Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

Post by Shockwave »

Alright, so I'll have more extensive reviews later, but here's some quick thoughts on Titans Return. Powermaster Prime: I like this figure. I do wish the cap had it's own robot mode, but not having one isn't really a deal breaker for me. Especially since discovering that he's just an extensive remold of Leader Ultra Magnus. The "Helmetmaster" kind of bugs me, but it's also not a deal breaker. Blaster is pretty awesome. I have no complaints with this figure other than the weirdness with the "Helmetmaster" thing. Titan Masters: I have all 8 that have come out so far (all of my BBTS preorders pretty much came in at once) and I would like these better if the vehicles had some sort of robot mode for the head modes to attach to. But, they're not bad and they do provide for more heads to interact with other figures. Fortress Maximus: OMG! This thing is just 100% pure win. I love it. It's a great update to the original figure, actually stands slightly taller than both G1 Fort Max and Generations Metroplex and I was impressed how well they were able to take parts from Metroplex but still make something completely different. The only negative: stickers. Just like Metroplex, there's lots and lots of stickers. Galvatron and Sentinal Prime: Sentinal is the clear winner here, being both stable and not having any sort of helmet or mask. Galvatron is actually pretty awesome. I have no problems with it whatsoever. Until you get to the head. That flip up mask is ridiculous. I had this thing for about 20 minutes before I just cut the mask off of it's hinge and glued it to his headmaster. The mini Megatron can't fit in the cockpit anymore, but at least it looks WAY better in bot mode. And actually has articulation since before with mask flipped up, you can't even turn the head. It's definitely one of those "WTF Hasbro?" moments. But my fix worked and I'm actually pretty happy with it now.

Also, can anyone recommend a good pictures hosting website? I'd like to post pics of these here, but I was using photobucket, but the last time I tried to log on, my computer froze.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I use tinypic for forum images. Seems to work well enough.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:Also, can anyone recommend a good pictures hosting website? I'd like to post pics of these here, but I was using photobucket, but the last time I tried to log on, my computer froze.
www.imgur.com seems to be happy to host pics for whatever reason, and they're super easy to use.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

What is this jibber-jabber about not being able to hide the larger robot faces when the head-bot is in robot mode? (Seriously. The old Headmasters got that much right. All one had to do was flip the face down. The new figures do not allow for this?)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote:What is this jibber-jabber about not being able to hide the larger robot faces when the head-bot is in robot mode? (Seriously. The old Headmasters got that much right. All one had to do was flip the face down. The new figures do not allow for this?)
That is a true story.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:What is this jibber-jabber about not being able to hide the larger robot faces when the head-bot is in robot mode? (Seriously. The old Headmasters got that much right. All one had to do was flip the face down. The new figures do not allow for this?)
These heads are sized for Deluxe-scale figures so they're way smaller than the G1 versions, and have more facial features, less foreheads to flip down. It's a ... choice. :p
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The upside-down face on the back.... Bah.

I am less tempted now.

I saw the wave 1 Scouts yesterday.

Stripes: Looks awful. Adding insult to injury, if Hasbro makes Ravage (or if somebody else make Howlback), it is probably gonna be this mould.

Rewind: Looks interesting. The camera detailing on his head is a nice touch. (I would have preferred Eject. But, Rewind probably makes more sense for obvious reasons.)

Wheelie: Similar in concept to 2014 Scoop or Starscream, in that it is a retro character model given a new figure. The car mode can hold a headmaster.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Titans Return Hardhead and ... Furos? Any reason they couldn't stick with Duros?

Furos - this is the smallest Transformer I've ever seen. It makes the minicons and micromasters look big by comparison. As is typical for a Headmaster, it's pretty much a case of folding or unfolding the legs so that they form the back of the head. His arms move at the shoulders. In a nice touch, he can sit in the cockpit and drive Hardhead in tank mode. It's not quite Armada levels of inter-functionality between smaller and larger robots, but it's still a nice feature. There's a nice amount of detailing for a figure this small. Of course, turn him around and there's Hardhead's face upside down as a backpack, but there's not much that can be done about that.

