rumor: IDW to lose Transformers license in 2022?

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: rumor: IDW to lose Transformers license in 2022?

Post by Dominic »

How did Barber leave? (Was he shown the door, or did he scoot out the door?)

If not for the other rumors, this would not be a serious concern.

If this does turn out to be true, I'll be pissed, honestly. There's no reason I can think of for Hasbro to pull the license and, according to the owner of my comic shop, it does well in sales.
Based on sales numbers, and what I have been seeing locally, your store might be an outlier. Around here, Joe and TF are ordered for subsribers and maybe a few shelf copies (for the entire chain).
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Image Comics to be the new publisher for Transformers and GI Joe?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/image-c ... nd-gi-joe/

"Last week, spinning out of San Diego Comic-Con, Bleeding Cool reported that Hasbro was pulling both their Transformers and GI Joe licenses from IDW in 2022 – and presumably My Little Pony, Action Force, Dungeons & Dragons, Jem And The Holograms, and ROM as well, though we had no clarification on those. We also reported that John Barber, editor-in-chief of IDW Publishing was leaving the company – and John Barber was a former IDW Hasbro Group Editor at IDW, as well as a former Marvel editor. Shoes seemed to be falling everywhere.

We have now learned that the most likely place to find new Transformers and GI Joe comic books later into 2022, will be Image Comics. Image was a previous publisher of GI Joe comic books when Devil's Due Press published through them, and they published Dreamwave Comics titles before Dreamwave split to publish Transformers comic before going bankrupt, owing Hasbro millions. Presumably, there will be some added protections this time. Image Comics is best known these days as a publisher of solely creator-owned comic books but with the various studios, that is not always the case. I don't know whether the production will be through an existing Partner studio that publish through Image such as Top Cow, Todd McFarlane Studios, Silverline, Highbrow or Skybound. It may be set up like an independent studio through Image Comics such as the Netflix-owned Millarworld, or these new creator imprints such as that from former IDW EIC Chris Ryall and Ashley Wood. Or something else entirely.

As for whether that will also include titles such as My Little Pony or Dungeons & Dragons, as well as Transformers and GI Joe that is still unknown. But it might make for something to grab attention by Image Comics during their 30th Anniversary. Something more, that is. Image Comics did not respond to inquiries made earlier today, and IDW has not responded to any inquiries regarding this made by Bleeding Cool over the last week."
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The real question now is who the creative team will be.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Welp, it looks like I'm out, then. I'm not sitting through the TF origin story again so soon.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'd be more interested in their sources, as it seems like this is speculation since neither Image nor IDW directly has commented on this. Makes me wonder who the creative team for this story is.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The latest rumor is that Skybound is looking to pick up the TF and Joe licenses.

If this specific rumor is true, I might be done. (I am not a fan of Kirkman, stylistically or conceptually.)

https://www.cbr.com/skybound-robert-kir ... otiations/
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:48 am The latest rumor is that Skybound is looking to pick up the TF and Joe licenses.

If this specific rumor is true, I might be done. (I am not a fan of Kirkman, stylistically or conceptually.)

https://www.cbr.com/skybound-robert-kir ... otiations/
They say Kirkman won't be writing it, if that helps.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Skybound is still Kirkman's studio, which means his influence will be there.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

So Barber is gone, though he says it's been planned for a while.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2021/12/16/joh ... ore-446767

"Hi all… I’m not much of a poster here (I plan to turn that around in the new year) but here’s a big update from me: Tomorrow will be my last day working at IDW. It’s not sudden, having been planned for a while now, of course. It’s been a wild past couple years, in terms of life and world events, and I’m very happy and excited to start the next phase of things. I’ve worked at IDW far, far longer than I have anywhere else, making friendships and forging professional relationships that will last a lifetime. Thanks to everybody who’s been there, on-staff or outside. I wish all my IDW friends nothing but the best! Thanks also to our creative partners, whether they’re individual creators or the people working at huge corporations. Again, lifelong friendships have emerged and I couldn’t have hoped for a better set of people to work with—I’ll miss the day-to-day interaction, but it’s a small world, and I’m sure we’ll see each other again soon. Meanwhile, I’m off to pursue new creative endeavors and I’m feeling extremely energized about the future! Happy holidays!"
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

This news has sucked all the way through, and hearing it's Image of all companies getting the license just feels like such a bad fit. I'm really sorry to see Barber go.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?