ROTF toy line, a success or a failure to you?

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.

Is the ROTF toy line a success or a failure to you?

Total success
9%
Moderate success
36%
Mixed quality at best
27%
Moderate failure
27%
Total failure
No votes

Total votes: 11

donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Re: ROTF toy line, a success or a failure to you?

Post by donosaur »

I saw the ice cream truck in the store the other day and thought about grabbing it, but I realized it would only be for the weirdness factor. Honestly that toy would be be a lot more appealing with better color, although I'm sure scourge would disagree
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I picked it up for a friend, and he said it blew, so.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

There's a better color than pink?

I dunno, the pink ice cream truck factor made me want it at one point, but then the whole "Ugh, movie characters" phase happened, and I lost interest. They look like they'd be ok toys out of context, though.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

That is kind of my take on them. I was on the fence about getting Skids and Mudflap, and their association with the movie tipped me against the purchase.

Dom
-but, yeah, they do look fun.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

The ice-cream truck is okay, it gets by on novelty value. The actual Skids and Mudflap toys aren't that bad, and I'm glad I got them. All four look good together. I try to forget their association with the movie.

As for the poll, I picked Moderate Failure. This line is, I feel, vastly less fun than the first movie line, has lost the novelty "Ooh, new aesthetic" value, and has delivered some horrible toys that should never have been made. The hit:miss ratio is tipped higher in favour of miss than any other main line I can recall in recent years.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The only main line I liked less was "Energon". And, I would have to do a toy by toy comparison to be sure.

The only other lines that I can think of that I liked less were "Alternators" and "Titaniums".

Dom
-saving oodles of cash though.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Animated, for me, was a big disappointment. And it wasn't the aesthetic, either, because I loved the show at first, then finally settled on just kind of liking it (Because there were too many filler eps and stuff, mind), but the toys just weren't fun. I bought five of them and only really liked one.

I think this week I'm gonna take down some of the ROTF I've shelved and actually fiddle with it...

Remember what happened the last time we had a toyline with shit for fiction? Cybertron. And we took the ideas and ran with them and made our own awesome ideas? Why aren't we doing that with ROTF?
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

"Cybertron" generally had well written tech-specs. In RotF, some of the profiles are not that good. And, some of the good ones are for characters who died in the movie.

Dom
-also notes our "Cybertron" RPG never really took off.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Dom wrote:The only main line I liked less was "Energon". And, I would have to do a toy by toy comparison to be sure.

The only other lines that I can think of that I liked less were "Alternators" and "Titaniums".

Dom
-saving oodles of cash though.
Energon had a lot of misses in the larger scales and on the Autobot side, but the Decepticons were largely hits, I felt. Given I own all but..what, five toys? from the entire line, I definitely preferred it to ROTF.

Alternators had a lot of filler, yet I felt the hits were strong enough to hold the line up in my mind. Again, own almost all of it, it displays very nicely, and the universal scale makes a huge difference.

Titanium, there I liked more than most did, but you may have me on that one.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am not sure if the scale was as consistent as you are remembering it. Slugslinger is pretty under-sized compared to some Decepticons. And, having Ironhide combine with Jetfire does not exactly show consistent scaling.

I do agree that most of the better toys were Decepticons.

Dom
-and there were some Minicons too. Cannot ignore the Minicons.