Transformers: King Grimlock

The modern comics universe has had such a different take on G1, one that's significantly represented by the Generations toys, so they share a forum. A modern take on a Real Cybertronian Hero. Currently starring Generations toys, IDW "The Transformers" comics, MTMTE, TF vs GI Joe, and Windblade. Oh wait, and now Skybound, wheee!
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Transformers: King Grimlock

Post by Dominic »

"King Grimlock" is a current IDW series, focusing on Grimlock's adventures in a "Dungeons and Dragons" type world. I have the first issue in my pull-file.

Anyone else buying in for this?
Ursus mellifera
Supreme-Class

Re: Transformers: King Grimlock

Post by Ursus mellifera »

Dominic wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:37 pm "King Grimlock" is a current IDW series, focusing on Grimlock's adventures in a "Dungeons and Dragons" type world. I have the first issue in my pull-file.

Anyone else buying in for this?
So, like, an entire comic based loosely around that G1 episode where Grimlock and Daniel get sucked through a Quintesson portal into DnD?

WHY?!
Check it out, a honey bear! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinkajou
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

I'm always in. Unless it reaches epic levels of suck, then I'm out, but threshold for that is ridiculously high.
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

I'll probably read it, it sounds like fun. Is it in continuity with the main series?
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

I have no idea how, or if, this fits with the main series.
Shockwave
Supreme-Class

Post by Shockwave »

Got the first issue. It starts off with Grimlock and Optimus fighting rogue Mechanibals, with Grimlock saying they should all be killed and Optimus saying that the remaining captured ones should be brought to justices. Then some green light shows up. Grimlock starts fighting it while Optimus says they should analyze it. No points for guessing that's the portal to Menonia. Grimlock fights off a small herd of large beasts and then a group of humans shows up. The head mage is there with his daughter and he explains the same situation from the cartoon episode. Apparently, Optimus was there before and helped them and they used the last of their magic to try to summon him again and instead got Grimlock. At this point, I have to point out that if Optimus had been there before, presumably summoned through the same portal, then why wouldn't he have recognized it when seeing it again? Anyway, Grimlock basically tells them that since they wanted Optimus and not him that they can defeat the Golden One on their own and wanders off. The mage's daughter goes after him, intending to fight the Golden either by herself and hoping to convince Grimlock to join her.

No indication as to where or if this fits into the current Transformers series. I'm going to guess probably not. The art was fine, I didn't see anything particularly bad, I could always tell what was going on, so that's good. Also, I suppose it's possible that Optimus could have gotten to Menonia before through Quintesson Science rather than magic, which would explain why he didn't recognize the portal, but I shouldn't have to be explaining that for them. I dunno, it isn't terrible so far, so I'm still in and it could be a fun little side series for the limited run that it's getting.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

Post by Dominic »

Finally read the first issue.

All told, this is not terrible. It is a throwback to the old Grimlock/Prime dynamics from the 80s. This is not the nuanced Prime of more recent comics (or even late US/UK comics), nor the move (where Prime was going to kill Megatron). This is Poncimus Prime, and it is easy to sympathize with Grimlock in the early pages.

So far, the plot-points are predictable, but not incompetently handled.

Note on where/how this fits: Grimlock seems to know what humans are, implying that he is familiar with Earth. If this series is meant to fit with the current series, it is set many years later.

Note on the art: The Golden One's face looks like the orange/laughing face on the old Quintesson control art. Nice touch.
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 2

Post by Dominic »

King Grimlock #2

Orlando has been doing a good job of using Grimlock's original character profile in this series. Grimlock despises weakness, but dislikes tyrants more. The plot is following the bildunsroman cliche, with the sword and sorcery backdrop.

Not the best comic I have read. But, good enough that I am willing to stick with it.

Grade: B/C
Dominic
Supreme-Class

issue 3

Post by Dominic »

Issue 3:

More or less continues from the last issue. Grimlock trains, and gains grudging respect for, one of the human factions before leading them in to a largely successful battle against one of the threats for the series. The big plot twist is that one of the characters that would at first seem to be playable in a regular RPG is in fact an NPC /adversary.

The art is better than the main series in terms of individual panels. But, it does not hold together in sequence.

Grade: B/C
andersonh1

Post by andersonh1 »

My shop was slack. They missed issues 1-2 but put issue 3 in my pull list. So now I have no idea how or why the characters are where they are in issue 3. I may just have to wait and read this in collected format.