Transformers: Legacy

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers: Legacy

Post by Sparky Prime »

Legacy Armada Starscream and Beast Wars Inferno have been revealed.

Inferno I think might be a little mis-transformed in these photos, as it looks like the ant head should split down the middle in robot mode. Not a fan of the faux ant legs on his robot mode legs, his abdomen only splits into three blades rather than four, and the weapon he comes with appears to be based on the thrusters that's supposed to be in the middle of the abdomen. I do like the overall look of the figure though. Both robot and ant modes looks good and is... relatively more show accurate than the original toy. I like the articulated jaw for his robot head, that's a nice touch.

We got an Armada Starscream a few years ago, I'm not really sure we need another so soon... Although that was a deluxe and this is a Voyager. This one also comes with the Minicon (non-transforming) Starsaber sword.

Edit: Some product details have been released:
Transformers Legacy Voyager Armada Starscream

• TRANSFORMERS ARMADA-INSPIRED DESIGN: This Transformers: Legacy 7-inch Armada Universe Starscream robot toy is inspired by the animated series, Transformers: Armada, updated with a Generations-style design
• UNIVERSES COLLIDE: Universes collide with Transformers: Legacy! This epic line of Transformers toys brings together fan-favorite characters from across the Transformers multiverse
• 2 EPIC MODES: Action figure converts from robot to jet mode in 18 steps. Features articulated jet turbines and comes with a Star Saber sword accessory inside by the animated series
• HARNESS THE POWER OF ENERGON: Gear up with the most powerful substance on Cybertron: Energon! This Armada Universe Starscream figure comes with an Energon sword accessory that attaches with both modes
• SCAN THE CODE: Scan the code on each package to reveal character tech specs from across the multiverse! Collect other Legacy figures to reveal their character tech specs (each sold separately, subject to availabili

Transformers Legacy Voyager Predacon Inferno

• BEAST WARS INSPIRED DESIGN: This Transformers: Legacy 7-inch Predacon Inferno robot toy is inspired by the animated series, Beast Wars: Transformers, updated with a Generations-style design
• UNIVERSES COLLIDE: Universes collide with Transformers: Legacy! This epic line of Transformers toys brings together fan-favorite characters from across the Transformers multiverse
• 2 EPIC MODES: Action figure converts from robot to fire ant mode in 26 steps. Features articulated mandibles, robot mode jaw, and realistic fire ant textures
• HARNESS THE POWER OF ENERGON: Gear up with the most powerful substance on Cybertron: Energon! This Predacon Inferno figure comes with a blaster accessory that attaches with both modes
• SCAN THE CODE: Scan the code on each package to reveal character tech specs from across the multiverse! Collect other Legacy figures to reveal their character tech specs (each sold separately, subject to availability)
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I want to like that Starscream more than I do. But, the lack of a Minicon is enough to make me lose interest. (Points for including the Star Saber. But, even so, that just accents the lack of a proper Minicon.)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Transmetal 2 Megatron was officially revealed at SDCC today, along with Skullgrin, Blanker (Pointblank), Crankcase, Dead End, Armada Starscream, BW Inferno and a Pulse exclusive set of Orion Pax and Alpha Trion with Vector Sigma.

Some of the proportions on Megatron are a little off, not sure why they changed his face so much and they've used the wrong colors on some parts... But still, overall I like the look of the new figure. It's a nice update and is somewhat more show accurate compared to the original figure. I came across a picture of the back of the box, and oddly, they used the Predacon symbol from Transformers Prime on it.

Edit: Official images are up.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Transmetal 2 Megatron:
Not seeing the issue with the face. Looks fine, if not fantastic, to me. The off-brand sigils are a bad choice. (This is the second time that "Legacy" has turned me from a price point that I liked, with Motormaster being the first Commander scale figure that I am actively avoiding.) *edit: just looked more closely. I cannot see the sigil. But, the robot face is awful. Just got easier to skip.

Skullgrin:
I want to like this. I do not. I cannot. (I want good Pretenders. No more "shell is the robot mode". Do the damned things right, or do not bother.)

