Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Gustavo
Minibot

Re: Universe2.0/Generations Review Thread

Post by Gustavo »

Shockwave wrote:Yeah, actually I'm gonna disagree there, Shockwave is really the best of the three, with Optimus a close second and Jazz actually being the worst of the three.
I'd have to agree. Shockwave is a pretty awesome toy, aside from the size.

I don't mind the new alt-mode -- it seems to fit the character. Sure, he's not officially G1 Shockwave, but Hasbro is clearly blurring the lines with their FOC toys, so I am happy to consider him either G1 or TF:Prime Shockwave as the mood strikes.

But he shouldn't be smaller than Cyclonus. Ideally, he would have been a Voyager, and about the size of Classics Megatron, but at the very least he should have been a full sized deluxe. As it is, I shall keep him with Scouts, Basics and Legends, so he can tower above them.

I hope someday we get a proper Generations Shockwave -- a remold of Generations Jazz, in purple, with the hand gun and head.
I'm not wearing any pants.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

They did that! It was just named Longarm.

Shockwave would be great if he were bigger, and a little more complicated. But he isn't, so he sucks.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

Gustavo wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Yeah, actually I'm gonna disagree there, Shockwave is really the best of the three, with Optimus a close second and Jazz actually being the worst of the three.
I'd have to agree. Shockwave is a pretty awesome toy, aside from the size.

I don't mind the new alt-mode -- it seems to fit the character. Sure, he's not officially G1 Shockwave, but Hasbro is clearly blurring the lines with their FOC toys, so I am happy to consider him either G1 or TF:Prime Shockwave as the mood strikes.

But he shouldn't be smaller than Cyclonus. Ideally, he would have been a Voyager, and about the size of Classics Megatron, but at the very least he should have been a full sized deluxe. As it is, I shall keep him with Scouts, Basics and Legends, so he can tower above them.

I hope someday we get a proper Generations Shockwave -- a remold of Generations Jazz, in purple, with the hand gun and head.
IMHO,all the FOC wave deluxes are garbage. FOC Deluxe Jazz looks like a 2005 Cybertron Hotshot wannabe toy. FOC deluxe Optimus looks like the Hasbro marvel cross-over hulk that transformed into a tank. FOC deluxe Shockwave is a weak design in both modes.

Classics/RTS/Generations ruins a big majority of the TF toys by putting them in the wrong size classes. Galvatron,scourge & cyclonus should have been ultra or voyager sized toys not deluxes. Thunderwing needed to be a ultra to make a minicon/legends/basic sized inner robot fit inside his torso body cavity.

Honestly I think that FOC Shockwave design was awful in both modes. no amount of up-sizing it into a voyager or ultra could have made that ugly design look decent.

IMHO,The best new mold Shockwave toy released these past 10 years was Energon Shockblast & even then that toy isn't that great. All of the shockwave newer toys released this past 10 years are more miss than hit.

Titanium 6 inch G-1 Shockwave had potential of being the best Newer shockwave toy released this past 10 years. But ofcause Hasbro cancelled the toy. Hasbro cancelled the Titanium 6 inch,classics 1.0 & Alternators so the 2007 Movie toys could take top priority in stores. How ironic cancelling 3 decent TF toy lines so the crappy movie verse toys could be the main focus in 2007.
Gustavo
Minibot

Post by Gustavo »

Onslaught Six wrote:They did that! It was just named Longarm.
Longarm is TF:Animated, and there really aren't many TF:Animated molds that could ever fit in with Classics/Generations. I really can't think of any, since the design elements are too different.
Shockwave would be great if he were bigger, and a little more complicated. But he isn't, so he sucks.
I don't see why he would need to be more complex -- a little bigger would make him fit in with older toys better. I really don't like the Great Downsizing.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Or you might be thinking of the custom Longarm that Dom did. The only official reuse of the Jazz mold for Shockwave was the Botcon Custom class figure.
Onslaught Six
Supreme-Class

Post by Onslaught Six »

Shockwave wrote:

Or you might be thinking of the custom Longarm that Dom did. The only official reuse of the Jazz mold for Shockwave was the Botcon Custom class figure.
Gustavo! wrote:Longarm is TF:Animated, and there really aren't many TF:Animated molds that could ever fit in with Classics/Generations. I really can't think of any, since the design elements are too different.
Nope--I was referring to the Botcon custom class Longarm that Shocktrek talks about above.

Here, just look at it.
BWprowl wrote:The internet having this many different words to describe nerdy folks is akin to the whole eskimos/ice situation, I would presume.
People spend so much time worrying about whether a figure is "mint" or not that they never stop to consider other flavours.
Gustavo
Minibot

Post by Gustavo »

Onslaught Six wrote:
Shockwave wrote:
Nope--I was referring to the Botcon custom class Longarm that Shocktrek talks about above.

Here, just look at it.
That is beautiful. Replace the Autobot symbols with Decepticon, and we have a winner. Alternators Shockwave and Grimlock were my favorites from that line...
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Y'know, I got an extra GDO Wheelie, I might just remold a Shockwave out of that.

Y'know, after I'm done remolding the Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen and the Red Alert/Sideswipe molds.
Tigermegatron
Supreme-Class

Post by Tigermegatron »

I don't like nor care about any of the Botcon convention/club toys. because I refuse to support the Botcon scalpers on ebay. I also dislike the way TFCC/Fun pub runs their company,I view them as scalpers & ruthless businessmen.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Shockwave wrote:Did you and I buy the same toy? Because my Jazz locks together in both modes. There's pegs and holes for everything. The chest is held together with a couple of slots just beneath the neck and the back actually pegs into the backside of the waist. The arms snap into place on the sides of the chest...
Sorry for the delay, it's been a challenging few months. The torso is what I'm talking about, the back tab doesn't have any friction to the peg so it pulls away very easily, and then the front torso segment has weak sets of tabs so when the back goes, the lock-tabs at the shoulders get removed and the front of the torso goes too.
Shockwave wrote:Yeah, actually I'm gonna disagree there, Shockwave is really the best of the three, with Optimus a close second and Jazz actually being the worst of the three. Shockwave also has everything lock together in both modes and doesn't look disproportioned in either mode. Optimus looks pretty decent in both modes as well, but has a couple of kibbly bits under his arm that don't lock down anywhere. Jazz's chest is hugely disproportionate to the rest of the figure. It's to the point that I don't even really like to display it in robot mode. It's not horribly offensive, but it's still noticeably bad. I'm also not a fan of the faux wheels.
Agreed on those points all around, and I'd also point out that Jazz's torso is woefully gappy from the top, sides, and back.

That custom class Longarm/Shockwave is really cool, I hadn't seen that before. I don't understand why Hasbro doesn't do more retail stuff like that.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?