Questions for Hasbro on TF design?

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: Questions for Hasbro on TF design?

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I'd like to know if there are any guidelines regarding the use of fake parts as robot parts (Example would be the fuax car hood chest on the recent Generations Bumblebee/Goldfire figures).
How's this sound?
Are there any guidelines regarding the use of fake alternate-mode designs on figures' robot modes? Something like the faux car hood chest for Generations Bumblebee, or dummy wheels sculpted into an Optimus Prime's back.
It sounds a hell of a lot closer to what I actually wanted to ask, so thanks for fishing that out :D
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:
JediTricks wrote:
Shockwave wrote:I'd like to know if there are any guidelines regarding the use of fake parts as robot parts (Example would be the fuax car hood chest on the recent Generations Bumblebee/Goldfire figures).
How's this sound?
Are there any guidelines regarding the use of fake alternate-mode designs on figures' robot modes? Something like the faux car hood chest for Generations Bumblebee, or dummy wheels sculpted into an Optimus Prime's back.
It sounds a hell of a lot closer to what I actually wanted to ask, so thanks for fishing that out :D
Sure thing. I have to do that so I can understand it fully AND say it out loud or explain it if they don't understand the first time.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Ok, so the first answers are up at ActionFigs:
http://www.actionfigs.com/content.php/1 ... Extinction

which leaves these questions for Botcon and SDCC:
  1. We understand it's about 18 months from start to finish, but how much time does each segment of a figure's design generally take? The concept design sketching, prototype development, and so on. Have you ever had to go back to the drawing board on a figure, or do you continue to press forward trying to iron out issues that may arise along the way?
  2. How long does a bigger sized TF toy - like Leader, Ultimate and Titan - take to create compared to the much smaller sized TF toys like Legends, Commander and Deluxe sized TF toys? How long specifically did it take to develop Metroplex?
  3. Does the design team get more enjoyment out of making figures of pre-existing characters, or developing new things that haven't been done before (Ripclaw, Thundertron, Windblade)? Which is easier?
  4. How hard is it to incorporate diecast metal parts into a predominately plastic design with those Masterpiece TF toys? Does extra testing need to be done due to the nature of the diecast parts on the toy?
  5. When designing a TF toy, is it hard to remove initial things - articulation, gimmicks, parts, sculpting detail, etc. - from the design when the toy needs to come under budget and only cutbacks can get it there?
  6. Were numbers on Fall of Cybertron Bruticus figures good enough that we might see more combiners in the Generations line, with or without current media support? If so, with the limitation of combiners being only deluxes lifted, would a Voyager-class center figure with deluxe limb figures ever be likely?
  7. Could we get longer Hasbro panels at Botcon? They're always great, never long enough even when there's time for Q&A.
  8. What is one alt-mode each team member has always wanted to see as a Transformer?
  9. Lately, major characters and fan-favorites have been getting multiple figures in a line (e.g. Generations Jetfire, Bumblebee in any given movie, everybody in TF:Prime). Does knowing that is a possibility act as a safety net in designing the first take on a figure?
  10. Recently, we've had figures released that are upsized versions of existing smaller figures. In general, how difficult is it to upsize or downsize an existing toy design into a new scale or class?
  11. What are some differences in design philosophies between Hasbro and Takara-Tomy? Takara-tomy does stuff like Transformers: Go! with a somewhat unique aesthetic and design from Hasbro.
  12. Why doesn't the Generations toy line do more G1 animal-based Transformers?
Anything else we should ask this summer?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

What criteria does Hasbro use to decide which TF lines to import from Japan? Example, Transformers PVCs got released here but WST did not.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:What criteria does Hasbro use to decide which TF lines to import from Japan? Example, Transformers PVCs got released here but WST did not.
Can you cite other examples, please? WST is likely about choking hazards or some crap, and I'd like to bolster your argument.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:
Shockwave wrote:What criteria does Hasbro use to decide which TF lines to import from Japan? Example, Transformers PVCs got released here but WST did not.
Can you cite other examples, please? WST is likely about choking hazards or some crap, and I'd like to bolster your argument.
Maybe, but it was the only one I could think of that hasn't made it over here. Maybe the Mega SCF? But wouldn't that just be an offshoot of... I have no idea. Sorry. I mean, obvious stuff like MP-05 Megatron because he's a gun. Umm.... Encore maybe? Even that's kind of a stretch because Hasbro reissued a lot of the G1 toys back in the early 2000's. I mean, I guess a case COULD be made for Encore for things like the remolded head on Bumblebee or "Anime" colored Devastator, but that's kind of pushing it I think. So I guess that boils the question down to "Why didn't you import WST?" which you already answered so

You know what? Screw it. It's a terrible question. Forget I asked. :oops:
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:
JediTricks wrote:
Maybe, but it was the only one I could think of that hasn't made it over here. Maybe the Mega SCF? But wouldn't that just be an offshoot of... I have no idea. Sorry. I mean, obvious stuff like MP-05 Megatron because he's a gun. Umm.... Encore maybe? Even that's kind of a stretch because Hasbro reissued a lot of the G1 toys back in the early 2000's. I mean, I guess a case COULD be made for Encore for things like the remolded head on Bumblebee or "Anime" colored Devastator, but that's kind of pushing it I think. So I guess that boils the question down to "Why didn't you import WST?" which you already answered so

You know what? Screw it. It's a terrible question. Forget I asked. :oops:
I'll keep it in the ol' back pocket of "well shit, I asked all our questions and we still have 3 minutes". I hate scrambling on those.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Questions you'd ask Hasbro at the 2014 Botcon,SDCC & NYCC.

Post by Tigermegatron »

Questions you'd ask Hasbro at the 2014 Botcon,SDCC & NYCC.

1- Rodimus is the only MP TF you haven't re-released in that new style MP TF box for TRU USA. Do you have plans to re-release MP Rodimus? If Yes, Will it be the complete full version this time around with the trailer? Any hints of the newer color scheme?

2- Any plans to re-release all of the TF4 AOE Generations Dinobots in 1985 G-1 deco colors schemes? Possibly as store exclusives or site exclusives. Platinum,gift set or mass release?

3- How many leader sized TF toys for Generations do you have planned for 2014 to 2015? At the February 2014 NYC Toyfair,You hinted at 5. Care to mention which TF characters they all are?

4- Is another new mold Generations Titan sized city formed planned?

5- anymore combiners new molds toys planned for the Generations toy lines in 2014 to 2015?

6- Will you be selling those Transformers Go,New mold Trio combiners in the USA for 2014 to 2015?

7- Will the TF4 toy line keep creating newer molds in 2015?

8- What is the extent of the size of the Generations toy line in 2015?

9- Any plans to release a new mold leader sized Sixshot toy for the Generations 2014 to 2015 toy lines?

10- Do you have a New mold Masterforce/IDW Leader or supreme sized Overlord toy planned for the 2014 to 2015 Generations or MP toy lines?

11- Why is the Generations toy lines not making that many new mold Robots that transform into Animals Transformers toys? Any planned for 2014 to 2015?
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Any more questions? I'm going to Botcon and going to try to get in something, but no guarantees.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote:Any more questions? I'm going to Botcon and going to try to get in something, but no guarantees.
About the only thing I could think about distribution.

"I understand that retailers have distribution centers that determine where product goes when it gets shipped out to stores. Unfortunately, this results in spotty distribution. A toy can wind up in quantities that will shelf warm in one area while being never even seen in other areas. Does Hasbro look at other different ways to get product to consumers in some of the lesser distributed areas?"

That's about the best way I can think to phrase that. If it's too much don't worry about it.