ROTF Review Thread

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
onslaught86

Re: ROTF Review Thread

Post by onslaught86 »

Wow, JT, that's brutal. I'd been planning to avoid Rampage for a number of reasons - boring colours, lame tread whips and jackhammer gimmick, weak articulation - and hold out for a repaint that'd fix at least the first point. He seemed like an interesting idea with iffy execution, looks like I should change that to terrible execution. Heh.
Yeah, this line so far reeks of cost-cutting devices cutting itself off at the knees, Hasbro has some apologizing to do, economy woes or no. As for Demolishor's hinged treads, only pics I've seen from Hasbro had rubber and it looked like dookie.
Yeah, it's just a little odd that so much has been cut from what would've likely been much better toys, especially major characters. Real shame.
As for Demmy, I thought much the same, but look reeeal closely next time you see one in package. There're hinges on the stock photos' treads.

A lot of the Constructicons look like terrible toys without the combination, no friggin' way Demolishor is worth the now-inflated Mega price without anything more to the toy, and Rampage follows suit in the Deluxe bracket.
There's no more than 3mm of travel, that's an expense to tool separately that I don't think they'd drop in for "looked kinda neat if you used your imagination".
Hmm, as mentioned, I don't have one on hand to fiddle with. It seemed to me that the exhaust pipe chunk was hinged so it could point forward in robot mode as a missile rack rather than stick up skyward as a mortar. Annoying without a set of stock images to refer to, I get the feeling they'll be the real helper this time around, as the instructions are mostly useless.

Speaking of, it pays to look reeeeeally closely at the lineart for the completed robot mode. They often show a correctly transformed robot, despite not showing the correct series of steps to get to it (Or back).
Yeah, the paint looks super flat to me, very plasticky and boring.
The plastic too, I miss the nifty metallic flake blue.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

onslaught86 wrote:Wow, JT, that's brutal. I'd been planning to avoid Rampage for a number of reasons - boring colours, lame tread whips and jackhammer gimmick, weak articulation - and hold out for a repaint that'd fix at least the first point. He seemed like an interesting idea with iffy execution, looks like I should change that to terrible execution. Heh.
By the time I fell asleep, I couldn't stop thinking about the figure because it isn't content to merely fail, it dared to aim high, to dream big, and it failed spectacularly.
Yeah, it's just a little odd that so much has been cut from what would've likely been much better toys, especially major characters. Real shame.
As for Demmy, I thought much the same, but look reeeal closely next time you see one in package. There're hinges on the stock photos' treads.
I see what you mean, I took a look at the picture I took on Friday full sized.

Really sucks they couldn't deliver better.
A lot of the Constructicons look like terrible toys without the combination, no friggin' way Demolishor is worth the now-inflated Mega price without anything more to the toy, and Rampage follows suit in the Deluxe bracket.
The idea of not combining these guys was that they'd be the best figures they could be. Demolishor looks to be one of the worst things i've ever seen, simplest Voyager, total suckage.
Hmm, as mentioned, I don't have one on hand to fiddle with. It seemed to me that the exhaust pipe chunk was hinged so it could point forward in robot mode as a missile rack rather than stick up skyward as a mortar.
Pointing forward is my preference, and it points into his back.
The plastic too, I miss the nifty metallic flake blue.
Yeah, I should have said "deco".
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Rampage01
Deluxe

Post by Rampage01 »

I don't think think Rampage is that bad. I can certainly see room for improvements, but from what I see in my short time with it (just found 'em at Wal-Mart), its a neat little toy. Of course, since he seems to be an homage to my namesake, I'm perhaps a bit biased.

Or maybe I just have bad taste.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Soooooo.......would this be a bad time to mention that Rampage and possibly the other Constructicons might be troop-builders? No, really. Read the adaptations.

Sideways is worth getting. I will fiddle and review more later. Beware of paint schmootzing thoug.

