's investors preview back in February, a new team at Paramount will be starting work on rebooting the franchise following the release of Bumblebee. They also said at the time that there are no plans for another live-action TF film through 2021, whatever may come will only come (on or) after the aforementioned year. When Transformers 7 was officially removed from Paramount's line-up last month, they'd said they'd be "rebooting the entire franchise in the direction of Bumblebee", whatever that's supposed to mean. I haven't seen anything definitively say that this film is a reboot though, as far as I've seen, it's still considered a part of the established live-action continuity and that the reboot will come after it.
Making Bumblebee smaller in bot mode was smart, and you can figure out what parts are what on him and Starscream, it is easy to see this as not-Bayverse.
It's still the same design aesthetics as the Bayverse...
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

This movie is not quite the Bayformers aesthetic. It is closer to Bayformers than it is to G1. But, not quite Bayformers.

When Transformers 7 was officially removed from Paramount's line-up last month, they'd said they'd be "rebooting the entire franchise in the direction of Bumblebee", whatever that's supposed to mean. I haven't seen anything definitively say that this film is a reboot though, as far as I've seen, it's still considered a part of the established live-action continuity and that the reboot will come after it.
"Reboot" and "reset" have looser meanings than you are assuming.

What Paramount likely meant is that the new movies are going to look and play like "Bumblebee" more than the earlier Bayformers. If "Bumblebee" does well (enough), it will be a hard reboot for a new set of movies. If it does okay, Paramount and Hasbro will keep some of it, but discard the rest, for the new movies. Obviously, if it fails, they will ignore it.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:This movie is not quite the Bayformers aesthetic. It is closer to Bayformers than it is to G1. But, not quite Bayformers.
I'd have to disagree. It has a little bit more G1 influence in it, but I'd have to say it's still very much the Bayformers aesthetic.
"Reboot" and "reset" have looser meanings than you are assuming.
How is there "looser meanings" to assume anything differently? Either it is in-continuity with the other films, or it isn't. And they've been pretty clear that Bumblebee is set up as a stand-alone movie, but it will be in-continuity with the previous films. While for the future of the franchise they are planning to reboot everything.
What Paramount likely meant is that the new movies are going to look and play like "Bumblebee" more than the earlier Bayformers. If "Bumblebee" does well (enough), it will be a hard reboot for a new set of movies. If it does okay, Paramount and Hasbro will keep some of it, but discard the rest, for the new movies. Obviously, if it fails, they will ignore it.
I get that, although I don't think they mean that in terms of keeping any of the Bumblebee film, regardless of how it performs. I'd agree they are talking about the type of stories they will do moving forward. In other words, they're just planning on keeping things simple with a smaller cast and more down to Earth plot. When I said 'whatever that means', I just meant that I hope they don't think they can only focus on one Autobot (let alone one who can't even talk). I've been seeing people say they get more of an Iron Giant vibe from the Bumblebee trailer than Transformers.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

A few interesting details revealed at SDCC....
Spoiler
Cybertron is going to be featured in the film as Bumblebee’s backstory is elaborated on and why he comes to Earth in the first place
Official confirmation that Shatter and Dropkick are triple changers!
The seeker shown in the trailers is NOT Starscream but Blitzwing! However, it is unknown right now if he is also a triple changer.
Optimus Prime appears in hologram form, looking close to G1 design
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

If they have him arriving on Earth in the 80's that's going to directly contradict TLK, since he was shown to be fighting for the Allies in WWII. Although, these movies barely maintain continuity in the same movie much less the whole movieverse itself so...
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I'm kind of assuming that they'll have some sort of time skip to avoid addressing Bumblebee's time on Earth prior to the 80's. But then, like you say, these films barely maintain continuity in the same movie, so it wouldn't surprise me if this film ends up contradicting a few things.