July Hauls

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: July Hauls

Post by Onslaught Six »

One of my cats died last Friday. I wrote up a sob story that day. She was 18.
http://onslaughtsix.tumblr.com/post/124 ... g-long-sob

Thankfully, plastic started to show up in the mail to make me feel a little better!

-CW Hot Spot, the last piece I needed for Defensor, so I naturally opened up all four of the limbs too and combined them. Quick-fire reviews will be in the thread. I see JT got his from Amazon too--what the fuck was the deal? I preordered this in June for my birthday!
-Universe 1.0 Tankorr and Obsidian. I ALWAYS loved these characters and their backstory, and I always loved the whacked-out colour schemes of Universe 1.0 in general. I love repaints of any kind but getting the "Rotorbolt" Obsidian from the comics--at retail no less!--was huge, and Tankorr's green and yellow is a really cool jungle camo scheme that sorta reminds me of Cybertron Overhaul, only not shit! On top of that, I paid $11 shipped for the pair, which is less than they originally retailed in 2003/04!
-Several GI Joe VAMPs of various makes and models. I am on a quest to make a custom MSV and SAS Panther and need the right parts from each, so it's cost a little bit of money and a lot of time. The end results are going to be fantastic though.
-GI Joe vintage Stinger, because finally. The Stinger is the last real iconic early Cobra vehicle I needed. I would have preferred the 25th version, with its upgraded detailed mould, modern foot pegs and bonus AK47, but it was apparently an online exclusive and now goes for like $50--whack! So, vintage it is. Can't wait to have a good excuse to take it out and tow the Laser Exterminator or something.
-Speaking of, I don't remember if I mentioned I got the 2010 Joe POC Wolfhound, which is...a Snowcat with a different name and a driver with a new head. Apparently I am hell bent on just getting every driver from this era that had unique parts, because I am crazy. Winter is going to be cool though!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dude, sorry to hear about your cat. Losing a pet is never easy, even if you've had them for a long time. Actually, especially then. They're like members of the family. My parents and I still miss the last cat we lost and that was 8 years ago.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Got my car back again after the short caused the new fan to seize, once again driving into Hollywood (this time to see Mad Max Fury Road), but at least the new fuse blew and saved it from turning into a fire. They took 2 days to replace the fan (again) and find the deeper short which caused all the trouble, they treated that as warranty work on the original job and charged me nothing, earning a very loyal customer and a glowing Yelp review.

No new hauls, although I'm very tempted to pick up "Papers Please" for the PC after watching the Pre Rec crew play it for an hour... maybe I better hold off since I still have boring-ass Grim Fandango to finish, then start on Fallout New Vegas. But Grim Fandango was a massive disappointment what with its non-gameplay and middling graphics update, and Fallout New Vegas is a big undertaking rather than a quick game.
Shockwave wrote:Do digital hauls count? Plants vs. Zombies and Gears of War 3 both for the 360. They were both free this month so I figured why not? Both definitely worth downloading, PVZ is downright addicting and Gears of War 3 is interesting and fun. My only two problems with GoW 3 is having multi level stages with no jump button and the taking cover mechanic is a little annoying at times. Also, sometimes it's hard to tell the enemies from your team mates, especially at close range, since everyone is wearing metallic grey armor.
Sure, why not? They're a haul, if you had them on disk they'd certainly be a haul so it's the same.

PVZ was addicting on Android, it doesn't surprise me that it's still addictive on a console, although it must be really hard navigating in later episodes with only a controller.

Onslaught Six wrote:One of my cats died last Friday. I wrote up a sob story that day. She was 18.
http://onslaughtsix.tumblr.com/post/124 ... g-long-sob
Very sorry to hear of your cat passing, especially with that extended decline you detailed. Losing cats seems so much harder than other animals (I've lost 'em all), maybe because of their big personalities and independence causing such a loss when they're gone. Just remember that she lived a long life and cared about you guys.
-CW Hot Spot, the last piece I needed for Defensor, so I naturally opened up all four of the limbs too and combined them. Quick-fire reviews will be in the thread. I see JT got his from Amazon too--what the fuck was the deal? I preordered this in June for my birthday!
That's weird, I literally ordered mine 2 days before I got it, you really got the short end of the stick on that timing.
-Universe 1.0 Tankorr and Obsidian. I ALWAYS loved these characters and their backstory, and I always loved the whacked-out colour schemes of Universe 1.0 in general. I love repaints of any kind but getting the "Rotorbolt" Obsidian from the comics--at retail no less!--was huge, and Tankorr's green and yellow is a really cool jungle camo scheme that sorta reminds me of Cybertron Overhaul, only not shit! On top of that, I paid $11 shipped for the pair, which is less than they originally retailed in 2003/04!
Nice haul! Tankorrrr is too weird for my tastes, but that Obsidian looks great.
-Speaking of, I don't remember if I mentioned I got the 2010 Joe POC Wolfhound, which is...a Snowcat with a different name and a driver with a new head. Apparently I am hell bent on just getting every driver from this era that had unique parts, because I am crazy. Winter is going to be cool though!
Oof, they have taken from the Snowcat well so many times that I'm starting to dislike the mold, and it's one of my favorites! Why not the WOLF?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

