Movies are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Movies are awesome

Post by Shockwave »

Some of my all time faves are Usual Suspects, When Harry Met Sally, the Star Wars movies, Lord of the Rings, the Harry Potter movies...

And I'm gonna stop there for now. I worked at Blockbuster for 4 1/2 years so this list could get REALLY long.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: Movies are awesome

Post by 138 Scourge »

Hah! This is how Dr. Frankenstein felt...

Anyhow, I was just thinking that I'm so in for seeing "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" because I love Wes Anderson movies and movies that use puppets and/or stop-motion animation. So combine the two, throw in Roald Dahl? Yeah, I'll be watching that.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

138 Scourge wrote:Hah! This is how Dr. Frankenstein felt...

Anyhow, I was just thinking that I'm so in for seeing "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" because I love Wes Anderson movies and movies that use puppets and/or stop-motion animation. So combine the two, throw in Roald Dahl? Yeah, I'll be watching that.
Oh hell yes, me too. All those things, plus I'm a gigantic sucker for George Clooney. This movie looks completely cracked-out awesome, and since I'm not doing Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving, I might just go to this instead.

Anyway, I recently borrowed all the DCAU Batman movies from this *awesome* girl who I met at a barbecue I threw. Best one was Return of the Joker. Holy cripes. And then I found out there was an uncut version, so I downloaded and watched that too. I'm...kinda glad I didn't catch this movie when I was a kid, there's some serious nightmare fuel present here. Still awesome though.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

What, really, Prowl, you never saw Return of the Joker? It's awesome. And it reminds me of why I liked Batman Beyond in the first place.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:What, really, Prowl, you never saw Return of the Joker? It's awesome. And it reminds me of why I liked Batman Beyond in the first place.
Oh believe me, I get it *now*. I caught quite a bit of Batman Beyond when I was a kid, but I wasn't super-into Batman and DC then like I am now, so I didn't pay it a lot of mind. So getting to watch ROTJ now was a real treat, even if some of it still comes off as mildly disturbing, even to a guy in his twenties. Joker-Tim, *shudder*...
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Favorite movies... hmm...

I like movies related to TV shows I enjoy, such as the Star Trek movies. I enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies, but gripe whenever I watch them because too much is different from the books, so that's an odd viewing experience. I like all the Star Wars movies, even the prequels which a lot of people bash, like the Phantom Menace. I like the Jurassic Park series.

If I really had to nail down some all time favorites, the following would qualify:
- It's a Wonderful Life
- The Man who shot Liberty Valance
- Oklahoma
- Planet of the Apes (the original with Charlton Heston)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Hoosiers (a great basketball movie with Gene Hackman)
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

andersonh1 wrote:- Oklahoma
Oh hey musicals! Paint your wagon, Fiddler on the Roof are 2 of my all time faves.

And if it ever come back to our theater in the round, I am SO going to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The musical version of Scrooge with Albert Finney. "I Hate People" is easily one of the greatest songs of all time.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:
andersonh1 wrote:- Oklahoma
Oh hey musicals! Paint your wagon, Fiddler on the Roof are 2 of my all time faves.

And if it ever come back to our theater in the round, I am SO going to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. The musical version of Scrooge with Albert Finney. "I Hate People" is easily one of the greatest songs of all time.
Fiddler on the Roof is pretty good too, I agree, and really funny. A lot of those old musicals are really enjoyable. My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music are two more that I really enjoy watching.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

When it comes to musicals, I'm completely nuts for Little Shop of Horrors. I watched that thing enough when I was a kid that I can still sing most of the songs from memory. Especially the sadist dentist and murderous plants' songs.

I also loooove West Side Story and Sweeny Todd.

My very favorite kinds of movies are the low-budget horror/sci-fi/but especially horror gems that used to show up on the late shows on network TV, and later the magic finds of late-night cable. I've said it before, my favorite movie ever is this obscure lil' 80's masterpiece called "Blood Diner", in which the hip local vegetarian health-food diner serves human flesh. Get people used enough to tofu, anything seems better, y'know?

And even though (or maybe because) they're repetitive, essentially plotless, and completely devoid of redeeming content, I love some Friday the 13th movies. And by some, I mean all of 'em. Even Jason X? Especially Jason X. Cyborg space slasher? Yes, please. Sure, they're stupid and pointless, but so are McDonalds burgers, and I still enjoy one of those from time to time.

I mean, other than that, Sling Blade, It's a Wonderful Life, TRON, King Kong (original and Jackson versions) Godzilla movies, Kung-Fu Hustle, Rushmore, Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and some other stuff here and there.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

If you like horribly bad scifi/horror movies: Evil Alien Conquerors! There's even a horribly bad theme! In all fairness that one is deliberately bad.