Blanker/Pointblank:
No excuse to make a Target Master without their gun. (If a character should have a Minicon or a Nebulan, the new figure should include them.)

Crankcase:
Good for people who like a relatively obscure character.

Dead End:
Looks good. And, Deadend is the sort of character that *somebody* is going to be happy about. But, Dragstrip is less than it should be, and Motormaster is awful. So, unless Deadend is a specific favorite, there is not much incentive to buy this as a combiner limb.

Armada Starscream:
Like Pointblank and the (previously revealed) Metroplex, Starscream is missing his Minicon. (I would have bought this one.)

BW Inferno:
Looks good. "Beast Wars" fans have reason to be happy.

Pulse exclusive Orion Pax and Alpha Trion with Vector Sigma:
Looks really good. Not getting one. But, it looks really good.
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:53 amNot seeing the issue with the face. Looks fine, if not fantastic, to me. The off-brand sigils are a bad choice. (This is the second time that "Legacy" has turned me from a price point that I liked, with Motormaster being the first Commander scale figure that I am actively avoiding.) *edit: just looked more closely. I cannot see the sigil. But, the robot face is awful. Just got easier to skip.
The incorrect faction symbol is on the back of the box. I can't see if the figure itself has a faction symbol. The helmet is covering where it should be on his forehead, and the view of his spark chamber in beast mode isn't clear enough to see if they put one there. Hopefully if the figure has one, they used the correct symbol.

The face shouldn't have the cheekbone detail it has, and should be purple rather than silver. I have to wonder if they were trying to make him look a bit more like G1 Megatron here. Which I have to admit, I think would have been a cool idea with how BW Megs achieved this form to take on more traits of his namesake... but given they've been going for more show accuracy with these figures, I don't understand why they'd deviate from that.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I am all in for Megatron. It's my favorite version of Megatron. I hated having to get rid of my original TMII, so this would be a great opportunity to get one. As for the face, if I'm not mistaken, the original figure's face was white, so the color doesn't bother me. I also think he had that weird evil grin too, so they were obviously homaging elements from the original toy. I have yet to see a faction logo on the figure itself and I really don't care what logo they put on the box (although that is weird to have the Prime logo there). If they screw that up somehow, I'll just put a reprolabel over it like I did with Trypticon.

Skullgrin was one of the few pretenders that I had and I'm happy with any kind of update for him. A lot of the figures from previous lines (ESPECIALLY near the end of G1) were gimmicks and I don't necessarily need the gimmick in the updated figure. So I'm fine with "shell is the robot mode". The original gimmick wasn't even pulled off that well anyway, so I'm perfectly happy to see Hasbro not bothering to try to replicate it. "Master" figures are a different beast though, since Hasbro has historically included the master (head, target, power) with said updates in some way. The update of Powermaster Prime had Hi-Q as his headmaster rather than his engine. Some versions of Cyclonus have come with his targetmaster. So yeah, I would expect that in any kind of targetmaster update. Or if they're not going to release them together, do what they did in Siege and release the targetmasters separately. As for minicons, almost all of the UT Updates have had the minicons omitted so I'm expecting that trend to continue. If they do decide to update the minicon characters, they'll likely be released individually at their own price point.

Inferno. I'm in, IF I can find it. I never found Scorponok, and Terrorsaur is supposed to be released to Target sometime in the future. But so far, the Predicon side of my BW shelf is largely filled in with duplicates and obscurities (I have a Japanese TM Megs next to Kingdom and Shadow Panther). I also kind fudge it a bit by having Dinobot in the middle between Megs and Primal. So yeah, my Preds need some help. But, I'm not gonna go out of my way or spend a lot of money to do so.

Stunticons: SIGH! Yeah, I want to like this. I really do. BUT I don't. I did see a review of Motormaster that shows the Menasor legs actually do have Combiner Wars ports in them, so you could use CW Stunticons on the legs. But as far as I know, there are no such ports on the arms. If there were, that would change my mind. I never had a problem with the CW Stunticon limbs, Motormaster's Menasor form was the thing that biffed that version for me. So if this had that functionality, I'd be in. But half assing it like that... yeah, I'm out.

