AOE movie reviews

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: AOE movie reviews

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:How does picking up a sword lead to having foot-flight? Seriously? (Admittedly, this sort of thing is common in TF. But, that does not make it okay.)
I mentioned earlier, there is some concept art from Josh Nizzi that shows his upgrade was supposed to be more apparent by giving him a mainly silver scheme (hence all the "Silver Knight" stuff) as well as some other slight tweaks to his design, and there's even a CGI render of him in silver floating around online. I'm guessing they cut out some stuff about Optimus getting the upgrade since they decided to stick with his normal colors in the final version of the film.
"Hold on Hound! I have to put a blade to the throat of this guy who I just took out of a cell. He is going to help us....or else."
To be fair, Optimus offers the Dinobots freedom if they help them out, and Grimlock is typically confrontational.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Sparky Prime wrote:
Dominic wrote:How does picking up a sword lead to having foot-flight? Seriously? (Admittedly, this sort of thing is common in TF. But, that does not make it okay.)
I mentioned earlier, there is some concept art from Josh Nizzi that shows his upgrade was supposed to be more apparent by giving him a mainly silver scheme (hence all the "Silver Knight" stuff) as well as some other slight tweaks to his design, and there's even a CGI render of him in silver floating around online. I'm guessing they cut out some stuff about Optimus getting the upgrade since they decided to stick with his normal colors in the final version of the film.
It seems like on every film Nizzi is on, he tries to find some way to give Prime a cool upgrade, and it never, ever makes it to the film. (DOTM excluded. Maybe.)
To be fair, Optimus offers the Dinobots freedom if they help them out, and Grimlock is typically confrontational.
It'd be nice if any of that was communicated through, I dunno, dialogue, instead of just robots beating the piss out of each other for seemingly no reason. Maybe if Grimlock came out and said, "Hey, thanks for releasing us, now piss off," and Prime was all, "No, we need your help," and Grimlock said, "Only if you can prove you're stronger," or something, then fine. Instead, they just march out and Prime beats the shit out of Grimlock for seemingly no reason.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Now that the film is out on digital, I wanted to share a gif that I found of the 'Knight Upgrade' Optimus receives when he's pulling the sword from the pedestal. You can see how his arms change during the process. It would have been nice if they'd showed his legs in the scene to better show why he can suddenly fly at the end of the movie, but it's because of this upgrade he gets when he takes the sword.

JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Sparky Prime wrote:Now that the film is out on digital, I wanted to share a gif that I found of the 'Knight Upgrade' Optimus receives when he's pulling the sword from the pedestal. You can see how his arms change during the process. It would have been nice if they'd showed his legs in the scene to better show why he can suddenly fly at the end of the movie, but it's because of this upgrade he gets when he takes the sword.
I haven't seen this film, obviously, but that sword doesn't seem to add any parts to him, his arms simply rearrange. Why would rearranging existing parts let him fly all of a sudden when he has changed his physical layout several times in this series without such success?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:I haven't seen this film, obviously, but that sword doesn't seem to add any parts to him, his arms simply rearrange. Why would rearranging existing parts let him fly all of a sudden when he has changed his physical layout several times in this series without such success?
It's not actually simply just rearranging parts. As the parts shift around on his arms, they disappear and then new parts appear to replace them, changing the physical layout. We see somewhat of a similar process when both he and Bumblebee scan new vehicle forms earlier in the film. Makes me think the sword somehow tapped into that ability for the Transformers to change forms like that to give Optimus a few upgrades. And the jets are built directly into his legs, which is why it wasn't necessary to add any new parts to him this time around.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Sparky Prime wrote:
JediTricks wrote:I haven't seen this film, obviously, but that sword doesn't seem to add any parts to him, his arms simply rearrange. Why would rearranging existing parts let him fly all of a sudden when he has changed his physical layout several times in this series without such success?
It's not actually simply just rearranging parts. As the parts shift around on his arms, they disappear and then new parts appear to replace them, changing the physical layout. We see somewhat of a similar process when both he and Bumblebee scan new vehicle forms earlier in the film. Makes me think the sword somehow tapped into that ability for the Transformers to change forms like that to give Optimus a few upgrades. And the jets are built directly into his legs, which is why it wasn't necessary to add any new parts to him this time around.
Hence when I used the word "rearrange". They aren't new parts, they didn't pop out of subspace, they used the existing materials in his body in a new configuration. "Rearrange".
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:Hence when I used the word "rearrange". They aren't new parts, they didn't pop out of subspace, they used the existing materials in his body in a new configuration. "Rearrange".
You wouldn't call melting down a coin to use the metal for something new is "rearranging" that metal. Similarly, the Transformers using the existing material of their bodies to recreate it as new parts for a different configuration isn't "rearranging" those parts.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Indeed, that would be like saying Bumblebee "rearranged" himself from a '78 camaro into the '08 camaro.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Bought and watched the movie yesterday and I actually thought it was pretty good. I certainly liked it better than the other three and I even found myself liking some of the designs. Sadly, the Dinobots were not on that list, but, there certainly was an improvement in aesthetic this time around. I also found the plot to be easier to follow in this one. I never found myself asking "why are they here/doing this/going to X now?" like I did with the previous films. I mean, honestly, I really didn't find anything that I didn't like about this movie (aside from the name Transformium, but even that wasn't as cringe worthy as I thought it was).
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Shockwave wrote:I never found myself asking "why are they here/doing this/going to X now?" like I did with the previous films.
"We're going to Hong Kong now."
"...Why?"
"Because Steve Jobs said so."