TV shows are awesome

A general discussion forum, plus hauls and silly games.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

TV shows are awesome

Post by Shockwave »

Alright, there's one for comics and one for video games, we might as well start threads for the other forms of media too. Thank you to Scourge for coming up with the title of these threads.

I think we all know how these work at this point, it's the thread for all things TV. I'm partial to 24, Medium, Project Runway, Family Guy, Futurama, just about anything on adult swim really.

DISCUSS!!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: TV shows are awesome

Post by Sparky Prime »

I've kinda been cutting back on TV lately... But the shows I watch include: Family Guy, Venture Bros., Stargate Universe, Bones, Grey's Anatomy.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Sorta given up on TV myself, didn't even bother to get the converter box for when they all went digital. Turns out, I just don't care. I can watch any TV I need off of the internets anyway, amirite?

The girlfriend, however, she loves some television. At least she mostly watches good stuff. She got me into "Fringe", I like that one pretty well. She seems to enjoy the "Law and Order" shows, and interesting documentaries about crazy ancient books and terrifying medical conditions.

As for what I'll watch on the computer here? Tales from the Crypt, House, Scrubs, and, of course, my favorite show ever, Doctor Who. Just got the girl into the older episodes of that, too, starting with "Seeds of Doom". Tomorrow, we move on to "The Happiness Patrol"!
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

About the only thing I've been keeping up with is The Venture Bros. God damn it's still the best thing on TV. I need to see if the latest episode is available for download...
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I rarely watch TV these days. That's not to say I don't enjoy TV shows, but I like to get the DVDs and watch them. That frees me both from commericals and from having to watch at a certain time.

So what are my favorites? All the various Star Trek series of course, particularly DS9 and Voyager. Doctor Who is my all time favorite. I've been in the mood for classic sitcoms lately as well, especially since I need something reasonably clean to watch with the kids around, so I started watching the old Happy Days episodes. They weren't nearly as funny as I remembered. I did like Laverne and Shirley quite a bit though. Never seen any of those before. And I have a fondness for the Waltons, though after awhile every episode just seems to have the same plot, and I got bored with actually watching the show. Still love the theme music though.

I've seen the first three seasons of the new Battlestar Galactica. I'm not quite as enthused about the show as I was when I first started watching it, but I'd like to see the last season and see how everything finishes up. Yeah, that particular series gets watched in the evening after the kids are in bed. You know where I've been getting most of these DVDs? The library, of all places. They have a pretty decent selection of movies and TV shows. I recently re-watched all seven seasons of TNG just checking the series out of the library one disk at a time.

Yeah, weird mix of TV viewing, I know. :mrgreen:
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dr. Who rocks. I'm really a Johnny-come-lately to it, didn't really get into it until after the new series started. I have seen the Key to Time story though.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Shockwave wrote:Dr. Who rocks. I'm really a Johnny-come-lately to it, didn't really get into it until after the new series started. I have seen the Key to Time story though.
I'm glad to hear that the new series is generating some interest in the original show. I thought it would. I suspect that's one of the reasons that the original series DVDs get the excellent restoration work they do.

Check out some episodes from Tom Baker's first three seasons. In a lot of ways, those were the high point of the original run, in my view.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Well actually it was my best friend that got me into it. He's a HUGE Who fan. But it was the new series that he started me on and then we watched some of the Tom Baker stuff.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I like lots of old stuff. New TV is generally crap. And I don't watch most of these cruddy sci-fi drama shows because they always just look so 'crappy.' The budget for the special effects is usually ass so they look stupid and I don't bother to watch them.

Metalocalypse, however, is fucking awesome and the best show that exists right now. And so is Venture Bros. even though I've gotta watch the rest of this season so far. But Metalocalypse! Man I forgot I didn't even watch this week's ep yet.

Oh, and South Park is still great after all these years.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I do love me some Metalocalypse, but I'd put it behind Robot Chicken and Family Guy for the best show currently in production. Not to mention Futurama is about to return so that'll be fun. But yeah, I more or less gotta agree with you, Metalocalypse is all kinds of win.