People keep saying "there've been too many Snowcats" but, not counting convention exclusives, it's only been used 4 times since its debut in '85. Compared to other high-profile vehicles like the Vamp or the HISS, four uses in 33 years is not that bad, and finding any Snowcat complete for under $20 is a task in and of itself. This one has at least replaced the missile launcher with a more modern one that actually fires missiles though, so that's a cool bonus.

The WOLF actually did come out in last year's 50th line in a two pack with a neat white and blue Skyhawk/Ghost Hawk, but something about that toy's asymmetry bothers me. Maybe I would like it more in person, but photos online don't grab me much.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Onslaught Six wrote:People keep saying "there've been too many Snowcats" but, not counting convention exclusives, it's only been used 4 times since its debut in '85. Compared to other high-profile vehicles like the Vamp or the HISS, four uses in 33 years is not that bad, and finding any Snowcat complete for under $20 is a task in and of itself. This one has at least replaced the missile launcher with a more modern one that actually fires missiles though, so that's a cool bonus.
Snowcat
Tiger Cat
Devastator (Street Fighter subline)
Snow Cat '03
Wolf Hound
HAVOC II

Somehow it feels like there's a lot more, it's not even as many as the SHARC yet it feels way worse.
The WOLF actually did come out in last year's 50th line in a two pack with a neat white and blue Skyhawk/Ghost Hawk, but something about that toy's asymmetry bothers me. Maybe I would like it more in person, but photos online don't grab me much.
I almost bought it before I realized I couldn't justify $50 on a line I no longer collected. I've never owned one in person, but I've always liked the pictures, it looks very Cobra, very different. The fact that it's a wall of missiles and the pilot sits just left of them, yeah it's a dumb idea but it's a dumb idea that looks cool to me.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I didn't really count the Street Fighter vehicle or the HAVOC II since neither are particularly common, so most people aren't going to be seeing tons of them around. But you're right, it is reaching a saturating point, this year's Basilisk repaint is only sorta interesting to me.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ant-Man matinee ticket - not great, but pretty good, watchable and fun. Biggest drawback is the villain feels all over the map, it turns out because they hadn't finished writing the final script so they had him shoot scenes different ways to fit a story they'd craft later in editing. Thus there's a likable version, a maniac version, an evil version, and more.

Robocop Trilogy Blu-Ray - had a $5 cert about to expire at Best Buy, and it was on sale for $20, so yeah. I know I could have gotten just the first film for $10 before the cert, but whatever.

Nail removed from my tire - I had brought the car in to remove this nail 4 months ago and they couldn't find it at the time, since then it developed a slow leak and now they found it, $20 out the door.

Jury summons that I have to appear on or around my birthday. Happy 40th.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Hey guys I bought a toy the other day!

Finally found a Motormaster around here and got Menasor all put together. He's pretty cool, looks fantastic when i can get Blackjack to stay attached. Motormaster himself I like a lot, even if I already had the mold, this version of it is a lot cooler than the Prime variety.

I mean, i still like the Prime pretty well, but dang MM is so keen.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Botcon Burn Out: I like this mould, and I like Diaclone, so I had to get it. It cost me $40 on eBay which is pretty reasonable in an era where Deluxes are approaching $20 at normal retail. (TRU is not really normal retail, mind, but.) Hell, for comparison, AOE Rollbar regularly goes for $25-30, so this isn't that bad. Still want Lift Ticket.

The black and red is beautiful but the grey has a kind of pearly sheen to it that makes it seem cheap. But the paint is good and the QC is solid; I had less problems transforming his shoulders than some other iterations of the toy.

Disappointed in the tech spec/bio, it's pretty weird and crappy, and the fact that Burn Out has a Diaclone driver (named...Dia. Fantastic.) that ISNT INCLUDED WITH THE FUCKING TOY is ridiculous. I know it came with that Sgt. Hound no one wanted, but to hell with that. No reason they couldn't have split up the drivers and packaged them with the guys they were intended to have. Such a dumb decision.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy. Get it while it's cheap!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Mountain of comics from my pull file for the last day of July.

MTMTE 43
TF v Joe 8
Combiner Hunters
TF 43
Windblade 5
Archie v Predator 4 of 4
Batman 66 25
Star Wars Kanan 4

which came with 8 bags & boards, and a 10% off discount.

All that yet I last picked up my pull list on July 3rd!