Megatron Was Right...

"What? Transformers made from animals instead of vehicles and stuff? Doesn't sound so great, throw it to Kenner division, maybe they can make a quick buck or something."
Beast Wars, Machine Wars, Beast Machines... seeing a pattern? Coming soon: "Wars Wars"
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Megatron Was Right...

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:Because it's easier...
Easier? How would it be easier?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

O WOW GUYS CHECK OUT THIS FROOT I JUST FOUND ITS LIKE TOTALLY BETTER THAN ENERGON.

I never liked arguing with you, Sparky, mostly because sometimes it feels like you don't have a proper grasp on the facts. It's why I'm going to bow out of this one now.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Sparky Prime wrote:

Think real world agriculture. I think that is where BWP was going with this.

Dom
-watching this thread carefully.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Onslaught Six wrote:I never liked arguing with you, Sparky, mostly because sometimes it feels like you don't have a proper grasp on the facts.
WTF?! That has to be one of the most absurd things anyone has ever said to me. I don't go into an argument unless I have a "proper grasp" of what I'm talking about. And when it comes to Transformers, I know what I'm talking about.
Dominic wrote:Think real world agriculture. I think that is where BWP was going with this.
Well with agriculture, you have to take into consideration the conditions of the land, planting time, environment, lighting, watering, fertilizer, crop rotations, harvest time... It's a bit of a complex process and I'd have to say I think harvesting solar power or hydro power would be a great deal easier. Plus it's something the Maximals really don't have experience with. With out Botanica's help, their plants would have died.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Hrmm, I dunno. Consider the logistics of real-world agriculture and the time, planning, and maintenance it takes to get a good harvest vs. the very many examples of any form of energy being able to fill up an energon cube. Of course, come beast-era, they may need to refine energon considerably more, what with the raw crystals putting them in stasis lock and such. Still, there's far more precedent for cybertronian technology adapting to energy havesting with ease - after all, they did manage to drain Cybertron of its natural energy sources in G1.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:
Sparky Prime wrote:

Think real world agriculture. I think that is where BWP was going with this.

Dom
-watching this thread carefully.
My main point was that, instead of "Send out a bunch of scouting ships to scour other planets WAY out there for other forms of energy that might be there, while we experiment with stuff like solar and nuclear power back here on the planet" and all that other complicated crap that Sparky was going on about, it would be WAY easier to just go "Okay, let's just change the whole planet so that everyone on it is pretty much self-sustaining." *POOF-DONE!*
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

BWprowl wrote:My main point was that, instead of "Send out a bunch of scouting ships to scour other planets WAY out there for other forms of energy that might be there, while we experiment with stuff like solar and nuclear power back here on the planet" and all that other complicated crap that Sparky was going on about, it would be WAY easier to just go "Okay, let's just change the whole planet so that everyone on it is pretty much self-sustaining." *POOF-DONE!*
Solar and hydro energy are both clean, renewable sources of energy. While designing Autobot city for TFTM, it was mentioned it was supposed to have things like a hydro-electric dam as a means of producing energon cubes. If the Autobots had such technology then it would not have been new or experimental by the Beast Era. With such technology, Cybertron pretty much already would be self-sustaining. Add on top of that, the population of the planet had downsized by the Beast Era to smaller, more energy efficient bodies suggesting the Maximals/Predacons had learned from their ancestors power consumption mistakes. Not to mention these technologies are not nearly as complicated to implement as reformatting the entire planet and learning about agriculture in order to provide crops for the entire planet.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Post by Mako Crab »

"POOF! DONE!" sounds better though. :D
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I suppose if agriculture was the way they were going about it, it would be quite the change, but if it instead did just make each individual TF self-sufficient and able to regenerate their own energy supplies, it'd work out reasonably well.

I'll call this as BM's biggest failing. For all its waxings on the importance of balance and the seeds of the future, it never once told us 'why'.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

And I agree muchly with that, but a lot of BM was about the journey and not the destination, in a sense.

I mean, I'm sure they *could* have fit in all that stuff about why, and gotten into the ins and outs of that, but then there'd probably have been no room for all those kickass Vehicon fight scenes, and interaction between the generals, and stuff like that. Plus, it probably wouldn't have made for a very entertaining and marketable series.

In a sense, in fact, BM was pretty much constantly trying to balance out these two sides of itself--you've got the actionny bits and kickass character development bits on the one end, and then you've got the epic philosophical debate on the other, and it's constantly trying to figure out which side it wants to go with. Thankfully (?) it leans towards the action and plot side moreso, and ends up really kickass for it.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.