Hardhead
Tank mode - This is the typical "quad tread" tank we often see with Transformers, though that's being true to the original figure this is modelled after. The vehicle has black treads with a lime green chassis and translucent orange cockpit that opens on the right side, with the detachable gun barrel in light gray on the left. There's some light gray and black detailing on the 'hood" of the chassis. Hardhead's rifle can plug into the top of the tank gun barrel for double firepower. Furos can sit in the cockpit and drive Hardhead around. Three tiny Autobot insignia are visible in this mode.

Flip the tank over, and there's nothing that screams "robot lying on its belly".

Transformation - The four tread housings become arms and legs. The entire underside of the tank un-tabs and swings down to the grill area of the tank to form the legs and feet, while the back of the chassis with the cockpic and cannons folds down to become the backpack. It's nice and simple, with tabs in various places to help both modes stay in place. More gray is revealed, along with some red and yellow accents. Elbows extend for more articulation. Transform Furos into the head and attack, and Hardhead is ready for action. The tank cannon can either sit on his back and point up, or raise up and sit on his shoulders. It elevates and rotates, so he could take on ground and aerial enemies with it.

Robot mode - It seems to me that there is an extra color plastic and a little more paint that I've seen for awhile. Transformers seemed to be going for the cheap approach for awhile with no more than two plastic colors and two paint applications, but counting the translucent orange, I think we've got four plastic colors with Hardhead, and three paints (red, yellow, blue), admittedly all in small amounts, but still. This is a nice looking, detailed figure with a simple transformation and a good deal of movement possible. Great figure, and well worth the purchase.

Images of Hardhead: http://www.tfu.info/2016/Autobot/TRHard ... rdhead.htm

G1 Hardhead for comparison: http://www.tfu.info/1987/Autobot/Hardhead/hardhead.htm
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Saw Scourge and Skullcruncher the other day.

Scourge looks okay. But, the painted detail on his chest is a good example of "paint where there should be moulding". Skullcruncher looks better, the inability to hide the robot face on the Master figure's back still bothers me.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Hardhead with Furos -

Hardhead in robot mode is "fine", nothing's really wrong or right, he's as generic as you can get - arms and legs are transformed treads, torso is main body wrapped over the center. The backpack is the cockpit and the hinged main cannon that can slide out slightly to sit over the shoulder, it too is "fine". The arms are a bit long thanks to an odd way of folding out the forearms, de-transforming them a little or hunching up the shoulders takes care of this. He sports an assault rifle of the most obvious, basic design, with a butt that matches the curve in his chest which is a nice touch. Transformation is pretty basic but not just a repeat of Combiner Wars.

Hardhead in vehicle mode is basically the G1 version but flatter, and that flatness makes it surprisingly fun. The alt mode reminds me heavily of a GI Joe vehicle with its slight sci-fi proportions and slightly unreasonable layout with the cockpit further back and exposed than it outta be. The rear treads have a wheel under each, the front has a wide wheel under the main body instead. The main gun is the full length of the vehicle and can articulate up, you can also lift it up on that armature from robot mode to let it rotate completely. Even cooler, the main gun's rear end opens up to seat a Titan Master as the gunner. The assault rifle can plug into the top of the cannon in a garish, tall manner - the intent being this is the weapon the Titan Master is aiming, but that's silly.

Overall, B for vehicle mode charm.
andersonh1 wrote:Titans Return Hardhead and ... Furos? Any reason they couldn't stick with Duros?
Duros is a Star Wars alien race.

Dominic wrote:Saw Scourge and Skullcruncher the other day.

Scourge looks okay. But, the painted detail on his chest is a good example of "paint where there should be moulding". Skullcruncher looks better, the inability to hide the robot face on the Master figure's back still bothers me.
Scourge's lack of paint has kept me from buying him more than once now, and that thing on his chest looks bad. Skullcruncher I keep seeing everywhere, he's the least popular, and I have no interest in this one.