RTS Deepdive and Lugnut

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

RTS Deepdive and Lugnut

Post by Dominic »

RTS is vaguely defined enough that reviews for the toys could go in either the movie or the TFU forums.

In any case, the "if you see it" qualification applies to both figures.

Deepdive (robot/boat):
Deepdive is a recolour of "Hunt for the Decepticons" Seaspray. I do not have a Seaspray. However, I am fairly certain that the colour swaps are straightforward and involve a turn of the colour wheel. (I might be wrong, but not by much.) This mould has been praised by no small number of fans. Over all, Deepdive is a pretty solid toy.

The boat mode has a flat-bed large enough to hold most Scout figures or a fair number of Deluxe figures. There are even Voyager class figures that one could fit on that space, if only in robot mode. The back ramp does not fold all the way up to form a gate on the boat's aft. However, it does fold up enough to add to the flat bed. The boat mode is armed with harpoon guns that do not have to be removed during the transform to end up on the robot's arms.

The robot mode is designed in the ambiguous "not quite movie" style that became more common not long after RotF. "Reveal the Shield" is generally seen as "not-movie". But, a case does exist for arguing that Deepdive is a movie toy based on the moulding.

Deepdive is also notable for being a new character.

Grade: A/B A solidly designed and executed figure. Definltely worth picking up, if not going crazy to find.

Lugnut (robot/bomber):
Lugnut is one of several new characters introduced over the last few years that the fandom has latched on to enough to warrant toys based on multiple (if idiomatic) iterations of said character.

Lugnut's airplane mode is a retro-styled bomber. While not scaled well to other Decepticons, Lugnut is well scaled for being played/fiddled with. And, considering the toy's price point, the toy's size is fairly impressive. The transformation from plane to 'bot and back is very complex. It is not quite as bad as some "Alternator" figures, but it comes close.

The robot mode is an odd mix of Bayformer and CHUG aesthetics, Figuring out where one ends and the other begins is further complicated by Lugnut's unconventional robot mode. This figure would fit in equally well on either a Bayformer or a CHUG shelf.

Grade: A/B
I hate to say it. But, making allowances for a very complex transformation, Lugnut is a pretty good toy. I cannot recommend looking for one, as that it likely to make you crazy. But, it is definitely worth looking for. (I really wanted to say "it sucks" and just save everybody a whole lot of trouble looking for the toy. But, I ain't gonna lie to ya.)

And, now for what you are really reading this post for........movie style bios for the characters. (The character bios as they are presented in RTS are not always terribly helpful in determining where a character fits in.)

Deepdive:
For the last few years, most of the Autobots have been aggressively hunting for the Decepticons. One exception to this is Deepdive. It is not that Deepdive lacks the courage or devotion of the other Autobots. In fact, there is nothing Deepdive would like to do more than put a round between a Decepticon's eyes. Unfortunately, Deepdive is typically deployed on, (or under), the water. Most Decepticons keep to the air or land. This is a source of some frustration for Deepdive who often spends time drifing along on the ocean's surface, pondering his place in the ongoing war between the Autobots and Decepticons. The other Autobots understand Deepdive's frustrations and try make him feel involved in their efforts. They often task him with disposing of Decepticon wrecks. Deepdive gets little satisfaction from the work, but deeply appreciates his fellow Autobots' consideration for his feeling. What Deepdive does not know is that the cyclopean Decepticon warrior Lugnut is on the prowl over the ocean. Deepdive will soon have a chance to be more directly invovled in the Hunt for the Decepticons.

Lugnut:
It has been a rough couple of years for the Decepticons, and Megatron needs all the help he can get. Lugnut wants to offer Megatron all of the help he can. Lugnut is big, strong and loaded with fire power. As much as the Autobots are Hunting for the Decepticons, they have thus far managed to avoid Lugnut. Lugnut has been eager to find an Autobot and wreck vengeance upon them. He intends to come in low, giving the Autobot plenty of warning, before transforming and staring his foe down with a single crimson eye. He detects a lone Autobot, Deepdive, drifting in a remote part of Earth's oceans. He lowers his altitude, and prepares to transform. Lugnut is going to take the hunt to the enemy.

Dom
-figures Deepdive will shoot Lugnut in the eye, but be disappointed about not being able to shoot Lugnut between the eyes.