Shattered Glass II

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Shattered Glass II

Post by Dominic »

I plan to post more about this.

It looks like IDW, a company that went out of its way to be contrarian, is closing out with a largely conventional, and generally competent, run of comics.

At a thematic level, it works for 'Glass. The premise of "reverse universe" lends itself to the kind of obnoxiousness that defined much of IDW's time with the license. But, contrary to expectations, "Shattered Glass" (and thus far, the sequel), has been the most consistently good thing that IDW has released in *years*. (As much as I liked Ruckley's 2019 run, it was diminished by the art.)
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 3

Post by Dominic »

The 3rd issue of "Shattered Glass II" is also the 3rd from final issue of IDW's run with the license. Much like the previous 2 issues (and the previous "Shattered Glass"), this issue rests on the sort of base-level competence that has been lacking at IDW for most of the last 10 years (since "Dark Cybertron"). If this has been the norm, IDW would probably still have the license.

The third issue focuses mostly on Wheeljack/Slicer, specifically his ambivalence about the war and his place in it. The idea seems to rest on the fact that Wheeljack's alternate color scheme (and name in "Shattered Glass" is a reference to an obscure recolor of Wheeljack, Slicer. (Slicer was marketed as a Decepticon.)

Better than it has any reason to be.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: Shattered Glass II

Post by Dominic »

Just going to do a quick infodump. (Life has been busy of late. Things are okay. But, I do not have time to post as regularly as I might like.)

Issue 4 focuses on Flamewar (the BotCon character). Lore does a good job of keeping the character's defining traits (being mouthy) recognizable, but applying them to a heroic character.

Issue 5 focuses on Soundwave. Lore takes the utterly despicable Decepticon from the original tech specs, and flips him in to being ridiculously heroic. The effect is similar to what Lore did with Starscream in the first IDW "Shattered Glass" series. And, it work. Plenty of great moments in this issue.

Over-all, volume 2 works better as a series than the first volume (which was focused more on single issues). But, it does not hold up as well as single issues. (Ultra Magnus's story in issue 1 does not pay off until issue 5.) Wheeljack/Slicer got the most attention. Lore used every previous iteration of Wheeljack (G1, Aligned, Unicron Trilogy). It is easy to miss how much effort put in to making the character work.

I actually ordered Slicer.

Slicer: (car/robot)
Good recolor of the 2020 "Earthrise" Wheeljack mold in blue/grey/purple. (There is a concept art using a lighter grey, in reference to the Unicron Trilogy Wheeljack switching sides. But, the toy uses a darker grey.) There is a Decepticon sigil on Slicer's shoulder. The sigil is painted using a reddish-purple that is common on "Shattered Glass" figures that share color schemes with mainline (if obscure) G1 character. Given how the series ends, Slicer being a Decepticon is arguably a spoiler.

Slicer is packed with Exo-Suit, a recolor of 2021 "Kingdoms" Fastback (the partsforming Weaponizer) in pink/red. The colors evoke the original Slicer's power suit. (Exo-suit is packed very economically as accessories, not as an individual figure.) Not a bad mold. And, the colors make sense. But, I would have preferred Sixgun in Metrotitan colors (which would have complimented Slicer's colors and a plot point in "Shattered Glass II".

Issue 5 of "Shattered Glass II" is the last thing that IDW will publish with the license.