Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Universe Review Thread

Post by Dominic »

onslaught86 wrote:
Heavyload's box says he's Classic Series, not Cybertron Series, so he's a G1-universe character. If you want context..TFCC it is. On the plus side, that means Marvel continuity for the most part.

I was assuming that "Classics" lablel was an error, given the Minicon. Gah, I hope the fan-wank-club does not touch this character, as that might well ruin the toy for me. Of course, they seem high enough on the smell of "Shattered Glass" right now. I hate the concept, but if them sucking their own meth that much keeps them from ruining mass-market toys, then I will not complain.

Dom
-wonders why the heck anyone would get 2 of the same Ultra-scale toy. Kitbashing?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

There was never a G1 character named Heavy Load, was there? I remember Wideload, but not Heavy Load. He looks as if he might be loosely based off Mixmaster, given his use of chemicals and mixer truck mode.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

BWprowl wrote:...and ‘MONZO 12782’ printed on the sides of the hood, whatever that means (Is this the type of van he is? I’m no expert…)
This is a reference to TF fan Monzo, the lucky bastard. The number is his birthday. This is actually his second reference in a toy this year--the other is in Acid Storm's bio, which says he has a "hyperion3 cannon," which is Monzo's email.

Personally, I dunno why it didn't have, say, 686 on the side or something. We totally deserve it!
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

The Monzo thing is even more ridiculous, because it's a reference to a guy who took his username from a Transformer (well, Nebulan). It's hopelessly incestuous.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Oh, damn, I was gonna mention that but forgot to.

It almost screams of the Allspark Power Generation Station a bit.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have been saying for years the fandom was too insular, and now......this. Inbreeding.
andersonh1 wrote:There was never a G1 character named Heavy Load, was there? I remember Wideload, but not Heavy Load. He looks as if he might be loosely based off Mixmaster, given his use of chemicals and mixer truck mode.
I know there was a Minicon named Heavyload during "Cybertron". And one of the Build-team from "Robots in Disguise" had the name.

But, this seems to be a new character.

Dom
-tempted by Dropshot......
onslaught86

Post by onslaught86 »

Dominic wrote:I was assuming that "Classics" lablel was an error, given the Minicon. Gah, I hope the fan-wank-club does not touch this character, as that might well ruin the toy for me. Of course, they seem high enough on the smell of "Shattered Glass" right now. I hate the concept, but if them sucking their own meth that much keeps them from ruining mass-market toys, then I will not complain.

Dom
-wonders why the heck anyone would get 2 of the same Ultra-scale toy. Kitbashing?
I have mixed thoughts on this. I'd rather Heavy Load get SOME fictional appearances than none at all, since he really is a good character, and I like the idea of him fitting in with the other Classics characters. He's quirky and interesting, a primarily non-combatant Decepticon, always something I welcome. Could have a great story arc in him, as long as it's not focused on some half-assed redemption effort. He reminds me of TM2 Scourge, easily one of the best Beast-era characters, bio-wise.

Why get two? To display one in-box, or to modify one and have the other as backup. Bear in mind that this is my holy grail toy.
CrossRook
Gestalt Combiner

Post by CrossRook »

Monzo got those references because he warned Hasbro that they were going to lose some trademarks. They were like, "Oh shit. Thanks man, you just saved us a lot of face. We should put your name on a toy or something. You guys like that sort of self-referential stuff, right?".
Gomess
Supreme-Class

Post by Gomess »

Momentarily forgetting, of course, that Monzo was THEIR COPYRIGHT TO BEGIN WITH.

It'd be like Nintendo thanking me for something by naming a Zelda boss after my username. Durrrrrr.
COME TO TFVIEWS oh you already did
BWprowl
Supreme-Class

Post by BWprowl »

Man, I'm pretty much hosed if I ever help Hasbro out...