New Kup

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

New Kup

Post by Sparky Prime »

Via Amazon Japan, TFW2005 has posted the first images of the upcoming Kup figure (among new images of of other upcoming releases). Check it out:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... up-170734/

Really liking what's coming from the Generations line. These figures look great!
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Re: New Kup

Post by Onslaught Six »

Keep in mind, this appears to be the Japanese releases--look at Straxus. (Gotta say, I'm not digging what they did to him, too.)

Kup looks...I dare say, cool. At first I was like, "No, too bulky," but then you gotta figure--Kup's made from outdated technology, a time when robots weren't so streamlined and simple. If Hot Rod's a new iMac, Kup is an IBM mainframe from the 70s. Plus, he's probably huge for whoever's the redeco. (Now that's interesting...) Also, his articulation is 'fresh out the box.' I hope his wheels can be positioned differently on his shoulders (they look like they can) but I won't be heartbroken if they can't.

Is this the first we've seen of Jazz's speaker-deploying gimmick? I dig it, they look like big shoulder cannons.

Do Not like Takara's Lugnut--although I do hope that is different, and Hasbro's retains the lighter green I was expecting. Also, he has awesome teeth paint on his vehicle mode! Sweet!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Jazz's vehicle mode looks....oddly TFA style.

Not a huge fan of Kup as an Earth truck, but it does not look bad.

Either way, I am in.

Dom
-this is gonna get expensive.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Tell me about it. I want literally every figure there.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Same here, Shitpeic- I mean Kup, looks awesome as does everything else. I also heard it confirmed that Wheeljack is going to be a repaint (possible head remold) of Tracks.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Dominic wrote:Not a huge fan of Kup as an Earth truck, but it does not look bad.
Dude, Kup was always an Earth truck.

I'm liking it. Especially that after years of his weapon being referred to as a 'musket', it finally looks like a musket! I'ma have to see about making a cy-gar for him.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I've been wanting a new Kup figure for a long time, so this is good news. All of these upcoming Generations figures look great.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:Same here, Shitpeic- I mean Kup, looks awesome as does everything else. I also heard it confirmed that Wheeljack is going to be a repaint (possible head remold) of Tracks.
Possible head remould? He 'better' have a head remould, because Hasbro will be *crucified* if he doesn't. Literally, we will hang them on crosses and shove spears into them. You don't *do* that. Wheeljack's head is arguably 'the' most distinctive part of his design, the next being his paint scheme, roof chest (not a problem as Tracks already has that going on, even if I think it's a fake one) and front-of-car-becomes-legs thing Sunstreaker also had (and lost in the transition, sadly). And 86 has already pointed to me that Tracks' waist clearly turns, so it's entirely possible that it's going to flip around for Wheeljack (kind of in a reverse Sideswipe/Sunstreaker way.) even if Hasbro themselves don't do that.

But seriously--if they try to release a Wheeljack with Tracks' head, people will be 'pissed,' and I would hope Hasbro would have enough sense that if it's not in the budget to do Wheeljack right, they won't do him at all, and they'll substitute another repaint in. (I'd be fine with a red Tracks named Swerve, or even a black one after the famous Black Tracks. I'd even almost be okay with a Movie Sideswipe homage, if they came up with a better name.)
BWprowl wrote:
Dominic wrote:Not a huge fan of Kup as an Earth truck, but it does not look bad.
Dude, Kup was always an Earth truck.
And now we come into the most heated debate of the 1986 movie designs (well, maybe not really): What the hell are they, anyway? Cybertronian vehicles? Earth vehicles in 2005? Both? (the latter implying that Cybertronian designs have influenced modern human popular design to the point where the differences between the two are negligible.)

I've always been of the opinion that they were Cybertronian designs, too. I mean, look at the guys that 'follow' them. Nobody in the line post-86 is quite a realistic vehicle, they all have embellishments that imply they're of Cybertronian origin. Although it's possible that, since the line was still taking place in the 2000s, it's the third point--Earth car designs have been influenced by Cybertronian designs, and vice versa, over the last 20 years that the differences between the two are almost impossible to distinguish. (I think half the problem with this is that we never really see non-TF cars in the third season.)

Actually, my assumption that the 87-and-on line was supposed to take place in 2007 and on might be a little hasty--surely The Rebirth places it there, but the actual line gives us Targetmaster Hot Rod and co. 'Hot Rod.' This could mean that at one point the line was meant to "revert back" to 1986, showing Hot Rod and Kup and Blurr's misadventures on current-day Earth, twenty years before the animated film. Of course, then you have guys like Cyclonus and Scourge (clearly Movie in absolute origin) that throw a wrench into that. I'm just gonna say that Hasbro didn't give a damn when the line took place after the movie.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I agree about Wheeljack. A head swap would be the minimum I would accept. (The character arguably deserves a unique mould. And, there would be market support for it.)

As for Kup, it is not that he looks like a more or less contemporary Earth truck, (rather future/space truck or whatever), it is that the figure does not look like the character from AHM or Spotlight. (It does not bother me as much with Blurr, as that toy at least looks like the current comic.)

I always figured Kup and Hotrod were "then modern" Earth vehicles, with Hotrod being a deliberate throwback, along the lines of those weird coup cars today, or wood panels on the sides of cars back in the 70s and 80s. O6 has the most honest (and probably accurate) answer about this.

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Looking at Tracks again, especially taking the waist turn idea into account (He looks like he has similar legs to Alternators Sideswipe--very amusing considering that toy was going to be Tracks) there's really nothing particularly un-Wheeljacky about it.

EDIT: Problem solved.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... zy-170740/

Perfect. They even went beyond and put in a new front end.

Rumble looks alright.

Also, sweet new pics of Prime and Scourge:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-new ... me-170741/