Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
138 Scourge
Supreme-Class

Re: Universe Review Thread

Post by 138 Scourge »

Alternately, should any TF ever show up with a "138" on it, I can assume Hasbro loves me. Well, that's what I will assume, anyway.
Dominic wrote: too many people likely would have enjoyed it as....well a house-elf gang-bang.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Gomess wrote:It'd be like Nintendo thanking me for something by naming a Zelda boss after my username. Durrrrrr.
Waitaminute.

*Googles*

Holy shit. I'd always wondered where the hell your name came from anyway, and that it seemed awfully familiar. Now I know why.

The irony here is that I haven't gotten to that bit in Majora's Mask in years. I usually try to run through the game in a weekend, or something, and cop out somewhere in the Great Bay Temple.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Majora's Mask is the most disappointing Zelda game of all time. Yeah, more than Zelda II (I enjoyed it). It was an unbelievably deep and complex... rehash. Of a truly legendary work of brilliance. That's just not cool, Nintendo! Four dungeons and a MILLION sidequests do not a great game make.

Anyways, yeah, the Stone Tower mini-boss happens to be called Gomess, but I'm actually named after a kaiju from Ultraman-precursor ULTRA Q, which was basically the Japanese Twilight Zone. He was the Godzilla suit of the time, with (literal) frills!
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
donosaur
Gestalt Combiner

Post by donosaur »

Yeah, those frills didn't last long. Ultraman is an asshole.

And I've gotta stick up for MM. I feel like since Nintendo decided to not do the whole "save zelda/hyrule from ganondorf AGAIN" formula they were able to produce a really weird, engaging game. There's something strangely haunting and compelling about watching a world prepare to meet its end over and over and over again.
.................................................................................................................................................................... _,_,_..
...................................................................................................................................................................(..vvvvv
..................................................................................................................................................................(..../"/"
.........................................................................................................................................................(\.....(.....) )
......................................................................................................................................................... \ \../../hh hh
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Oh don't get me wrong, MM has theo- and sociological essays up the wazoo, but it was such a letdown for me after OoT. Matter of fact, only the Oracle subseries has come close to it since... I just don't get on with Twlight Princess. It's very very not Zelda, in my eyes. Maybe it's just that Link started shopping in the same clothes stores that Final Fantasy started using in FFIX, or something else, I dunno.

Jeez, do I like *any* new games?? >_>

*Goes back to Shin Megami Tensei and Guilty Gear*
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

See, I managed to enjoy MM not as an entirely new game, but 'as' the companion piece to OoT. The way I see it, OoT clearly had a bunch of content cut for tons of reasons--and the game ends up suffering slightly for it. Besides the Golden Skulltulas (bleah!), the Biggoron trading sequence (Easy) and the Heart Pieces (which is standard anyway) there's 'zero' sidequests in OoT. There's literally nothing to do but the main quest. MM, on the other hand, has a world 'teeming' with life that has 'tons' of sidequests to do, with (seemingly) real consequences to them if you don't partake--like how the aliens will abduct and torture Romani if you don't help her fight them at the end of the first day. Some of the sidequests even take the 'entire three days' to complete.

Also, Twilight Princess gets way better once you get past the bit with the stupid clothes. Swordfighting! On horseback!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Oh, okaay, I guess I'll go watch my buddy play Twilight Princess some more then...

Apologies for all the off-topicness. Can these new boards handle much spammage...?
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

They better. Really, I don't care--all this means is that there's a lull in us buying new Universe crap and talking about it.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

It sounds like Monzo earned getting his screen-name plastered on a toy. He did help out Hasbro. (Granted, if Hasbro stayed on the copyright ball in the first place, they would not have needed his help, but that just makes Monzo all the nicer for helping them.)

I can see what O86 is saying about Heavyload being an interesting idea. But, considering that the only place he is likely to show up is in some kind of fan-(wank)-club story, it might be better for the character to go unused. (The best the fan-club has done, aside from a few good bios which Heavyload already has, is some middling text stories.) And yeah, a redemption story would probably not be a good idea.

Dom
-rather likes "Zelda II: the Adventure of Link"
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Dominic wrote:I can see what O86 is saying about Heavyload being an interesting idea. But, considering that the only place he is likely to show up is in some kind of fan-(wank)-club story, it might be better for the character to go unused. (The best the fan-club has done, aside from a few good bios which Heavyload already has, is some middling text stories.) And yeah, a redemption story would probably not be a good idea.
The text stories are just alright--and that's because M Sipher writes all of it.
-rather likes "Zelda II: the Adventure of Link"
AoL was a 'great' concept held down by horrible, horrible gameplay. I like the 'concept,' it's just that leveling up is a pain in the royal ass when you can't simply run around in circles waiting for random battles where you can basically hit A.

Seriously, I can level in in most Final Fantasy games while reading a comic.