Combiner Wars

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Almighty Unicron »

Dominic wrote:The problem with cloud storage (essentially the thing you are talking about) is that I do not *own* the copies of the stupid content in question. It can go away at any time if the hosts decide to use the server differently. (Never mind that I do not like the look of that stuff on screen.)
he fucking Aerialbots (THE SINGLE MOST BORING COMBINER TEAM IN THE HISTORY OF THE LINE)
Hold on, wait a second....yeah. Okay.
You could download it onto a hard drive or USB stick. I keep a USB stick with a copy of my first novel and some important photos on my person at all times. If and when computers start upgrading to no longer interface via USB I'll transfer it to another form of portable digital media.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Alright. So I have all of the Stunticons now. Most of them are pretty good. Individually, I like what Hasbro has done with some of them. The first thing I like is that the don't all have the same transformation. Drag Stip's legs telescope. Breakdown's pull out and swivel down. Dead end's open up, rotate, then close back up. Off Road's are just like the Aerialbot legs. They're all different, there's versatility and uniqueness about them, and yet they are all (in theory) interchangable in their place in Menasor. I also like the weapon placements and the versatility shown there. The merge fist/foot on Off Road actually becomes like a sort of campershell on the back pick up part. Breakdown's has engine detailing on it. There's really a lot going on there and they are pretty fun by themselves.

Which is why it's such a shame that merging them together is where it all falls apart. I just tried merging Menasor today. For the severalth time. In a static just standing there pose, he's fine. Move one thing on him or try to pose him at all and he turns into a floppy mess. Most of this stems from my problems with Motormaster and the poorly designed legs. Hasbro really really should have done better on this one. They just don't hold together at all. Seriously, literally every time I try to pose Menasor into something other than standing, that leg bullshit takes over and falls apart. And bear in mind, the problem isn't the limb bots. They do their job as legs fine. It's that loose as shit upper assembly on Motormaster. The flaps that hold Motormaster's Upper and lower legs together do not stay put and then the loose knee and hip joints take over and at that point, the whole thing is top heavy. The only way to stabilize it at that point is if you have six arms. Maybe I'll try tightening up the joints, maybe that will help, I dunno. There are some other minor problems too. Like swapping limbs. The various Stunticons were all obviously meant to be either legs or arms and that's most apparent with Breakdown. There are parts near his shoulders that get in the way of movement if you try to use him as an arm. Off Road has similar restrictions going on in his arm mode. Again, they're not bad if he's just standing there, but you can pretty much forget about movement. But as of right now, I just cannot recommend the completed Menasor as anything other than a shelf piece. The individual Stunticons I highly recommend, even Motormaster by himself isn't that bad.

TL: DR: Get Menasor, just don't merge him.

Superion: Ok, so now that I have the complete set of these guys, I might as well continue my review: I like the Aerialbots. Not as much individually as the Stunticons, but still pretty cool. They do more or less all have the same transformation, and I kind of expected that, but after the diversity seen in the Stunticons, I can't help thinking they could have pushed things with these guys. Having said that, the sculpts and articulation individually are actually pretty decent, but it's as Superion that this set really shines. The colors, and the alt modes all come together to form a single cohesive look. And Superion is sturdy. This guy is a ninja compared to Menasor. I've actually posed him into various poses from Mortal Kombat and Superion can pull of most of them. Powerglide I guess is also technically part of this set as he is designed to mount on top of and become Superion's gun. Of the individual bots, Air Raid is my favorite. There's something about the F-15 that I like, even the Tomcat version from Top Gun which this version emulates. And the diversity of the wings is actually pretty fun. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a set of Decepticon Seekers made from this mold. You can all shoot me for saying that. But, since he always originally turned into the same style F-15 as the Decepticons, I always kind of thought of him as the Autobot Seeker. Anyway, I highly recommend Superion. Both for the individual bots and the merge form. This is combining done right.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Still looking for Airraid.

I am waving on Menasor.

The comics are doing much to diminish my interest in this line. (But, I am one piece away from finishing Superion. The Stunticons are likely to be consolation prizes if I cannot find Airraid and Slingshot.)

You could download it onto a hard drive or USB stick. I keep a USB stick with a copy of my first novel and some important photos on my person at all times. If and when computers start upgrading to no longer interface via USB I'll transfer it to another form of portable digital media.
I prefer hard copies whenever possible. (I have some European comics on a thumb-drive. I even have back-up copies on another. But, I would rather have hard copies, ya know?)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ok, so I tightened Motormaster's legs today. The result is much better, I actually have him in a decent pose now. So... Yeah, I recommend the Stunticons. Menasor should be pretty awesome if you can avoid the QC issues.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:I prefer hard copies whenever possible. (I have some European comics on a thumb-drive. I even have back-up copies on another. But, I would rather have hard copies, ya know?)
Printer.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Screw that.

On a related note, the longer I spend looking for Air-Raid, the more my interest in the line fades.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I picked up 4 of the 5 parts of Superion yesterday. Got to say I'm pretty impressed with the figure so far, although I wish I'd been able to find the last figure to complete his combine form, he looks a little odd missing an arm. But even with out the arm, it's a very solid combiner. Haven't fiddled much with the figures individually yet, but they seem to be pretty solid on their own as well.

Also picked up Blackjack since I understand he's been pretty hard to find. He's got a pretty interesting transformation. Bit more complex than I was expecting for such a small figure.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Screw that.

On a related note, the longer I spend looking for Air-Raid, the more my interest in the line fades.
And you didn't just order the entire Wave 2 set because...???
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I half watched for it on BBTS. But, it sold through.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Even I preordered it on BBTS. If it sold through, it did so recently, as I recall they were still available well after they had arrived.