Botcon 2014 discussion - Pirates vs Knights

Ancillary, non-main-line stuff. Star Wars TF, Speed Stars, Titanium Series, Robot Heroes, that sort of thing. They're kinda neat, but we all know they're not really that important. Admit it, you know it's true.
andersonh1

Re: BotCon 2014 discussion/speculation

Post by andersonh1 »

I'm not terribly offended by the theme or anything, but I have to say, it sounds like they were really struggling for a theme if "Pirates vs. Knights" was what they came up with. :lol:

Still, the figures could be interesting, and one or two good ones might come out of this.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: BotCon 2014 discussion/speculation

Post by Dominic »

I am not sure that "Pirates v/s Knights" is appreciably worse than any other year's theme. It is bound to be better than "Shattered Glass" and more memorable than "Wings of Honor". (Lewis, Zab and I would often forget the '09 set. This was especially funny because Lewis bought every toy from that set and Zab had several of them.)

Any word on where this years' comic is set? Is it "Alligned", UT or "Wings"?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Botcon 2014 theme

Post by JediTricks »

So it's actually pirates vs knights, eh? That's what I've heard. Kind of... odd.
Sparky Prime wrote:Someone at Hasbro must really like that concept of pirate Transformers. It's a theme that seems to keep showing up in the background ever since Cannonball was first introduced with the Cybertron toyline. Interesting that they're finally giving it the spotlight at Botcon. And speaking of Cybertron Cannonball, kinda surprised they're using his pirate symbol on the promotional image rather than Thundertron's. Certainly makes me wonder what continuity this might be set in. Wouldn't mind seeing a revisit to the AEC universe.
Yeah, they are pirate-happy, and honestly, it's not a bad fit, it's factionless and it has a simply-defined goal for the group and it's recognizable. The problem seems to be execution, there was nothing piratey about Thundertron aside from the peg leg and sword. But it's worth working out, seeing if it'll fit.

As for continuity...
Dominic wrote:It might have possibilities. (And, after last year's comic. It might actually be...good.)

On a semi-related note, we should probably move this thread to the
"other" forum.
I'm going to leave it in the general discussion section until we know what continuity it's going to be in, then I'll move it.

You liked the comic, eh?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The 2013 comic was actually....readable. For Fun Publications, it was excellent. (Wittenrich and Burcham are clearly just starting out. But, Wittenrich has grown in recent years. And, Burcham may well go the distance.)

As for the BotCon theme and where we discuss it:

All BotCon sets and Fun Publications exclusives, regardless of theme/concept or nominal setting are part of "Timelines", as much as the comic packs are part of "Generations".

We have always discussed "Timelines" in the "Other" forum by virtue of the fact that it is a tertiary line.

-"Shattered Glass" relates to Marvel G1, but we post about it in "Other".
-"Wings of Honor" is nominally a follow up to the G1 cartoon. But, we discuss it in "Other".
-the"Classics" comic was set in context with Marvel G1. But, guess where we posted about it?

Hence, this thread should be moved to the "Other" forum.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, I see.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Re: Botcon 2014 discussion - Pirates vs Knights

Post by Tigermegatron »

These Botcon themed sets get worse & worse ever passing year. It just seems like TFCC gets all caught up in there fiction & its now taking priority over the toys.

I just don't feel comfortable spending Five to Six times the normal USA Retail store prices for these Botcon repaints. In most cases,I have a hard time justying spending normal retail prices for these Hasblo TF toy molds. If I had the money,I'd rather buy 3rd party not-TF toys instead. At least here,I am getting a new mold & not a glorified repaint for four to five times the USA retail store price.

I don't support those to make a living off scalping TF toys. I'd rather do without then pay these guys any of my money. These Botcon scalpers are the worse of the Scalpers lot.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

These Botcon themed sets get worse & worse ever passing year. It just seems like TFCC gets all caught up in there fiction & its now taking priority over the toys.

I just don't feel comfortable spending Five to Six times the normal USA Retail store prices for these Botcon repaints. In most cases,I have a hard time justifying spending normal retail prices for these Hasbro TF toy molds. If I had the money,I'd rather buy 3rd party not-TF toys instead. At least here,I am getting a new mold & not a glorified repaint for four to five times the USA retail store price.

I don't support those who make a living off of scalping TF toys. I'd rather do without then pay these guys any of my money. These Botcon scalpers are the worse of the Scalpers lot.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:The problem seems to be execution, there was nothing piratey about Thundertron aside from the peg leg and sword. But it's worth working out, seeing if it'll fit.
Nothing piratey aside from a peg leg and sword? What about his head-crest design that is clearly modeled after a pirate captains hat, and the blackbeard-esk beard? The only thing that could make him look more piratey would be a parrot on his shoulder and an eye patch.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Sparky Prime wrote:
JediTricks wrote:The problem seems to be execution, there was nothing piratey about Thundertron aside from the peg leg and sword. But it's worth working out, seeing if it'll fit.
Nothing piratey aside from a peg leg and sword? What about his head-crest design that is clearly modeled after a pirate captains hat, and the blackbeard-esk beard? The only thing that could make him look more piratey would be a parrot on his shoulder and an eye patch.
The toy also had those blue side flaps attached to the robot waist plate & blue thing attached to its butt. The blue stuff was suspose to represent some sort of Pirates captain blue long jacket.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Botcon has revealed more Pirates. Former members of the Decepticons Squadron X: Ferak and Tornado, repaints of Universe Cyclonus and Nightstick.

Paint job kinda reminds me of Shattered Glass Starscream...