Combiner Wars

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Re: Even I can't complain about the new Gestalts

Post by Almighty Unicron »

So we know that Prime is retooled from Motormaster (or vice versa) and he's compatible with combiner limbs. Do you think they'd release a set of deluxes to go with Prime? Think we'll get a repaint of Superion as someone else, maybe Starscream?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Almighty Unicron wrote:So we know that Prime is retooled from Motormaster (or vice versa) and he's compatible with combiner limbs. Do you think they'd release a set of deluxes to go with Prime? Think we'll get a repaint of Superion as someone else, maybe Starscream?
Hasbro supposedly hinted at a team of the Stunticons repainted as corresponding Autobots, a la 'Masquerade'. There's also an illustration floating around of Prime combined with some of the limbs that have already been revealed.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

EDIT: Holy crap, I was just looking at the release waves for these on TFW and realized that they're not even releasing the full sets in the same waves!! Wave one will have Silverbolt and 3 other Aerialbots and one Stunticon and then wave 2 will have Motormaster, the other 3 stunticons and the remaining Aerialbot?!?! Fuck. I'm out. There's no way this will ever come together here I'll tell you that right now. I guarantee you that one of those is going to wind up short packed and scalped to hell and then there'll be at least a 6 months to a year turnaround between waves. This is gonna suck. Big time. Game over man, game over!
Nah! These are a wave 1 & 2. If you're lucky, your store might order both at once. Also, they'll probably just ship out a bunch of revision cases later on with extras, or something.

Besides, you could always just preorder the cases from BBTS and save yourself a lot of time and hassle.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Combiner Wars

Post by Dominic »

I like the Superion a little better (if only in robot modes). But, Menasor looks pretty good as well. (I remember, way the hell back at the old BWTF forums, there was a kid who *really* liked Stunticons. He was maybe 10 at the time, and missed out on the originals. I wonder if he is still in the fandom.)

The comic might end up making or breaking these for me though.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:The comic might end up making or breaking these for me though.
Vintage Dom!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

These guys are so much instant skip for me. I'll wait until we get a reveal about an actual set of combining Protectobots.

EDIT: I meant to post this in the Protectobots thread. These guys (Superion and Menasor) both look seriously bad ass.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Here's our up-close photos of these: http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6928-brea ... eview.html

They look pretty good in person, but there was some confusion as to how joints move on it when I was looking up close, and Menasor is wearing a Legends figure as a chest plate.

And here's my overly-wordy write-up on the Transformers panel itself: http://www.actionfigs.com/2014/07/26/sd ... -coverage/
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

I merged the 2 threads.
Almighty Unicron wrote:How big is Menasor compared to Metroplex? I'd love a big ol' decepticon to display with him.
They didn't have a Metroplex there to compare them (they had a G1 Metro on the bar, but that's no help), but based on how I remember them, this set isn't significantly taller than FOC Bruticus.

BWprowl wrote:The other sad part is that the official pics clearly being hand-painted resin prototypes means the actual release of these things is probably still a long ways off.

If this Combiner Wars thing is going to be an ongoing sublineamajig, how much money do I have to throw at Hasbro to hope they get to Monstructor? Liokaiser is also acceptable.
It's the 2015 theme, of course it's a long ways off.

This is the Generations theme for 2015, so it's not impossible, but Monstructor is pretty unlikely given that it's pretenders and monsters. Low concepts on the totem pole, IMO.

Shockwave wrote:EDIT: Holy crap, I was just looking at the release waves for these on TFW and realized that they're not even releasing the full sets in the same waves!! Wave one will have Silverbolt and 3 other Aerialbots and one Stunticon and then wave 2 will have Motormaster, the other 3 stunticons and the remaining Aerialbot?!?! Fuck. I'm out. There's no way this will ever come together here I'll tell you that right now. I guarantee you that one of those is going to wind up short packed and scalped to hell and then there'll be at least a 6 months to a year turnaround between waves. This is gonna suck. Big time. Game over man, game over!
Yeah, when they revealed that, my first thought was that they're doing this to push the idea of buying from another combiner team to complete your figure "now" since they're interchangeable, then when you complete your team in the next wave you'll have more reason to complete the other team as well. If you're interested in the sets, just buy 'em and wait, or go in on cases. I dunno that it's going to be as bad as you suggest though.

