rumor: IDW to lose Transformers license in 2022?

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: rumor: IDW to lose Transformers license in 2022?

Post by Dominic »

I associate Barber with a downgrade at IDW. But, he was probably just executing somebody else's bad idea.

The right editorial studio at Image could work for "Transformers". Unfortunately, Kirkman's studio is not the right one.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

It's no longer a rumor, IDW has announced they're losing the license.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... 235078466/
While rumors painted the loss of the rights in immediate brushstrokes, the company still plans to put out a year’s worth of Joe and Transformers stories and comics.

The monthly Transformers series will wrap up by mid-summer, while the Transformers: Beast Wars series, too, will come to its conclusion this summer. That will lead to two new miniseries events. The company will also publish a variety of special one-shot projects spotlighting heroes and villains from across Transformers history.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The TF mini is "War's End". That starts in the next month or two, which matches up with the mid-summer time-line.

The one-shots are "Best of.." reprints.
JediTricks
Site Admin

Post by JediTricks »

Thanks for posting the news, Anderson. I woke up and realized I wanted that news on the front page. It's a shame that after so long, Hasbro's pulling these licenses while leaving others with the company. And losing Barber, someone who really cared about telling these characters' stories as people first and war machines second, I can only hope the next licensee will try as hard.

Oh wait it's Image, well it's been a nice run but that's over now.
See, that one's a camcorder, that one's a camera, that one's a phone, and they're doing "Speak no evil, See no evil, Hear no evil", get it?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Image itself is not inherently bad. Although, I will agree that Kirkman's studio does not inspire confidence (even discounting his reportedly unethical practices).

In fairness to Hasbro, IDW's sales have been declining steadily. And, since "Dark Cybertron", the license has been on the wrong track, with a hard split between Tumblr-grade naval-gazing and retro-generic....stuff. As much as I like the current series, it is not drawing readers. And, some of it is the millenial ponciness.

I am not optimistic about Kirkman's studio getting the license. But, it was not working at IDW.

I hope for an editorial hand like Rob Tokar's, a writer like Saracinni, and an artist the caliber of Coller or Su. (These are base-level hopes, and I will take higher.)

(IDW's "GI Joe" comics were either retro-grade, with Hama not growing as a writer since 1990 or so) or deviated from anything recognizable as "GI Joe".)
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I figure if I want the hardcover collections, get 'em as they're published. Time's running out...

Do I have the emotional reservoirs to start all over again with a new continuity, particularly after liking the current effort more than anything since Dreamwave? Yeah, probably.... I'll give it a shot.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:57 pm Image itself is not inherently bad. Although, I will agree that Kirkman's studio does not inspire confidence (even discounting his reportedly unethical practices).

In fairness to Hasbro, IDW's sales have been declining steadily. And, since "Dark Cybertron", the license has been on the wrong track, with a hard split between Tumblr-grade naval-gazing and retro-generic....stuff. As much as I like the current series, it is not drawing readers. And, some of it is the millenial ponciness.

I am not optimistic about Kirkman's studio getting the license. But, it was not working at IDW.

I hope for an editorial hand like Rob Tokar's, a writer like Saracinni, and an artist the caliber of Coller or Su. (These are base-level hopes, and I will take higher.)

(IDW's "GI Joe" comics were either retro-grade, with Hama not growing as a writer since 1990 or so) or deviated from anything recognizable as "GI Joe".)
What were Kirkman's unethical practices?

Also, I'm still in. What I've read from Image before was pretty good and I'll give any book with TF on it a shot before deciding not to get it. But I am disappointed that this current run didn't go longer. I at least wanted to see the TFs get to Earth.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Kirkman has reportedly stiff a few artists out of royalties.

Image is not a unified company, like Marvel and DC. They are more a set of studios that are generally independent of each other. Titles vary greatly between editorial studios. Kirkman is the guy who gave use "Walking Dead".

Ah well, at least TF is not going to Avatar Press.