AOE movie reviews

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: AOE movie reviews

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:Indeed, that would be like saying Bumblebee "rearranged" himself from a '78 camaro into the '08 camaro.
That's deco, not functionality. If he could rearrange himself into ANYTHING why not fix his voice or legs, or give him flight or better weapons? That's the thing, these characters are rearranging their existing components, not simply creating whatever they need as the story demands, that would be too much ability for the story to bear.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

JediTricks wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Indeed, that would be like saying Bumblebee "rearranged" himself from a '78 camaro into the '08 camaro.
That's deco, not functionality.
Physically altering his appearance to adopt a new vehicle mode is more than just a change in deco. And it could impact their functionality depending on the form they adopt. Megatron was no longer shown to be able to fly after he became a truck in Dark of the Moon for an example, having given up his Cybertronian jet capabilities.
If he could rearrange himself into ANYTHING why not fix his voice or legs, or give him flight or better weapons? That's the thing, these characters are rearranging their existing components, not simply creating whatever they need as the story demands, that would be too much ability for the story to bear.
When Optimus scanned a new form in this film, it automatically fixed a great deal of damage (or at least the superficial damage) he had sustained. And Bumblebee does appear to get some new weapons after he adopts the '14 Camaro form, like the missiles on his arms he uses during the highway fight. Why his voice still isn't fixed though, who knows, maybe his voice box was too badly damaged for that process to repair or is too complex of a component. In any case, it appears there are some limitations. And again, adopting a new form or getting upgrades like Optimus did isn't rearranging parts. Those types of changes sticks with them (unless they scan a new form or some such) having physically altered what they look like. Transforming between robot and vehicle mode on the other hand is rearranging parts.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I suppose rearranged vs. "transform" is actually a bit of a gray area in AoE since the Decepticons built by KSI don't really "transform" in the same way the Autobots do, they just kind of rearrange the molecules from one form to the other. It's not a shifting of existing parts like it is on the Autobots. But, either way, unless there's a change in mass, even the transcanning process could be seen as a rearrangement of molecules, just on the atomic level.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:I suppose rearranged vs. "transform" is actually a bit of a gray area in AoE since the Decepticons built by KSI don't really "transform" in the same way the Autobots do, they just kind of rearrange the molecules from one form to the other. It's not a shifting of existing parts like it is on the Autobots. But, either way, unless there's a change in mass, even the transcanning process could be seen as a rearrangement of molecules, just on the atomic level.
True enough, the KSI bots transformations are completely different. But still, I wouldn't call breaking things down to a molecular level in order to completely change the structure of their bodies or parts of their bodies the same thing as simply just rearranging those parts.
Almighty Unicron
Supreme-Class

Post by Almighty Unicron »

BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I never found myself asking "why are they here/doing this/going to X now?" like I did with the previous films.
"We're going to Hong Kong now."
"...Why?"
"Because Steve Jobs said so."
I don't think they were in Hong Kong right?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Almighty Unicron wrote:
BWprowl wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I never found myself asking "why are they here/doing this/going to X now?" like I did with the previous films.
"We're going to Hong Kong now."
"...Why?"
"Because Steve Jobs said so."
I don't think they were in Hong Kong right?
The screen said they were. I can't remember why, but I do remember that it made sense at the time.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Saw the TF4 Theatre movie months ago. Today, I just watched the TF4 theatre movie.

I thought the TF4 movie did a bad job of explaining where certain things came from,It felt like Watching the BM cartoon series. Where things just pop up and their is no explanation where they came from.

It looked like a lot of ideas were nixed or trimmed down, which would explain why things just pop up out of nowhere. Guessing a whole bunch of scenes got cut out of he final version

Not showing how the Dinobots got their Dino modes was just Awful. The robots just transform into dinosaurs without scanning dino alt modes.

It appeared the dinobots already had their dinosaur modes when they were in prison on lockdowns ship.

that metal T-rex head that older blonde woman found, i'm convinced that was Grimlock. lockdown must of taken grimlock from that place shortly after the blonde woman found the metal t-rex.

Lockdown tells optimus, that optimus and the dinobots are the knights he's been collecting for the creators. yet optimus and the dinobots don't know each other, kinda odd & weird. If optimus is a knight why is he so much smaller than the other Dinobots-Knights?

Bumblebee having almost a evenly matched fight with Lockdown,just seemed wrong.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote:The screen said they were. I can't remember why, but I do remember that it made sense at the time.
After Galvatron takes over all the KSI prototypes, Su Yueming tells Joshua and Darcy that she knows a military garrison in Hong Kong that will help them.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Late to the party here, but I never did get around to seeing AOE in the theater. Plans to go see it with friends fell through, and then again, and then they went and saw it without us, and we just never got around to going. Finally got it on DVD and finished watching last night. I think, with the possible exception of the first movie, that it may be the best of the four. I really enjoyed the new cast, less bawdy humor than the last two movies, and the appearance of the Dinobots, short though it was. The plot worked pretty well, the bad guys were well acted and soundly motivated, and all the bits of story dropped about "the creators" and "the knights" are suitably intriguing, and I hope they get picked up next time. And it feels like we get more Transformers with each passing movie, though the humans still get more scenes than I'd like. I'm there for the giant robots, not the people.

All that and Optimus killed Kelsey Grammar's character. He did say he would when he found him. Don't mess with Optimus!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I tend to think that AoE was the best of the four as well. I would have given it to "Dark of the Moon". But, "Age of Extinction" had fewer dumb side-trips. (And, the obnoxious character that would obligate the side-trips died. That almost made up for Skids and Mudflap not getting offed on-screen in "Dark of the Moon".) Either way, it is a pretty low bar to be "best of Bayformers".
Kelsey Grammar's character
It would have been nice to see him come back. But, given how much Grammar probably costs to have on screen, killing him made sense.