Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

Re: Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:24 amJazz is pretty great, right out of the cartoon, just needs a little more paint in both modes, and his legs do have hollowness syndrome, but overall quite right.
I see what you mean about hollow arms and legs. It doesn't detract from how the figure looks, thankfully, and it makes him surprisingly light. I think this may be my favorite version of Jazz ever, I love the cartoon-accurate appearance, the lack of door wings and how posable he is. Very nice!
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I haven't transformed Hot Rod to auto mode yet, but a few thoughts on the figure and accessories:

- Pretty good cartoon likeness, if not as "fuchsia" as the most recent movie remaster shows him. The colors are not a 100% 1 to 1 reproduction of the animation model, but I'd say he's 85-90%. A few more paint aps here and there would make a difference, but all in all, this is a great version of Hot Rod, probably my favorite of the modern versions.
- He comes with Hot Rod's typical two rifles, the Matrix, the spinning sawblade that can attach to his wrist, two soft blue plastic "laser blast" pieces that can attach to his guns, and a soft blue plastic "flare" that attaches to the Matrix.
- The top of his head can swing up to allow the "binocular" goggles he uses in the movie to fold down over his eyes.
- His hands are fists, as is standard, but the four fingers are hinged and he can open them to allow him to hold the Matrix. His arm and wrist joints are such that he can hold the Matrix in front of him or above his head with both hands to reproduce the Matrix opening pose. Very nice!

I'll have to comment on the transformation later, but this guy is a nice action figure with plenty of articulation even before transformation is added in. It's a great version of Hot Rod, and I'm glad to have it.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Hasbro Toy Shop on eBay had Cromar and Airwave half off with free shipping over $15. I already had Sixgun and wasn't the biggest fan of the mold, but I do like the weaponizers.

Cromar - colors are an improvement from Sixgun, deco makes this mold shine a little better too, a lot of black and silver paint going on. Tolerances are no worse except for the loose toes, but assembly on the head and one of the legs wasn't tip-top. The new head looks like a European clown, and coupled with the dark color scheme, makes him seem a lot more like a Decepticon than an Autobot. It's a shame they didn't bother giving him a unique alt mode, the fan modes outshine this whatevermobile quite easily. If you like the classic Cromar, you like Sixgun, you like clownbots, or just need 6 more passable guns, Cromar at $10 is worth getting.

Airwave - all new except the uppermost parts of the thighs and maybe the inner parts of the arms which would be borrowed from Brunt, Airwave has a unique look. Honestly, the light gray, orange, and blue colorscheme are vastly more reminiscent of an Autobot, aside from the pair of Decepticon logos tampoed to his arm kibble. His blocky look is fun, coupled with his ultra-squat head and you get something that cuts a distinctive path. He only has one hand, with a blaster assembly replacing his right one, and this might have been where an additional accessory rather than repeating the gun barrel accessory could have made him more fun. Unfortunately, design tolerances on some pegs cause parts to just fall off, which is no fun. His instructions leave out any weaponizer armor modes, instead enjoying 3 alt modes in diminishing results. The first mode is a dual-runway airport that's also a tank? It holds together well and is fairly clean. The second mode is an airport that's also an aircraft carrier that's a tank? Why does this thing have tank treads if you're not going to make an alt mode into a tank? The aircraft carrier is the official airport mode, but even Micromasters couldn't land at this airport without clipping the main building. It's got charm, but the arms being kibble that doesn't fill the space doesn't work well enough. Then there's the third mode, a lazy homage to the G1 airport accessory's weapon mode, this requires disassembling more of the figure and the end result is totally unrewarding and awkward, don't bother with this. Airwave if you're not into Micromasters is a bit of an odd duck, he has a fun bot mode yet none of his alt modes are interesting or cohesive on their own and he doesn't turn into a convincing pile of weaponizer parts. I am not sorry I have another bot to fill out my WFC Decepticon ranks, but he feels like he could have been better if he weren't trying his hardest to be a G1 homage first and a WFC toy second.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?