DOTM "Leader" toys for 2012 Megatron & Shockwave are FALSE..

Money, violence, sex, computer graphics, scatalogical humor, racism, robots designed to be rednecks but given European accents, and maybe another sequel to the saga... what's not to love? TF m1, Revenge of the Fallen, Dark of the Moon and now Age of Extinction.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

DOTM "Leader" toys for 2012 Megatron & Shockwave are FALSE..

Post by Tigermegatron »

I'm glad the Fan rumored 2012 DOTM Leaders sized toys of Shockwave & Megatron were PROVEN FALSE. Nothing about these on-line Internet TF fan rumors made any sense.

While Hasbro didn't officially squash these rumors & deny them at Hasbro's NYC toyfair this saturday. These 2012 DOTM Leader sized toys of megatron & shockwave were not on display at toyfair,no info about them was mentioned. lastly Hasbro said they cancelled the Trilogy 2012 line for america.

Many internet TF fans,said they had sources that confired these were getting made. they kept promising that the two DOTM Leaders of megatron & shockwave were comming in 2012. Many internet fans believed these rumors & really wanted these to get made & released in 2012.

FWIW,I was in the fandom minority that didn't believe these rumors & I was hoping these rumors were FALSE. Because I loathed these DOTM Movie/toy designs of megatron & shockwave.

I also didn't think the rumors made any sense. Because Hasbro would have never released two big sized leader sized TF toys near the end in the final wave of any TF toy line. most of the time Hasbro/takara releases the bigger sized TF toys in the front/early waves of any TF toy line like in the first month or two,not 12 months later. Also,the bigger the Transformers toy,the more hasbro/takara advertise it in advance at various toy conventions & toy fairs. bigger TF toys usually get advertised way in advanced because their a hard sell & hasbro needs to convince retailers extremly early to order them.

Personally,That DOTM Movie CGI Shockwave design was hideous/awful & looked nothing like 1985 media/toy shockwave in neither mode. I just didn't see how or why creating a leader sized toy would have made it look better. most of the time getting a increased mold brings out more of the flaws the designs have & doesn't hide them like a smaller scale TF toy does. Sorry,I'm not a fan of all these recent shockwave toys that look nothing like the 1985 media/toy shockwave.

That tank mode DOTM Voyager shockwave had was a abomination it looked like garbage. the only trully way to improve on this for the leader sized DOTM Shockwave toy. was to give DOTM Leader sized Shockwave a brand new tank design that looked like a realistic military army tank mode. We all know Hasbro wasn't going to do that. we were most likely going to get a blown up/over sized voyager shockwave toy in the leader size level.

As far as DOTM Voyager megatron went. that voyager toy was decent. increasing it to a leader sized toy would have brought out all the flaws in the design. I didn't want to see a badly damaged sculpted robot head. I don'r think hasbro could have pulled off a more realistic highly scaled leader sized alt mode for DOTM Megatron. the design in both modes were nothing special,so getting a bigger version would have been horrid. most internet fans wanted more accessories like a cloth cape,chain wrapped around the chest,insects crawing around inside the open/damaged robot head. I don't think hasbro's toy budget could have given us all those accessories.

If I had to Select/choose which movie verse decepticons received two leader sized toys in 2012. It would have chosen/selected ROTF CGI Tidalwave leader sized toy,non-movie Blitzwing leader sized toy or 2007 movie Blackout get a leader sized toy. I CERTAINLY WOULD HAVE NOT CHOSEN DOTM MEGATRON NOR SHOCKWAVE,as they had voyager sized toys & blowing up/increasing these awful designs to leaders sized toys,would have bought out more of the design flaws to center stage.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Re: DOTM "Leader" toys for 2012 Megatron & Shockwave are FAL

Post by Shockwave »

I don't really care for the movie aesthetic at all in general, but I will say that the DOTM Voyager Shockwave was actually one of the best toys (if not THE best) that the line had to offer. It was one of the few toys that didn't suffer from gimped out/missing gimmicks and actually locked together properly in both modes. As for me, it was "Shockwave" enough. Pointy ears? check. One eye? Check. one arm is a gun/cannon/whatever? Check. Tube running from gun to back? Check. Purple? Check. I was hoping they would come out with a Leader scale one but I was never expecting it (and I wasn't even aware of the rumors). The Leader price point is pretty much dead. Hasbro doesn't wanna make it and retailers don't wanna carry. RIP big bots.
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

I could have gotten behind a Leader DOTM Megatron. I really dig Megatron's design from the third movie, and have thoroughly enjoyed both of the toys I've gotten of that design. But I'm not horribly torn up about it not happening, either. Leader would have been nice, but the Voyager's good enough.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Shockwave wrote:The Leader price point is pretty much dead. Hasbro doesn't wanna make it and retailers don't wanna carry. RIP big bots.
WRONG..........