I have noticed plenty of "left a piece out" trouble with toys I have picked up, across several price points. Badly presented instructions are also an issue.

Anyway, now for a review....

Smokescreen (robot/car): This is a recolor of the first movie's Jazz figure. I have an inexplicable fondness for the mold, and it carries over to this toy. (The weapon is the spear, not the gun from the "Final Battle" figure.

The main color is dark blue. There is cleanly applied red and white striping along the sides of the car.

The back of the package indicates that this is idiomatically the same character as G1 Smokescreen. The back of the package also ignores, (actually contradicts), Smokescreen's death in "Reign of Starscream", adding yet another splinter to the movie time-line.

-grade: B I should probably rate this one lower, but I really like the mold. Definitely worth getting if you do not have Jazz, worth cponsidering otherwise.

Chromia: The blue she-cycle does not look like it combines. And, as with the first movie's Arcee, it is way too big. It looks like Hasbro's plan is to release 3 recolors of one toy as the same character and to make people buy them. I Am skipping this one.

7-11 Prime head cup: I snagged this for Lewis last week. Uh, I guess it is a good cup....dunno if it is worth going crazy to find though.

Dom
-figured out that Rampage was in two places at once because one of the Rampage's used the pogo-stick mode while Devastator was formed.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Chromia: The blue she-cycle does not look like it combines. And, as with the first movie's Arcee, it is way too big. It looks like Hasbro's plan is to release 3 recolors of one toy as the same character and to make people buy them. I Am skipping this one.
Nah, Arcee is, at the least, a new mould, and accordingto Hasbro, the three do combine. It was dropped by the movie, apparently, though.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

More in-package reviews:

Dirtboss (robot/fork-truck): A good use of the idea that some TFs will have bland alternatie modes. And, it nicely excpands on the idea that not all TFs are famous. (Yes, "Cybertron" had some non-toys characters that fit this bill, but it is rare to see toys of this sort of character.) A bit more paint could have helped, and more moving parts on the fork would also have been nice. I might snag one later.

Depthcharge (robot/boat): As has been mentioned by others, this is an Autobot boat. Some people are buying it just for the novelty of having a rare (especially for the faction) alternate form. The robot looks more like a late-run "Cybertron" toy than a move figure. The vehicle mode definitely would be better as a larger toy. (It is basically a heavily armed coastal partrol boat.)

Rollbar: An Autobot Redbull delivery truck. Nice cross=marketing, but I prefer my Autobots to be more closely scaled.

Deadend: Decepticon sports car. Not a bad effort, but more consistent scaling would have been nice.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

$8.50 for a basic? You've got to be kidding me. And that's the Wal-mart price. I'm sure they'll be more at Target or TRU.

I've browsed the ROTF section over the last day or two since they were put on shelves, and I'm not really tempted by many of them, particularly at the inflated price. If not for the price, Dead End looked promising, both due to the fact that he shares his name with a Stunticon, and the fact that his head reminds me of Beast Machines Hammerstrike. But the price is definately off-putting.

Sideswipe's vehicle mode is tempting me to get that figure. I guess he's the potential "gateway figure" in much the same way that Barricade's vehicle mode got me started on the first movie line. We'll see.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Dirtboss (robot/fork-truck): A good use of the idea that some TFs will have bland alternatie modes. And, it nicely excpands on the idea that not all TFs are famous. (Yes, "Cybertron" had some non-toys characters that fit this bill, but it is rare to see toys of this sort of character.) A bit more paint could have helped, and more moving parts on the fork would also have been nice. I might snag one later.
Dirtboss is also clearly based on the Scrapper drones from the first movie game.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

We really need to sort out how many movie continuities there are. it is a franchise unto itself.

Dom
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

I just pretend the games are what really happened. The first game was basically just the movie story, but expanded upon and ten times more awesome.

Jazz dies fighting Blackout and Starscream simultaneously. Alone. (Also no explanation is ever given as to why he's doing so, but hey.)