Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
andersonh1

Star Wars - General Discussion Thread

Post by andersonh1 »

Any thoughts on the new trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY

- it's good to finally see Luke Skywalker in a substantial role. I'm still more than a little disappointed that he didn't appear until the last 30 seconds of TFA
- It's sad to see Carrie Fisher, knowing she's gone now
- it's also a bit sad to know we'll never see Han, Luke and Leia together on the screen. There's no possibility of reuniting the old friends for a scene
- knuckle-dragging Walkers? Not a fan of that odd redesign
- the trailer feels like a lot of misdirection
- despite myself, I'm a bit hyped to see if this installment fills in a lot of the gaps from episode 7.
- The First Order vs. the Resistance plotline feels like filler while we wait for the good stuff: Rey, Luke and whatever is going on with Snoke and Kylo Ren. It's the personal stories that interest me here, because they didn't make me care about the galaxy-spanning conflict last time around. Maybe they will this time.

I am looking forward to the movie, despite my disappointment with the last one.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Star Wars - The Last Jedi

Post by Shockwave »

It does feel like a lot of misdirection, I'm glad to see walkers back, especially with a new design, We lost the chance at a full reunion with Luke, Han and Leia last movie when Han died, I'm more bummed that we won't see her in Episode 9. Still, I'm pretty excited for this one.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah, I'd also have to agree it looks like a lot of misdirection in the trailer.

It's great to see Luke. That's something that really disappointed me about TFA... That he was hardly in it and his new Jedi Order had been destroyed before it hardly had a chance to begin. Although I am interested that he appears to be training Rey in some new way.

Not a big fan of some of the new vehicles. Seems like odd design choices even for Star Wars.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm looking forward to The Last Jedi. Hopefully it'll deliver on more than TFA did.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

One of the things I wonder about from the trailer is Luke's comment about only having seen such raw power once before, and noting that while it didn't scare him then, it does now. The trailer makes it appear as though he's talking about Kylo Ren, and that's certainly possible and would make sense. I wonder if he's not referring to Palpatine, who he badly underestimated in ROTJ.

I wonder who Snoke is supposed to be. He acts like a Sith trying to win his apprentice, but there seems to be more too it than that.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Okay, spoiler based on reading multiple reviews. I've read more, but this is the one that really put me off the movie.

Spoiler
Luke Skywalker dies.

I'm going to vent a bit here, and we probably covered some of this ground with The Force Awakens. But what exactly is the point of bringing back these old characters just to kill them off and end their story? The more I thought about TFA, the more it bothered me that they took the happy ending from Return of the Jedi, that those characters had certainly earned, and turned everything on its head. Han and Leia had a rough relationship, and their son went bad, ultimately killing his father. Luke started a school, but his nephew destroys it, and Luke becomes a bitter, jaded hermit. Overall, nothing in the galaxy has changed, it's still the Rebellion vs the Empire, only now it's the Resistance vs. the First Order. There's no point in fighting the good fight, apparently, because even when you win it's only temporary. How long before Rey, Finn and Poe learn the same thing?

In short, why should I bother with a retread of the original Star Wars movies that kill off characters I'm invested in? At least with the prequels, which I still enjoy, Lucas did something new.

I'm at the point where I don't think I care to go see The Last Jedi, and I was actually looking forward to it at one point. If any of you guys go see it, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

andersonh1 wrote:But what exactly is the point of bringing back these old characters just to kill them off and end their story?
I've seen a lot of talk of handing the reins over to the new generation. Although I think they could do that with out killing off the old characters...
Spoiler
In Luke's case at least he could still potentially return as a Force ghost, right?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Saw the film today... Having seen so many negative reviews of it, I went in not expecting much. And while I would have to say there are issues with it, or wished they went in a different direction with some stuff, overall I'd say I enjoyed the film.

Potential spoilers...
Spoiler
Like The Force Awakens borrowed from A New Hope, this film borrowed from both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Much of the film is essentially the First Order chasing down the Resistance (unable to use hyperspace due to the First Order being able to track them in hyperspace) after they evacuate their base while Rey trains with Luke. And we get a big lightsaber battle in Snoke's throne room as the Resistance sets up their counter attack plan (which I see no reason why they didn't let Poe in on this plan given they had no reason not to and unnecessarily caused problems as a result). I felt Snoke really needed some back story to explain where exactly he came from and why he was such a powerful Force user. The Knights of Ren are never mentioned in this film either, and as a result I kinda feel this film somewhat retconned Ben's turn to the dark side.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I hated it, it's the first Star Wars I've hated. If my buddy hadn't been with me, I'd have walked out partway. It's a rudderless mess, there's no meaning to the choices made in it, you can tell everything's arbitrary, a contrarian reaction to the films that came before.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote:I hated it, it's the first Star Wars I've hated. If my buddy hadn't been with me, I'd have walked out partway. It's a rudderless mess, there's no meaning to the choices made in it, you can tell everything's arbitrary, a contrarian reaction to the films that came before.
I still have not seen it. I've been to see every Star Wars movie since the original in 1977, and I just couldn't work up any enthusiasm for this one. I can't say I want to see Han Solo played by someone other than Harrison Ford either.

Now I would probably go see Ewan McGregor play Obi-Wan Kenobi, if that rumored movie is ever made. And Rogue One was better than I thought it would be. But I think they're "over milking the (cash) cow" with Star Wars and going back to the well too many times without anything new to offer.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Yeah. I'd have to say The Last Jedi was easily the worst Star Wars film. While I enjoyed watching it, it's got some major plot problems and the more I've thought about it since seeing it, the more it just falls apart.