Transformers 4 Confirmed for 2014

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 4 Confirmed

Post by Dominic »

I actually do like the movie toys in terms of engineering and fiddle value. It is the context that ruins them. The only purpose moulded movie toys that I have are RotF Insecticon, (and that is in my "gonna customize it someday" pile), and and Barricade (a new character that came out of the movie and has no toy representation otherwise). The rest are recoloured UT and TFU figures.

As much as I like most of the tie-in comics, they are not enough to cancel out the badness of the movies.

I am not sure why we are using spoiler text for this part, but....
Spoiler
If they put Unicron in the movie, that will just be one more thing to dislike about Bayformers, and it will be one less thing I can say that I like about the movies as a franchise.

I have already been skipping the toys. But, that might make me skip the movie itself, maybe even the comics (despite my regard for Barber and Mowry).
blood-boilingly-butthurt
I just wanted that phrase in this post.

Dom
-no, really.
blood-boilingly-butthurt
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Good job posting it in the news. I've updated this forum name and description to address the matter.

Honestly, they must have backed a dump truck full of cash up to Bay's house and buried him in dead-eyed hookers to get him to do this. What happened to his "integrity", his resolve to do smaller films and to get away from this draining type of "filmmaking"? At this point if he directs this 4th film, it's going to affect his ability to be hired for non-Transformers movies, he's going to be known as "the guy who makes toy movies" which is not a good place to be.

Oh, and he sucks.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

JediTricks wrote:Good job posting it in the news. I've updated this forum name and description to address the matter.

Honestly, they must have backed a dump truck full of cash up to Bay's house and buried him in dead-eyed hookers to get him to do this. What happened to his "integrity", his resolve to do smaller films and to get away from this draining type of "filmmaking"? At this point if he directs this 4th film, it's going to affect his ability to be hired for non-Transformers movies, he's going to be known as "the guy who makes toy movies" which is not a good place to be.

Oh, and he sucks.
I agree,I hate the movie verse TF movies with a passion. to see it return in 2014 is heart breaking.

it's kinda sad,but the only motivation,I have for seeing these live action TF movies are the CGI Robot scenes.

during 2007, I learned to seperate the awful TF Movie verse fiction the toys. I enjoyed some movie verse toys based solely off their toy designs.

I suspose micheal bay MIGHT be able to do a decent TF 4 Movie if he gets rid of shia le bouf/sam,his family & his friends in TF 4. Perhaps josh duhamel & his army guys could be the stars & center stage in TF4.
Mako Crab
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers 4 Confirmed for 2014

Post by Mako Crab »

You know, to this day I still love part 1. What a great, stupid, fun movie that was. I bought the Barricade toy soon as I could. He was the only movie-toy I ever (and will ever) bought.

Part 2 and 3 just didn't do it for me. But it's with part 3 that I feel we saw what Bay could do when he was at the top of his game. More robot carnage than ever before. More giant set pieces and explosions and a movie over 2 1/2 hours long to accomplish everything he wanted. But to me, the whole thing just felt hollow and soulless. I left the theater for the 2nd time in a row feeling underwhelmed by a Transformers movie.

Maybe if someone would actually churn out a good script, Bay could make something worthwhile. Maybe. But now it's a reboot?? Why a reboot? Part 1 only just came out 5 years ago. What in the world do we need a reboot for? To try and get it right this time? Sorry, but that's not going to happen. It's another Michael Bay film. He's already had three tries. It's just not going to happen.

I'm honestly considering just skipping this one. All I'm feeling is disinterest and apathy. I just don't care about TF4.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Mako Crab wrote:You know, to this day I still love part 1. What a great, stupid, fun movie that was. I bought the Barricade toy soon as I could. He was the only movie-toy I ever (and will ever) bought.
Should've bought his DOTM toy, it's way better.
Part 2 and 3 just didn't do it for me. But it's with part 3 that I feel we saw what Bay could do when he was at the top of his game. More robot carnage than ever before. More giant set pieces and explosions and a movie over 2 1/2 hours long to accomplish everything he wanted. But to me, the whole thing just felt hollow and soulless. I left the theater for the 2nd time in a row feeling underwhelmed by a Transformers movie.
I would be more impressed with the movies if they didn't always have very strange setpieces that seemingly had nothing to do with anything. Why were those parachute suit guys in the movie? They accomplished literally nothing. Most of them died on the way down! And that whole "falling building" setup (which NEVER gets resolved in any decent way) was pretty much entirely an excuse for Michael Bay to film scenes in a flipped around building because he saw it in Inception. (Seriously, am I the ONLY one who saw that for what it was?)
Maybe if someone would actually churn out a good script, Bay could make something worthwhile. Maybe. But now it's a reboot?? Why a reboot? Part 1 only just came out 5 years ago. What in the world do we need a reboot for? To try and get it right this time? Sorry, but that's not going to happen. It's another Michael Bay film. He's already had three tries. It's just not going to happen.
I think what they mean by "reboot" here is "soft reboot." Some film directors and producers take continuity to such an insane level that if Sam Witwicky isn't in the next movie, then it's not really part of the same story. For example, Terminator Salvation has been described as a reboot, even though it very clearly has ties to the original movies and, in fact, the entire Terminator mythos *relies* on the movies being tied together. (Also, the T-800 at the end has Arnold's face, squarely confirming that it's the same universe.) But because it's set in the future war, and not taking place in the "present day" (or 3 years in the future ala T2) and precisely *isn't* about a Terminator and another dude (sometimes also a Terminator) being sent back in time to kill John Connor (or John Connor's mother). It's about John Connor fighting Terminators in the future.

Likewise, all three Transformers movies are ostensibly about Sam getting involved in this Transformers conflict on Earth. If the new movie doesn't involve Sam at all, but rather involves Optimus Prime and Bumblebee travelling through space looking for Primus or something, then yeah, it's kind of a reboot.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I liked the third movie the best. It was not a good movie on any objective scale. But, it was better than the last two.

Of course, it will be retroactively stupid because at least of few of the characters that died are likely coming back in the next movie.

Why were those parachute suit guys in the movie? They accomplished literally nothing. Most of them died on the way down!
In context, they needed a way to get in to the city, and those glider suits would be an option.

In real life, Bay has a very good relationship with the Defense Department. Adding a scene that is essentially a recruitment commercial makes sense.

But because it's set in the future war, and not taking place in the "present day" (or 3 years in the future ala T2) and precisely *isn't* about a Terminator and another dude (sometimes also a Terminator) being sent back in time to kill John Connor (or John Connor's mother). It's about John Connor fighting Terminators in the future.
The timeline did change in the third movie. But, apparently, some characters can remember across iterations of the timeline.

Dom
-might skip the movie, (at least at the movie house), as well.