work stories

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: work stories

Post by Dominic »

They liked you so much they put you in electronics. Remember that?

I still remember when you decided that you did not like being on the register any more.

You explained to them, (and re-iterated to me right in front of at least one supervisor), how it work.

Every 5 minutes you spent on a register was 1 minute early that you would stop working during the clean up hour at the end of the night....while you would still be clocked in. You made it sound like a credit card commercial. "...it is just that simple."

Or, how about the time that we decided that we were going to take a walk down to TrU on our lunch breaks (that we took when we damned well pleased) to look for new BW figures and when the supervisor asked where we were going, I explained that we were going on lunch and asked if they wanted to argue about it.

Dom
-and those are just a few of the stories about us specifically.
annhell
Ultra

Post by annhell »

You guys make me love my job so much more.And I'm working in a government office.

That says a lot.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I could start telling stories from my work and make all you guys love your jobs more if y'all want. Overall, my job's awesome, but since rather a lot of the people I work with have bowel or bladder control problems...aw yeah.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

annhell wrote:You guys make me love my job so much more.And I'm working in a government office.

That says a lot.
Thankfully not only have neither of us worked for that company for a long time now, but it also went under years ago, so nobody will ever have to work for it again.

Once we passed the empty, hollowed out shell of the former building, and Dom had to convince me not to burn it down and salt the earth as cursed ground.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Truth.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

138 Scourge wrote:I could start telling stories from my work and make all you guys love your jobs more if y'all want. Overall, my job's awesome, but since rather a lot of the people I work with have bowel or bladder control problems...aw yeah.
My roommate does assisted living stuff, so I already get to hear about all that kind of stuff. Good times.
Mirage
Gestalt Combiner

Post by Mirage »

Well, I worked in the electronics department at a major retailer for a couple of years as well. No REAL horror stories, though I did manage to drop a 25" TV off the riser and onto my head one day. Fortunately, it was a boxed model so the packaging absorbed most of the impact. Had a headache (duh) and some minor spine compression pain for the rest of the day, but was otherwise unscathed.

And one time, on a Saturday afternoon of all times, I accidentally showed Terry Farrell's (Jadzia Dax from DS9) boobs to a department full of shoppers. This was WAY back before they had the canned programming on all the TV's, and had ACTUAL programming from Direct TV because they were selling it. Well, for some reason they had all the premium channels as well, and either on HBO or Cinemax or something, there was a movie with Terry in her pre-DS9 days. I was flipping through trying to find something to put on, and caught a glimpse of her (still fully clothed at the time). I was only vaguely interested, and probably couldn't tell you what the hell the movie was about. I wasn't even 100% sure it was her at first, and I think I only parked there for a moment to figure out if it was. Anyway, the department started getting busy, being Saturday and all, so I left it on and headed to the register. I came back a short while later to find a crowd of dudes staring at the wall of TV's. And why else, but to take in the spectacle of a very naked Terry Farrell banging some guy in a lake? Well, I quickly made for the remote and changed it to something-- anything-- else. The guys shook their heads, as if emerging from a trance, and wandered away, and I waited for the negative reprecussions. Fortunately, none ever came, but you can be damn sure I was pretty careful from that point on.

Oh and I had a couple of irate customers, but I shrugged them off pretty easily. I was stuck behind the register once waiting for a customer service manager to come count the drawer or something. There were only a couple of people in the department, anyway. So when my friend walked in I had no reservations about chatting with him while I waited. After a moment I realize there's some guy with a mullet and a handlebar moustache staring at me from about 15 feet away. I apparently was supposed to notice him before that, because his first words to me were angrily snarling that my friend and I could have our "little family reunion" later, because he needed some help. Well, he wasn't about to get any at that point. After a moment of stunned silence, I calmly explained to him that I couldn't leave the register and that I would help him as soon as I could. So I started talking to my friend again. The guy stared daggers at us for a few more minutes, then stomped away. And another day, I slid behind the register with a couple of people already waiting. They weren't in line, so I figured I had a 50/50 shot of helping the right one first. Of course, in hindsight I should have just asked, but oh well. I turned to one person and started to check them out. The other guy literally hurled his would-be purchase at me in disgust (just a small electronics component like a coax plug or something) and stomped away.
I disappear.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Mirage wrote:The other guy literally hurled his would-be purchase at me in disgust (just a small electronics component like a coax plug or something) and stomped away.
People are classy.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

If you threw it back, it would have been a "sales pitch"! Get it? Eh? Eh?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

My current job is actually not bad at all. Good people, professional for the most part, with some flaring of tempers and personality conflict from time to time. I'm a graphic designer working in the marketing department, and generally enjoy the job, though some of the projects are tedious and dull at this point.

I've had past jobs with more colorful characters. I worked for a sign shop for about 7 and a half years, and we couldn't keep good help, or even bad help sometimes. One guy in particular I remember got hired, and did ok for a while. He then started taking longer and longer lunch hours and coming back stoned on occasion. Finally got himself fired, but the annoying thing was, he kept getting re-hired. Three more times! Each time, a similar pattern of behavior would repeat itself. The last time I finally complained to the owner, and his answer was "better the devil you know than the one you don't."