QC warning re: Sunstreaker and Prowl

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

QC warning re: Sunstreaker and Prowl

Post by Dominic »

I am posting this to let everyone know about potential problems with 2 figures I have actually graded highly.

Prowl: There are reports over at Shortpacked about some Prowl figures having paint that turns sticky in hot weather. I have not had this problem myself.

Sunstreaker: Be aware that the roof of the car/hood of the 'bot is molded in blue plastic and painted in chip/smear prone yellow. I had to replace my Sunstreaker recently because the roof paint chipped. And, I have seen smeared sigils.

Dom
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: QC warning re: Sunstreaker and Prowl

Post by JediTricks »

The paint on my Prowl came out of the package tacky. Specifically, the white paint on the clear front fenders.

I have yet to see a Sunstreaker who didn't have paint blobs or smears on the windshield/hood area. They weren't thinking very clearly going with a dark undercoat color.

Spotted a bunch of Tankors today, all had weak to worse paint on the plane mode tails.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

I'd heard aboout the issues with Prowl, luckily mine seems unaffected.

My Sunstreaker actually had a tiny paint chip right out of the packaging, it's a more common occurence with that type of application than you'd think (See: Cario Bros.). It doesn't bother me that much actually, it's not like it was a great paint-match to begin with. And I can at least appreciate the irony of Sunstreaker having a problem with his paint job. ;)
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Post by 138 Scourge »

BWprowl wrote:
And I can at least appreciate the irony of Sunstreaker having a problem with his paint job. ;)
This amuses me to no end. :lol:

Y'know, at this point, I think at least half the reason I bought Sunstreaker is to compare him unfavorably to Sideswipe.

My Prowl also seems to be okay. At times the paint almost feels sorta sticky, but I might just be convincing myself of that, since I'm sorta looking for it.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
CrossRook
Gestalt Combiner

Post by CrossRook »

Mine are fine, but I'll post as soon as either develop problems. Though the chipping really doesn't matter to me that much.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have seen Sunstreakers with paint *spattering* in the package, on the inside of the blister bubble.

I actually have a Prowl that is fine, and have a second, that I ordered as a back-up, on the way.

Dom
annhell
Ultra

Post by annhell »

Prowl's paint is definitely an issue for collectors in Singapore where the weather is hot and humid.

As for Sunstreaker, I think i'm gonna be patient and wait for Takara's version. Maybe I'll get another Prowl then too.
Will update you guys about any differences with those figures when the time comes.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I heard it was more a question of of early production run Prowls having the problem more than weather and climate causing it.

Either way, you information about the Japanese toys is appreciated in advance. (No pressure.)

Dom
CrossRook
Gestalt Combiner

Post by CrossRook »

I keep my toys in my humidless air conditioned room, so hopefully that will prevent any problems.
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

I'm definitely planning to get Takara's Prowl, the white unpainted shoulder launchers don't do it for me on Hasbro's. Sunstreaker I'll likely get Takara's flavour of too, but as I'm still planning the DIaclone parts-swap with a spare Sideswipe, may as well go Hasbro for that. Gives me something else to buy when they do finally come out here, heh.