2007 movie,we got three leader sized new molds of Optimus,Megatron & Brawl.

2008,animated,we got three leader sized toys of megatron,ultra magnus & bulkhead.

2009 ROTF Movie we got three leader sized toys of,Optimus,Megatron & Jetfire.

2010 HFTD,We got two leader sized new molds,Starscream & Battle ops Bumblebee which was leader sized but hasbro chraged $59.99 for
In 2011,We got 3 new mold DOTM Leader sized toys in American retail stores

In 2011 We got the Hasbro masterpiece Rodimus Prime toy sold at TRU stores in America. Technically this is a leader sized toy as it's 9.5 inches tall in robot mode.

in 2012,Thus far were getting TWO Leader sized toys for the TF Prime toy line. Which is optimus prime & bumblebee.

I can only imagine we might get one more or two more TF Prime leader sized new molds before 2012 wraps up in december.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Wait, didn't the Prime line just get cancelled?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

No; the First Editions got cancelled. Which were basically the first Prime toys they made because Prime wasn't going to have a whole toyline. The full toyline is still on track, and is supposed to have two "Weaponizer" class toys, a Bumblebee and a Prime, except now they're only $30.

I suspect that you're right, though, and there's been talk of downsizing them to the smaller price point. Frankly, I agree--there REALLY needs to be a good size class inbetween "fucking huge" and "Voyager" in the way that Ultras used to fill very nicely.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Onslaught Six wrote:I suspect that you're right, though, and there's been talk of downsizing them to the smaller price point. Frankly, I agree--there REALLY needs to be a good size class inbetween "fucking huge" and "Voyager" in the way that Ultras used to fill very nicely.
Remember when we got Ultras back for all of a wave and a half back in Universe Classics? That was cool.

Part of me kinda wants to see Megas come back, but the other part of me remembers that that size class was *really* hit or miss, and that they'd be like 17-18 dollars these days, and not really worth it compared to Voyagers.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Voyagers are Megas. During the UT era, some price points were renamed. The only reason that the then concurrent "Universe" line, (silly-ass recolours), packed Minicons in with pre-existing Mega scale toys was was that the moulding was already paid for.

Scouts are basics. Voyagers are Megas. The confustion is understandable, given that Ultras became much more common during the UT, particularly towards the end), occupying the "big toy" spot held by Voyagers/Megas, with the Leader class taking the "large toys that were not the centerpiece" slots.

If I had my way, Hasbro would go the same route that Takara has, and use sliding price points that vary by toy. (Of course, American retailers would pitch fits over that kind of business model.)

Dom
-still needs to review "United" Windcharger and Wipeout.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:Voyagers are Megas. During the UT era, some price points were renamed. The only reason that the then concurrent "Universe" line, (silly-ass recolours), packed Minicons in with pre-existing Mega scale toys was was that the moulding was already paid for.

Scouts are basics. Voyagers are Megas. The confustion is understandable, given that Ultras became much more common during the UT, particularly towards the end), occupying the "big toy" spot held by Voyagers/Megas, with the Leader class taking the "large toys that were not the centerpiece" slots.

If I had my way, Hasbro would go the same route that Takara has, and use sliding price points that vary by toy. (Of course, American retailers would pitch fits over that kind of business model.)
Nope.

Voyagers are the Old Ultras, with the Ultras as of Armada being the more expensive $25-$30 pricepoint. (It's wavered inbetween, but I think initially it was $25.) Prowl is talking about the return of the original BW-sized Megas--the smallest boxed guys who were only $15 originally. You can't take a guy like Polar Claw or Sky-Byte and try to tell me that guy is a Voyager--maybe now, with DOTM and smaller toys, but at least a handful of TF2007 toys are far too large to be the $15 Mega toys. Today's modern Voyager is more in comparison with Ultra Primal, Rampage, Depth Charge or Tigerhawk.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Remember, there was also a price bump during "Armada". It was not as obvious, with Minicons replacing Basics for a time. But, remember the "Energon" Basic figures? They were more than $5. (At this point, I consider it lucky to get a Legend scale figure for that little.) Deluxes went over $10, and generally stayed at $12 for the last decade or so before going up to damned near $15. But, aside from some useless roleplay toys, the next price point up was $20 to the Deluxes' $10. "Armada" Red Alert and Starscream were Voyagers/Megas.

Similarly, remember how Leader Prime cost as much as Supreme Cheetor only a year or so earlier? But, there was a (more expensive) Supreme Class Unicron in that same line? Similarly, Predacon, a recolour of Megatron, was sold at the same price as Red Alert. (The cost savings of it being a recolour justified the two recoloured Minicons.)

Dom
-and now Basics/Scouts are damn near $10.....