rumor: IDW to lose Transformers license in 2022?

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
andersonh1

rumor: IDW to lose Transformers license in 2022?

Post by andersonh1 »

It's Bleeding Cool, so take it with a grain of salt:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/idw-to- ... e-in-2022/

"Over the weekend at San Diego Comic-Con 2021: Special Edition, there was plenty to talk about the state of the comic book industry as it stands, as well as the many moves that have been happening of late and will be happening in the very near future. And as big publishers chose not to attend the show, it meant that there was much less management of the information that flowed. One such nugget was the news that IDW Publishing, based just up the road in San Diego, is to lose their licence to produce comic books based on the Transformers franchise from Hasbro.

Back in August, Bleeding Cool broke the news on IDW losing the Marvel Action kids line of titles, which IDW then confirmed, and the Star Wars All-Ages line – which IDW did not reply to, but that Dark Horse Comics claimed last month.

IDW did not respond to inquiries made earlier today, on this, or a number of related stories. If true, there is also no date as to when this may occur but on current form, I would expect in the summer of 2022."
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Re: rumor: IDW to lose Transformers license in 2022?

Post by Dominic »

Rumor, yes. But, if Bleeding Cool called similar changes in the recent past, it is worrisome.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Dominic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:42 pm Rumor, yes. But, if Bleeding Cool called similar changes in the recent past, it is worrisome.
It is worrisome, and I hope not true. I'm really enjoying the current series and don't want to see it end any time soon.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

andersonh1 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:44 pm
Dominic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:42 pm Rumor, yes. But, if Bleeding Cool called similar changes in the recent past, it is worrisome.
It is worrisome, and I hope not true. I'm really enjoying the current series and don't want to see it end any time soon.
I can't do another reboot, man. Not this soon.

I CAN'T do it, MAN!
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

Yeah, I'm not sure I have the energy for starting over again either. Let's hope the rumor doesn't pan out.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I am still reading comics, so I would be willing to give "Transformers" another shot, depending on creative team and direction. (Though, removing "Transformers" removes an ongoing series from my pull-file. The only other 2 are published by DC, so those are unlikely to last more than a year or so.)

IDW has had the license for 15+ years. It was not all good. It was not all bad. Reboots can be healthy. And, Marvel proved that they are often necessary. (After about a decade, "Ultimates" needed a reboot, despite being intended as being ever-green.)

lDW is the first license holder to being "Transformers" to an ending (2005-2018) that was not mandated by losing the license (and less rushed over-all).

3+ years is longer than the license lasted with Dreamwave, and longer than some runs have been at other publishers. (Furman's US run was ~2 years.)

The current series is good. But, the art has kept it from being something truly great, despite some of the best writing that I have seen on TF in years.
Last edited by Dominic on Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:27 pm The current series is good. But, the art has kept it from being something truly great, despite some of the best writing that I have seen on TF in years.)
I think I'm done if this run gets cancelled, barring some spectacular art AND story from a reboot. I mean, it'll have to impress the crap out of all y'all if I'm going to get it at this point.
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Been looking around other forums. Nothing more than the basic rumor, but with some added speculation about where the comics would go.

The most realistic guesses are either Boom! Studios or some kind of digital only model.

I have heard that Boom! does well with the Power Ranger license (a Hasbro property). And, their WWE comics have been good (when I can find them).

As long as the next run with the license did not have the shipping that has characterized IDW, and (hopefully) better art, I would likely stick around for it.

Digital only would put me off the hobby.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

If this does turn out to be true, I'll be pissed, honestly. There's no reason I can think of for Hasbro to pull the license and, according to the owner of my comic shop, it does well in sales. BUT, as pissed as I would be, I would still follow it where ever it goes. I've stuck with this franchise in comics through some of it's most dubious offerings, I'm not giving up now. The only time I've ever passed on something with TF on it was the last TF/GI Joe crossover with the really shitty art. Still, count my in with the "I'm enjoying what's current, hope it's not true" crowd.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

More possible bad news for IDW? John Barber rumored to be out as IDWs EiC.