Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
JediTricks
Site Admin

Re: Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

Post by JediTricks »

Nice, I like SS86 Kup a fair bit, he's far from perfect but he's got charm.

Grimlock is pretty good, nice and big, but the crappy dark smoke chest and the non-clear neck, the dubious Wheelie all hold it back.

Hot Rod is good but not great due to a high pricetag, dubious vehicle mode that's low-slung but inaccurate, and limited shoulder design in bot mode.

Blurr is right on the line of being bad due to a terrible face sculpt, soft overall sculpting, and too much junk under the vehicle mode.

Jazz is pretty great, right out of the cartoon, just needs a little more paint in both modes, and his legs do have hollowness syndrome, but overall quite right.

I passed on Scourge.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

JediTricks wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:24 am Nice, I like SS86 Kup a fair bit, he's far from perfect but he's got charm.

Grimlock is pretty good, nice and big, but the crappy dark smoke chest and the non-clear neck, the dubious Wheelie all hold it back.

Hot Rod is good but not great due to a high pricetag, dubious vehicle mode that's low-slung but inaccurate, and limited shoulder design in bot mode.

Blurr is right on the line of being bad due to a terrible face sculpt, soft overall sculpting, and too much junk under the vehicle mode.

Jazz is pretty great, right out of the cartoon, just needs a little more paint in both modes, and his legs do have hollowness syndrome, but overall quite right.

I passed on Scourge.
Out of all the SS86 figures, Hot Rod and Jazz are the other two I really want. They haven't shown up around here yet, but I'm sure they will soon enough.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:02 am Out of all the SS86 figures, Hot Rod and Jazz are the other two I really want. They haven't shown up around here yet, but I'm sure they will soon enough.
I second that Jazz is awesome.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Scourge is amazing. I can't think of anything I don't like about him. And he pairs perfectly with Kingdom Cyclonus and they even pair really well with TR Galvatron. With Blurr... honestly, the face doesn't bother me. My only real complaint is the alt mode kibble being attached to the fists. They really didn't need to do that. But other than that, I think he displays very well in both modes. And here's the other thing (which I mentioned in the hauls thread): What's the alternative? Japanese TR which is at least double the cost or the original G1 figure. The US TR is cheaper but that endless sea of dark blue just looks terrible.

Is Jazz better than the RTS version? Because that's the Jazz I'm using in my collection right now. Which has great articulation and no feet sticking out of the back of the alt mode.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 am Is Jazz better than the RTS version? Because that's the Jazz I'm using in my collection right now. Which has great articulation and no feet sticking out of the back of the alt mode.
Looking at photos of RTS Jazz online, I'm going to say no. RTS Jazz looks at least as good as SS86 Jazz, if not better.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Ursus mellifera wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:57 am
Shockwave wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 am Is Jazz better than the RTS version? Because that's the Jazz I'm using in my collection right now. Which has great articulation and no feet sticking out of the back of the alt mode.
Looking at photos of RTS Jazz online, I'm going to say no. RTS Jazz looks at least as good as SS86 Jazz, if not better.
Yeah I'm gonna stick with RTS then. I've also customized mine with a chrome pen on the grill, chest, speakers and wheels.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Shockwave wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:46 pm Yeah I'm gonna stick with RTS then. I've also customized mine with a chrome pen on the grill, chest, speakers and wheels.
I love those chrome pens, man.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 amIs Jazz better than the RTS version? Because that's the Jazz I'm using in my collection right now. Which has great articulation and no feet sticking out of the back of the alt mode.
It depends on what you want, if you want a Jazz figure straight from the cartoon, SS86 is a figure you cannot beat. It's better than the RTS in bot mode accuracy, expression, better proportions, the ability to hide the door wings, and more accurate alt mode despite the rear shoes showing. It's not as filled out behind the legs or in the forearms, it doesn't connect to the G1 toy as well as the RTS, but ultimately I'm gonna go with the SS86 version.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

JediTricks wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:06 pm
Shockwave wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:22 amIs Jazz better than the RTS version? Because that's the Jazz I'm using in my collection right now. Which has great articulation and no feet sticking out of the back of the alt mode.
It depends on what you want, if you want a Jazz figure straight from the cartoon, SS86 is a figure you cannot beat. It's better than the RTS in bot mode accuracy, expression, better proportions, the ability to hide the door wings, and more accurate alt mode despite the rear shoes showing. It's not as filled out behind the legs or in the forearms, it doesn't connect to the G1 toy as well as the RTS, but ultimately I'm gonna go with the SS86 version.
Ok. That was good information, thank you. I generally like my Jazz to have door wings and cartoon accuracy isn't a big deal to me. So yeah, I'm going to stick with what I have. Plus, I haven't seen SS86 Jazz around here anyway.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Glad to be able to help.

Got Rattrap as I mentioned in the other thread, better than I expected even if beast mode is static and there are a few things that should lock in place which don't.

SS86 Scourge - got this for $19 at Target with the help of coupons and discounts and my store's lower price on Voyager-class. It's an interesting figure, gets a lot of the animation feel right, but the alt mode isn't even fully covered up on the bottom and just has robot legs sticking out the back, while the robot mode has a kibbly backpack and a left thumb that seems determined to snap off.