Almighty Unicron wrote:So we know that Prime is retooled from Motormaster (or vice versa) and he's compatible with combiner limbs. Do you think they'd release a set of deluxes to go with Prime? Think we'll get a repaint of Superion as someone else, maybe Starscream?
They specifically said that wasn't in the cards. IMO, the design on that OP has always reminded me of Tubbimus Prime from Energon, so I think they're just paying homage to its combiner limbs that didn't have robot modes, here you could just slap any ol' figure onto him.

BWprowl wrote:Hasbro supposedly hinted at a team of the Stunticons repainted as corresponding Autobots, a la 'Masquerade'. There's also an illustration floating around of Prime combined with some of the limbs that have already been revealed.
Where did they hint at that?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

JT wrote:They look pretty good in person, but there was some confusion as to how joints move on it when I was looking up close, and Menasor is wearing a Legends figure as a chest plate.
Weren't the ones on display resin prototypes that had been painted and (badly) hot-glued together? There's a high probability they simply weren't assembled right at the time, they looked pretty derpy in the pics I saw. The 'official' pics, despite also being of prototypes, looked a lot better.

And wasn't Geewun Menasor's chestplate formed from a little car-thing? Turning that into its own Legends figure AND making it an homage to a Micromaster is pretty nifty, in my opinion.
This is the Generations theme for 2015, so it's not impossible, but Monstructor is pretty unlikely given that it's pretenders and monsters. Low concepts on the totem pole, IMO.
Believe me, I know I'm dreaming when I ask for anything related to the Pretender Monsters. On the other hand, we just got a subline full of monsters in Beast Hunters half a year ago, so maybe it's not that long a shot. Though they'd probably take another stab at Abominus before they did Monstructor.

They might at least be able to half-ass a Liokaiser from repaints of any of the various components coming up. Might be more something the Club would do, though.
Yeah, when they revealed that, my first thought was that they're doing this to push the idea of buying from another combiner team to complete your figure "now" since they're interchangeable, then when you complete your team in the next wave you'll have more reason to complete the other team as well. If you're interested in the sets, just buy 'em and wait, or go in on cases. I dunno that it's going to be as bad as you suggest though.
I know that was done a fair bit with the Enercombiners, since they had similarly-staggered, hard-to-find-'em-all release schedule. Them promoting the scrambling aspect so heavily might tie into this (despite that being one reason I tend to dislike Scramble City-style Combiners; what makes Menasor a distinct entity unto himself if all he 'really' is is Motormaster in a third mode with four random limbs slapped on?). Like a lot of people we've already seen, I'm probably just going in for solid cases on this.
They specifically said that wasn't in the cards. IMO, the design on that OP has always reminded me of Tubbimus Prime from Energon, so I think they're just paying homage to its combiner limbs that didn't have robot modes, here you could just slap any ol' figure onto him.
It doesn't look too much like EnerPrime to me, proportions aside (and hell, I liked the proportions on Fatimus more than this thing). Really, between the transformation scheme and its ability to combine with STUFF, I'm rather worried Hasbro might try to pass this off as a Powermaster Prime/Ginrai homage. Really though, it's more likely that Optimus was just who they went with as the obligatory redeco/retool of the new Motormaster mold (whom it looks so much better as it's not even funny).
BWprowl wrote:Hasbro supposedly hinted at a team of the Stunticons repainted as corresponding Autobots, a la 'Masquerade'. There's also an illustration floating around of Prime combined with some of the limbs that have already been revealed.
Where did they hint at that?
There's a reason I said 'supposedly hinted', I was getting this stuff third-hand through message board posts. Swear I saw something about it on TFW or something though, might check when I get home. Stands to reason that they have to repaint these new molds as 'something' though, and Optimus is 1/5 of the way there already. Though the new-guy SUV and helicopter hint to me that Hasbro might be hedging their bets at reusing some molds to fill out future Combaticon and Protectobot lineups.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

It was reported over on TFW by someone who was there that one of the designers made a remark referrencing the G1 Episode "Masquerade", which in turn now leads us to speculate on an Autobot version of Menasor. I honestly wouldn't put it past them, especially after they recolored Bruticus into the Wreckers.