Still gotta find that new Core Shockwave though.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

The Megatron face is just wrong. It does not look like the cartoon or the original toy. (It looks more like the 2001 "Robots in Disguise" Megatron.)

The original gimmick wasn't even pulled off that well anyway, so I'm perfectly happy to see Hasbro not bothering to try to replicate it.
That is part of what annoys me. Hasbro has never even tried to do this gimmick well. And, for the last 15 years, toy design has been at a point where it could be done well. Hasbro could easily make a shell figure with some articulation, and a competently designed inner-bot.

I never found Scorponok, and Terrorsaur is supposed to be released to Target sometime in the future.
There is going to be a Target exclusive Scorponok this fall. (Just do not expect much from the figure.)

Stunticons: SIGH! Yeah, I want to like this. I really do. BUT I don't. I did see a review of Motormaster that shows the Menasor legs actually do have Combiner Wars ports in them, so you could use CW Stunticons on the legs. But as far as I know, there are no such ports on the arms. If there were, that would change my mind. I never had a problem with the CW Stunticon limbs, Motormaster's Menasor form was the thing that biffed that version for me. So if this had that functionality, I'd be in. But half assing it like that... yeah, I'm out.
That last two Stunticon sets were ruined by Motormaster. (Bonus, he is my favorite member of team.....)
Sparky Prime
Supreme-Class

Post by Sparky Prime »

Shockwave wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:43 amAs for the face, if I'm not mistaken, the original figure's face was white, so the color doesn't bother me.
The original toy had a black face. Which, wasn't show accurate either, but the darker color was a better approximation and looked better in comparison to this silver faced version.

I'm thinking of trying modeling putty to try and smooth out the cheeks and repainting with a metallic purple...
I have yet to see a faction logo on the figure itself and I really don't care what logo they put on the box (although that is weird to have the Prime logo there). If they screw that up somehow, I'll just put a reprolabel over it like I did with Trypticon.
The wrong faction symbol on the box doesn't really bother me, but it is pretty sad on Hasbro's part that they used the wrong symbol. Nobody on their team caught that? Why'd they even use that symbol when they've been using the correct BW Predacon faction symbol for all the other figures in the Kingdom/Legacy lines?

I really hope they didn't put the wrong symbol on the figure, if they gave it one. That'd mean even more people on their team missed something that should have been caught...
and Terrorsaur is supposed to be released to Target sometime in the future.
It's out now. I saw it at a local Target the other day.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Sparky Prime wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:12 pmThe original toy had a black face. Which, wasn't show accurate either, but the darker color was a better approximation and looked better in comparison to this silver faced version.

It's out now. I saw it at a local Target the other day.
Yeah, I saw that after I posted this. Oh well, not the first time I've been wrong. And the face on this one still doesn't bother me.

Awesome! I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully I'll see one and actually have money for it at the same time.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Target Exclusives

Post by Dominic »

Target has a set of cross-branded "Legacy" figures shipping in Buzzworthy packaging.

Terrorsaur: recolor of the recent Pulse exclusive. Hasbro is making an honest effort of getting Terrorsaur out, despite distribution issues. The Target exclusive is painted to evoke the original toy, rather than the cartoon. Neither great nor terrible, "Buzzworthy" Terrorsaur is worth getting if you have a fondness for the character (as I do) or are trying to round out a Beast-era shelf.

Dinobot: This is a recolor and head-swap of the "Kingdom" Dinobot from last year. Hasbro managed to take one of the worst molds from the last 5 years, and made it worse. The "Kingdom" release was designed to look as good as possible (evoking the character model from the cartoon) in robot mode, with a beast mode that was arguably worse than the original "Beast Wars" Dinobot figure (from 25 years earlier). Target exclusive is made to look like the original toy that fans barely tolerated because they liked the show, from a time when standards were much lower. Easy skip.

Creatures Collide (4-pack): Goldbug, Ransack, Sky Wasp (based on a cancelled Waspinator recolor from ~20 years ago) and Skorponok. Looks good over all. The price after tax is actually less than the price of 4 single pack figures before tax. I have head nothing but awful things about Skorponok. But, the other 3 look promising. I picked this up, but have not had a chance to open it yet.