What's your opinion on, Live action TF movies & movie toys.

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: What's your opinion on, Live action TF movies & movie to

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote:Sam is a bitch, especially in the second and third movies. He goes from being a slightly above average 16 year old in the first movie to being an insufferable brat in the second and third movies. Seriously, most people would push him in front of a bus and be done with him.
The second movie I might grant you he's a bit of a brat for whining he just wants a "normal" college experience despite going to an ivy league school, having an alien robot for a car and hot girlfriend he just expects to just wait for him at home. But not so much the 3rd film. A lot of people fresh out of college find themselves jobless and having to take a job that is below their education and personal expectations, especially with the current job market. I know I can relate to Sam's situation in the 3rd film, and I totally understand where he's coming from.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

He was still a whiny little bitch. "Bawwww, I wanna be normal." Then, "Bawwwww, tweat me speshul!"

Seriously, I am hoping that TF4 establishes that he died like a Wrecker between films.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

He's not that bad.

Something I forgot to mention in my earlier post I wanted to comment on... I would have liked to see the Autobots working on some way to restore Cybertron as well. I mean, they pretty much just give up on their home planet once the Allspark is gone. Yet we see the Decepticons (and Sentinel Prime) still working on plans to rebuild, albeit their methods would sacrifice the Earth. Might be a moot point now since Cybertron was seemingly destroyed with the failed Spacebridge transport, but still, it feels like the Autobots gave up too easily and aren't as compassionate about their own home planet, while ironically the Decepticons are.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Prime probably considers protecting Earth a better use of their time.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

I dunno about that, considering he allowed Bumblebee to continue posing as Sam's car. Granted, we saw 'Bee help out the NEST team during DOTM, but if Prime thought their time was best used protecting Earth, why wouldn't he keep all the Autobots together all the time?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

...What?

Protecting Sam or fighting with NEST; regardless they're still on Earth, not off fixing Cybertron. That was my point.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

You said maybe it was a better use of their time, but there is no reason for Bumblebee to constantly protect Sam. The Decepticons only had an interest in him at first because of the glasses with the Allspark's location. How it that a good use of Bumblebee's time to protect a teenager that doesn't need protection anymore (at least until the next movie events make Sam more important again)?

And still, even with the Autobots busy protecting Earth, that doesn't mean they couldn't be working on some plans for Cybertron. That's my point. We don't see them doing ANYTHING for their home planet when the Decepticons are clearly still trying to save it.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Dominic wrote:"Sam represents the audience" is just insulting. In real life, Sam is the person you want to see get pushed in front of a train.
Sam doesn't represent the audience as a whole, he only represents the audience's lack of understanding of the situations and characters, thus becoming the audience's a gateway into the new world. Sam's desire to get ahead in life, to get a hot girl and a slick car is also not terribly outside the norm for an audience to want. Sam shows loyalty and cleverness and bravery, all traits the audience would like to have. He just does so in a slimy manner and is an actor whose abrasive personality is forced down the audience's throat. The character as written is definitely intended to appeal to the youth male audience, it's just that the actor is so specific in his unappealing manner. Then again, if taken outside the context of "Shia LaBeouf should be in everything in hollywood!" that the studios have wrapped him up in, should there be anything wrong with a flawed character being a hero? Is it not laziness to make a protagonist only likeable? That said, Shia's character is given too much too fast, he's handed heroism in the film on a silver platter and it too becomes grating.
Say what you will about there being 12 Bumblebees, but at least the damned things shipped. I passed through Target yesterday, and saw the same DOTM toys that have been warming shelves since May.
I don't see the point here. They shipped a lot of different Bumblebees, all of which pegwarmed for a while, then eventually thinned out (partly through steep retailer discounts and Hasbro offering 2-for-1 packs, and in 3 months I won't be surprised if we see that the rest were liquidated to Ross and TJ Maxx and such). Those pieces of shit shipping isn't a cause to celebrate, it's the REASON that other products didn't ship. It's all related.

Sparky Prime wrote:
Dominic wrote:"Sam represents the audience" is just insulting. In real life, Sam is the person you want to see get pushed in front of a train.
How is that insulting? He's your "average joe" character of the films, albeit he's sometimes a bit unorthodox.
One of my problems with Sam is that he's anything but average, he's portrayed as being an average kid and then he gets everything to go his way and he avoids all the falling rocks at just the right time and he magically knows exactly how to save the day despite no training, no knowledge, no skill even -- that's not a good character, that's not an average joe character, and to have him play it as such is really annoying, IMO. And that's the first film, the second film there's no excuse at all for what he goes through. Hell, the only reason he gets any traction in the first film is because his GRANDPA was in the right place at the right time - how much more bullshit is that?
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

Sparky Prime wrote:You said maybe it was a better use of their time, but there is no reason for Bumblebee to constantly protect Sam. The Decepticons only had an interest in him at first because of the glasses with the Allspark's location. How it that a good use of Bumblebee's time to protect a teenager that doesn't need protection anymore (at least until the next movie events make Sam more important again)?
Because the movies aren't that well-written, and trying to apply logic to a lot of things in there is just gonna waste your time and drive you crazy? But okay, I have a legit answer that makes sense to this one.

If we assume that there's Decepticons running around on Earth, which the second movie says is a pretty safe assumption, then it's entirely likely that one or two of 'em might be a little bit cross with the kid that took out their leader. In that case, it's probably not a bad idea to have Bumblebee around.

But the real reason from the movie, of course, is that Bumblebee said he wanted to stay with Sam, not because it was deemed a good use of resources or anything like that. Bumblebee just liked being made out on top of, I guess.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am not against flawed heroes. My complaints about Sam are rooted more in the second and third movies. He is an obnoxious fucktard who needs to be pushed in front of a train.

Dom
-this has nothing to do with being angry about the Wreckers fiasco this week....